1.    #1  
    If I want to search a name through universal search and need one of the letters which have numbers as well (ie. e,r,t,d,e,f...) numbers come up instead of letters, as if I had pressed the blooming orange button, how come? I think it's pretty useless, is there a way to overcome this?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    When I type in those kind of letters I get the letters grayed out at top, and the numbers below. If you select google search it will google the letters not the numbers.
  3.    #3  
    I'm using the universal search mostly to find contacts, if a name starts with e,r,t,d,f,g,x,c,v the search is pointless as only numbers come up. What grey letters are you talking about?
    Was sucked into Palm when I bought the glorious Treo650, somehow subsequent phones didn't live up to expectations.
    I'm using 2.1 but I feel the behavior was the same with 1.4.5 I've attached a screenshot. I used the letters C and R. They appear in gray at the top, with the numbers below, and the contacts below that. Perhaps someone with 1.4.5 can verify?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the letters don't show, but any contacts with CR do come up.
    (Vz pre+, 1.4.5)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    the letters don't show, but any contacts with CR do come up.
    (Vz pre+, 1.4.5)
    damn it's true! what a muppet.. I focused on the numbers showing and stopped the search, if you keep on searching the numbers then become letters.. somehow bizarre but fine
    Pre 1.4.5
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    The numbers come out on top, but starting w/the 1st letter or number, you should also see apps that have the letter in the title.

For example, let's use Fred (all 4 letters are also numbers). As you continue, you will also get apps & contacts and eventually (if not an app or contact in your Pre that match) the places to search like google, wikipedia, etc. appear.

Using Fred, when I type the F, 5 shows at the top, but I also get 9 apps that have a word starting w/an F. As I type FR, at top it says 52, but I also have 2 apps showing that use Fr & I have about 10 contacts that appear. Once I type FRE, at top it shows the numbers 521, there are still 2 apps (their title has the word free in it), and I now have 1 contact whose 1st name is Fred.

A better way to look for a name, IMO, is to use the initials of the 1st & last name. For example, if my contact's name is Fred Conrad, I type FC. On the top line are the numbers 58, but below that are contacts, including Fred Conrad, that use FC.

I have a Pre- and am using webOS 1.45, so it may be slightly different if you are on 2.x.x but I bet it is similar.
  8.    #8  
    blimey, I must say using initials is pretty clever, maybe not that practical if you can't remember the full name, still, pretty clever indeed..