Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Looks like my original Pre is pretty close to death. I missed having Sprint replace it just before its warranty expired, so this is a post-launch phone I got in August of 2009. By the looks of it one of the sliders is detaching and it's messing with the volume buttons. The screen is still responsive, but the spidering from the USB door makes me think it could go at any time.

Digging around in the forums, it sounds like there's a couple options to wait for Sprint to confirm they are/aren't going to stay on the webOS bandwagon:

1. Buy a replacement on Craigslist for ~$75
    2. Have Sprint "fix" it
    3. Get a Pre 2 and FrankenPre it with the original comm board

There's pros and cons for each of the options, and I'll probably need to make a decision within the next week or two.

It seems like a lot of folks have gone with the first option, but does that make the most sense? It looks pretty cheap and easy; and it gives me a second handset to "play" with. Does anyone know what Sprint will do for repair, or are they going to push the Pixi/Droid? I'll drop in on a store later this week to find out, but knowing in advance will be helpful.
    As for the FrankenPre, what are down sides to that besides effort and cost? Am I sacrificing anything by going that route, or more importantly, does it make more sense to go this route because I'm a fool to think that Sprint will carry anything besides the Pixi?

Any feedback and experiences would be awesome.
    Option 3 is the best by far. For option 1, you risk getting a Pre that might have problems of its own, especially if it's more than a year old. For option 2, they might just give you a replacement, and replacements are more often than not just bad. I've done option 3 and so far, no downside.

If you want to do it the cheapest route, you could do it yourself. You just need a steady hand, good eyes, and the ability to follow directions. You'll also need T5 screwdrivers, which I got off Amazon for $6, shipping included. Alternately, you could pay the folks at webOS World to FrankenPre it, but that will set you back at least $60.

You could also FrankenPre a Pre Plus and put 2.1 on it. Most people report similar performance between the Pre 2 and an overclocked Pre Plus running 2.1. With the Pre 2, the main things you get are a better keyboard and better screen.
    So you DON'T have Total Equipment Protection? Because you could walk into a Sprint factory store and get a refurb for free if you did. It will take from 24 - 48 hours to get it. I would suggest having a reason other than a physical one (it's cracked, beat up, and looks ugly!) that causes your phone not to work properly - volume buttons should do it. I had a squirrely power button that got one replaced for free. But I'm not sure it mattered. There were no questions asked.

If you don't have TEP, I'd say get one on craigslist/ebay and then use your upgrade towards a Pr3. Just my cheapskate opinion. ;-)
    Palm IIIx > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre
    That's what I would do to, you can find them for even less on Craigslist these days...
    Also, there's a seller on Ebay Alltechwholesale which sells Pre's everyday, just check the description to make sure the condition is ok.
    For instance, this 'mint' condition Pre sold today for $50 + $9 shipping:
    Palm Pre (Sprint) - Mint Condition!!! - eBay (item 150582510432 end time Mar-28-11 15:10:00 PDT)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    So you DON'T have Total Equipment Protection? Because you could walk into a Sprint factory store and get a refurb for free if you did. It will take from 24 - 48 hours to get it. I would suggest having a reason other than a physical one (it's cracked, beat up, and looks ugly!) that causes your phone not to work properly - volume buttons should do it. I had a squirrely power button that got one replaced for free. But I'm not sure it mattered. There were no questions asked.

If you don't have TEP, I'd say get one on craigslist/ebay and then use your upgrade towards a Pr3. Just my cheapskate opinion. ;-)
    im thinking that you are either VERY charming, or you still had warranty on your pre because i've had to call the 'total equiptment protection' claim line and they will not send a new phone without payment of the $100 deductable first.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    As long as you have the total protection equipment plan, they replace it as long as the issues don't involve physical damage.
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D