Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello, currently i am a blackberry user but i am interested in the palm family of phones. Some quick questions that i have before i decide to jump over:

I am with ATT in the US and i have to stick with them.

1) Is the palm pre 2 for att? I did a search on craigslist and there is a seller for the pre 2 but when i searched the att website, there are no areas to buy the phone.

2) How can i tell the difference between a palm pre plus and a palm pre 2?

3) What is the most current OS version for the palm pre 2?

4) What is the current estimated app count on the palm market?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_predd View Post
    Hello, currently i am a blackberry user but i am interested in the palm family of phones. Some quick questions that i have before i decide to jump over:

I am with ATT in the US and i have to stick with them.

1) Is the palm pre 2 for att? I did a search on craigslist and there is a seller for the pre 2 but when i searched the att website, there are no areas to buy the phone.

2) How can i tell the difference between a palm pre plus and a palm pre 2?

3) What is the most current OS version for the palm pre 2?

4) What is the current estimated app count on the palm market?
    Palm pre2 is unlocked for all carriers

The Pre2 has a flat glass front while the Pre Plus has a rounded plastic front

Palm Pre 2 currently runs webOS 2.1 ... While the plus runs 1.4.5 with no OFFICIAL way to upgrade

Current app count is roughly 6000
    But whats in a # really?? What apps do you NEED

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 with at&t using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. Just noticed i put this in the wrong area. Not too worried about apps (coming from a blackberry).
    Quote Originally Posted by IamMedina View Post
    not all carriers... Only AT&T and Verizon.
    All carriers that use GSM , and also theres a version for verizon

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    You may want to wait--if you can--for the summer. By then, the Veer & Pre 3 will be out. Currently, no carriers named, however.
    BTW: You don't have to remind us to "be nice". This forum, as webOS, is unique.
    And be prepared to get answers before even hit the "send" button ;-)
  7.    #7  
    I dont know if i can wait til the summer. I switch phones alot. Ive gone from nexus one (android) to iphone 4 to Samsung focus (WP7) to blackberry torch. Kind of a phone nerd. Never really though as palm as a contender in the market. I really like the UI on the palm. Next question, can it do all the essentials?

WIFI
    VPN
    Telnet
    SSH
    VNC
    FTP
    File storage (access to the memory to store files)
    Word/ excel/ powerpoint/ PDF
    remote wipe/ locate/ lock via computer
    backup to computer
  8.    #8  
    Hmm well i really like the UI and the multitasking is hardcore.

Does it allow user to access memory like a USB drive? File storage. Does it have the ability to locate, wipe, or lock remotely?
    yes
    Hmm well i really like the UI and the multitasking is hardcore.

Does it allow user to access memory like a USB drive? File storage. Does it have the ability to locate, wipe, or lock remotely?
    1. Yes, sure
    2. Yes, sure via cloud
    So she asked: "What is it with you? Is it ignorance, or is it apathy? And I answered: "I don't know and I don't care."
    Does it allow user to access memory like a USB drive? File storage.
    What do you mean? You can access USB-Drive from PC/MAC (With USB cable) or via ssh wireless from PC/Mac, or in the device with homebrew software like "internalz".
    Does it have the ability to locate, wipe, or lock remotely?
    For locate you need a third party software/service (may cost money).
    Wipe/lock remotely is provided by HP/Palm.
  12.    #12  
    Is there anything you feel i would be missing switching from blackberry to palm pre 2?
    I don't know BB. I've heard about BB messaging you may miss.
    A daily reboot (automatically through homebrew-app) may help freeing memory.
    Next question, can it do all the essentials?

WIFI
    VPN
    Telnet
    SSH
    VNC
    FTP
    Word/ excel/ powerpoint/ PDF
    WIFI - Yes
    VPN - Cisco and vpnc
    Telnet - Not that I know
    SSH - Yes through home brew.
    VNC - There is an app, never tested
    FTP - New in app appstore, never tested
    Word/ excel/ powerpoint/ PDF - read only (and maybe buggy)
    Last edited by somline; 03/29/2011 at 02:00 PM.
    Next question, can it do all the essentials?

WIFI - Yes
    VPN - If you are willing to use Homebrew then maybe. Depends on the restrictions on the VPN endpoint and the client you need. OpenVPN and PreVPNc (MS PPTP and OpenVPN compatible) are the only clients I know of that are available and both are homebrew.
    Telnet - If you mean as a CLIENT then If you load Terminal or Terminus you should be able to use the busybox supplied Telnet. I do not know of a gui based tool to leverage the underlying Telnet. If you mean as a service on the phone to connect to it - I think so but I haven't had to do it.
    SSH - Dropbear and OpenSSH client and server are available (Homebrew)
    VNC - VNC Client PDK is available in the App Catalog. Other similar remote control packages exist.
    FTP - Not sure - SFTP server via Open SSH SFTP (Homebrew).
    File storage (access to the memory to store files) - USB mounted access is available. Some options over WiFi including webservers that run on the device etc.
    Word/ excel/ powerpoint/ PDF - Read ONLY and somewhat flakey with PDF.
    remote wipe/ locate/ lock via computer - Others say yes - I'm not sure of the details.
    backup to computer - yes with Save/Restore (Homebrew) and transfer off USB. Unclear to me if other options exist. Cloud based Palm/HP supplied backup is also available.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    FTP - New in app appstore, never tested
    What is this app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    What is this app?
    Looks very good: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...?highlight=ftp
  18.    #18  
    well i will be picking up my palm pre 2 this afternoon or tomorrow for 300.00 unlocked for att. Anything i should check for when i pick it up? common things that are defective like loose hinge or battery door?
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    That explains why I couldn't find it. It's only available today via 2.x not 1.x.
    well i will be picking up my palm pre 2 this afternoon or tomorrow for 300.00 unlocked for att. Anything i should check for when i pick it up? common things that are defective like loose hinge or battery door?
    The Pre and Pre Plus kinda had build quality issues, but rumor has it that the Pre 2 is pretty solid in that respect. There's nothing that's plaguing many users like there were in the first two iterations.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast