1.    #1  
    First, let me describe my Smartphone history...

Nokia 9110 -> Nokia 9210 -> Treo 260 -> various Windows mobile/smartphone -> various Blackberries -> various Androids (plus a few I've left out - and the Blackberries/Windows overlapped)

The point where I went Android was the point where I'd decided that the Palm Pre was the device for me - but Palm, in their infinite wisdom, decided that they weren't going to launch in the UK until some 6 months after the US launch for no readily apparent reason. By the time the Pre made it to the UK market I was the proud owner of an HTC Magic.

Anyway, one HTC Desire later I thought I'd never migrate from Android, but after noticing that Expansys were virtually throwing reconditioned Pre- devices around I bought one to have a play with and see what I'd missed out on. I expected it to be a novelty, at best something to stash as a spare phone, and certainly not expecting it to replace my current HTC Desire.

And the verdict: roger me sideways with a hedgehog! WebOS is quite frankly the best mobile OS I've ever seen, combining the aesthetics of iOS with the power of Android with a multitasking approach that blows both away. WebOS 2.1 and Uberkernel later, and this aging Pre- has overtaken my Desire (in theory a superior device) to become my primary phone.

But now I want more. Having seen how well WebOS 2.1 runs on the Pre- - to my eyes, slick, smooth and as if the phone was designed for it - I can't help but wonder what the experience would be like on a device that IS designed for it.

Expansys have the Pre 2 for 300-ish quid and I am sorely tempted. The budget option would be to pick up a Pre + on ebay for slightly more than half of that, which would double my RAM. But would either of them, genuinely, perform that much better than my overclocked Pre-? Would I be better off waiting for the Pre3 (noting that it's likely to be next century before they deign to let us Brits get our hands on them)? I am due an upgrade from Vodafone about May, so it is conceivable I'd be able to pick up a Pre3 for free, or very little, in return for signing up for another 2 years.

Thoughts, advice, etc would be very welcome, especially from other Brits.
    Forum user Palml0ver uploaded a youtube video of 2.1 OC'ed on her Pre+ and frankly it blows my Pre- out of the water. I wouldn't say 2.1 runs on mine "as if the phone was designed for it," though, so you may be having simply having a better experience than I.

My plan is to to possibly plus my pre, skip the Pre2 and pick up a Pre3 with my upgrade in July. I'm a yankee though, so feel free to dismiss this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Forum user Palml0ver uploaded a youtube video of 2.1 OC'ed on her Pre+ and frankly it blows my Pre- out of the water. I wouldn't say 2.1 runs on mine "as if the phone was designed for it," though, so you may be having simply having a better experience than I.

My plan is to to possibly plus my pre, skip the Pre2 and pick up a Pre3 with my upgrade in July. I'm a yankee though, so feel free to dismiss this.
    Well I've tweaked the thing fairly extensively - I did a lot of hacking on the HTC Magic with Hero/Sense ROMs, where we had to get around similar limitations of RAM on the device with respect to what the OS was designed for. So I am already pretty savvy about compcache, CPU governors (although some of what I "knew" as common wisdom in Android-land seems to be the reverse in Pre-land). I'm running UberKernel at 1000/250 (don't buy this race to idle stuff, sorry), screenstate governor, noop I/O scheduling and 32Mb of compcache. I am hyper-aware though that I seem to have got a very good result on the overclocking front - have had only one Luna crash since getting the device a week ago, and that was when I tried ondemand.
    if i were you Loccy I would just buy a Pre + and skip the PRE 2. I'm in the same boat as you where my Pre- is getting pretty old but I don't want to drop 300+ for a sprint pre 2. I'm going to find a cheap pre + and sprint it out.

If we were going to have to wait another year for the PRE 3 then i would say PRE 2 but hopefully the pre 3 will launch this summer with the touchpad
    - Skinneejay -
    If you don't want to spend the money on the Pre 2, then the Pre+ is a suitable replacement. From the video psychonaut mentioned, an overclocked Pre+ running 2.1 performs nearly as well as a Pre 2 (in fact, identically for various functions). A Pre 2 will still perform better, and still has gorilla glass and an improved keyboard, but a Pre+ is a good bargain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loccy View Post
    ...roger me sideways with a hedgehog!
    Keepin' it classy, I see.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    if i were you Loccy I would just buy a Pre + and skip the PRE 2. I'm in the same boat as you where my Pre- is getting pretty old but I don't want to drop 300+ for a sprint pre 2. I'm going to find a cheap pre + and sprint it out.

If we were going to have to wait another year for the PRE 3 then i would say PRE 2 but hopefully the pre 3 will launch this summer with the touchpad
    Bear in mind that my Pre- is "new" - or at least, sold by an electronics company with a year's guarantee as a reconditioned unit - and also bear in mind that I paid 140 for it only a week ago! So I don't need - yet - to worry about it falling apart. That said, if I were to go for a Plus, I would probably be able to recover my money for the Pre- on ebay. Hindsight being a wonderful thing, if a week ago I'd known what I knew now I'd have bought the second hand Plus from ebay rather than the "new" Pre-. But if I were to stick with this Pre-, I'd hope it would last at least a year in its current state.

Having had a look at the video - which is very helpful - honestly, I don't see much difference, so perhaps I've just been extraordinarily lucky with my 2.1 installation/experience. I don't have nearly as many apps installed (yet!), but what I do have, loading them and swiping between cards and screens in the launcher - it seems just as smooth. When I really, really hammer it (i.e. go into the launcher and run app after app after app after app, not letting the previous app finish loading) I might get the odd fraction-second stall occasionally - but then that happened from time to time in the video, too, and isn't the sort of thing you do in normal use (and best of luck trying that on iOS or Android, even on a top-of-the-line unit)

So my gut feeling now is to run this Pre- into the ground until the Pre3 comes out, as my particular unit would appear to be something of a diamond...!

I must admit I'm tempted to doctor back to 1.4.whatever and try that on UberKernel @ 1GHz on my unit. Truth be told, apart from stacking cards there's not THAT much on 2.1 that I need. And I think 1.4.xxx would fly on my device. I never left it on my device long enough to even take a look at it

Thanks for the input, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    Keepin' it classy, I see.
    Always, mate, always!
  8.    #8  
    So I decided to buy the Plus off ebay anyway. The thing that clinched it was the thought that the Pre 3 might not come out in the UK between now and doomsday, Expansys' stock levels of reconditioned Pre-'s is between 1-5, and if I were to break my Pre- I wouldn't have a backup. So, plan is to get the Plus, overclock and 2.1 it, see which device runs best and then run that into the ground until I can get my paws on a Pre3. If I run it into the ground too soon, I've got the second device on standby.

Of course, I've probably now spent as much money as I would have for a Pre2, but hey, thems the breaks.

Expect some dev work from me at some point, incidentally, once I've got my training wheels off and know my way around
    Well, if you're gonna be doing dev work, you could try to apply for a developer Pre 2. At the moment they are out of stock and backed up on requests, but hey, you have nothing to lose by throwing your name in for consideration.

Forums webOS • View topic - Free Pre 2 for developers