webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Transfer contacts to "dumb" phone
Transfer contacts to "dumb" phone

Old 03/24/2011, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

PrePals:

My wife is going to abandon her Palm pre for an LG Accolade "dumb" phone. She just wants something to make calls. Long story. In any event, what is the best way to transfer the contacts if possible? She is syncing the pre with GMail and Google contacts.
dndrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2011, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

When she gets her new phone she can just take it to the Verizon store (I'm assuming that's the carrier for the Accolade) & have them transfer her contacts from the Pre to the new phone.
SmartFah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
When she gets her new phone she can just take it to the Verizon store (I'm assuming that's the carrier for the Accolade) & have them transfer her contacts from the Pre to the new phone.
I'm hoping for a software method I can do at home. All her contacts are synced with google.
Old 03/24/2011, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK, I'm gonna answer my own post in case anybody else has to do this.

First, go to Google and export your contacts as an MS Outlook csv file. Then, filter that file to only have contacts with phone numbers. Activate the new dumb phone and download Verizon backup assistant. It is free. Now, go to the Verizon website and go to backup assistant. You can import the contacts. They are then pushed to the phone. Works just fine.
Old 03/24/2011, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for posting up your DIY solution for future posters.

Smartfah's right, though. Even if they're in Google contacts, pretty sure you can still walk into a VZW store with the two phones and get them transfered. They have some magical box that pulls them from the internal memory.

Still wonder how that thing works. If that bugger can transfer contacts from any phone to any other phone, why can't manufacturers give us a solution like that to do ourselves?

At any rate, I like your solution all the more. Lets you make sure you didn't miss anything.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/24/2011, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Thanks for posting up your DIY solution for future posters.

Smartfah's right, though. Even if they're in Google contacts, pretty sure you can still walk into a VZW store with the two phones and get them transfered. They have some magical box that pulls them from the internal memory.

Still wonder how that thing works. If that bugger can transfer contacts from any phone to any other phone, why can't manufacturers give us a solution like that to do ourselves?

At any rate, I like your solution all the more. Lets you make sure you didn't miss anything.
Could be. But the Palm Pre is a unique beast, and they have so little knowledge of it in the Verizon store. I bet they can't do it!

Furthermore, we did our phone upgrade online. It was much cheaper than the Verizon store for the same phone (free for us, and no mail in rebate difficulties), and they overnight it to you. So, I was at home doing this. It really worked perfectly.
Old 03/24/2011, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm on Sprint. I'm not sure if the DIY solution you listed would work on Sprint. Usually when ever I upgrade a phone I transfer the contacts at the Sprint store. Best Buy is also able to do it as well, which I did when I bought my Pre.

I'm glad you were able to get it done without having to go to the Verizon store.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 03/24/2011, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Verizon needed to have some kind of solution because of no gsm sim card. So, many of their phones can run this backup assistant. The pre does not have that. So, I had to come up with some solution.

Sadly, this ends our chapter with pre. I changed to iPhone 4 with Verizon once I had a calendar solution that would work with them. ubercalendar is very good on pre though. And now my wife is on the dumbphone. Go figure.
Old 03/25/2011, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

perhaps this is the "magical" thing they do: CelleBrite Export:
http://m.precentral.net/export-all-your-contacts

Takes all your contacts in your phone ( not just google) and puts it in a .vcf on the USB accessible drive.

The sad thing is most dumb phones can send these .vcf files via bluetooth having all contacts tranfered wireless with no problem. Only Palm resists to implement the right BT profile for file transfer

Last edited by gizmo21; 03/25/2011 at 01:43 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0