1.    #1  
    can anyone tell me why palm told me that the pre can't stream netflix because it don't have flash player, yet when the iphone gos on netflix it sure can....n it don't have flash player...help is there anything a homebrewer can do??? I wish I could brew..lol
    No flash because it's a huge memory hog. No Netflix because the development team has said that it's very difficult to employ a strong encryption system that the movie studios and publishing companies want on an "open" platform where it's relatively trivial for the end-user to access the internals. They said this about the Android platform, so I'd imagine they're not looking to kindly on the WebOS platform where it's several magnitudes easier to get inside the phone.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I (think I) remember seeing Netflix logos during the Feb. 9 event on the big screen

To me, means a Netflix app is on its way
    VZW Pre 2 on 2.1

Thanks webOS Internals!

@thereddestdog
  4.    #4  
    would flash player have anything to do with this streaming or nahh....?thx
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Netflix does not use flash for streaming and never did.
    so netflix is afraid we might find away to download the movies instead of just streaming it due to the fact that webos is a very open os?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by balla2g2 View Post
    so netflix is afraid we might find away to download the movies instead of just streaming it due to the fact that webos is a very open os?
    They have expressed some concern for that for Andriod. I don't think they've said anything official about webOS but they could have the same concerns.
    http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html
    [QUOTE=crabbz;2919031]They have expressed some concern for that for Andriod. I don't think they've said anything official about webOS but they could have the same concerns.
    [url]

well you can't be mad at them. They are only protecting their company. And lets be real if its possible to download it a lot of us will. Then the worst of us will burn dvds and sell them... SMH
    Quote Originally Posted by balla2g2 View Post
    well you can't be mad at them. They are only protecting their company. And lets be real if its possible to download it a lot of us will. Then the worst of us will burn dvds and sell them... SMH
    Frankly, I call bunk on that. The people that would be downloading movies from Netflix would have to be Netflix subscribers anyway. I suppose someone could sign up for Netflix's free trial, download as much as possible during the trial, then cancel. However, if you're ethically impaired and want to download movies, the Pirate Bay has a much better selection than Netflix and is a lot simpler than installing some hack on your phone.

The worst people that will burn DVDs and sell them already know about the Pirate Bay - where by the way, you can get full-resolution versions rather than cell phone resolution versions. Frankly, if you're going to be selling bootleg DVDs, it's probably easiest to just buy the movie and make copies of that.

Maybe Netflix really is worried about getting ripped off by their WebOS-using subscribers, but they shouldn't be.
    Netflix uses Silverlight, no?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    it will come with the qualcomm chips. they have embedded security for netflix streaming...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    correct. Which makes me wonder if HP is going to look into porting Moonlight to webOS so their phones, tablets, etc can view sites using Silverlight.

Moonlight - Mono
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLitwiller View Post
    Frankly, I call bunk on that. The people that would be downloading movies from Netflix would have to be Netflix subscribers anyway. I suppose someone could sign up for Netflix's free trial, download as much as possible during the trial, then cancel. However, if you're ethically impaired and want to download movies, the Pirate Bay has a much better selection than Netflix and is a lot simpler than installing some hack on your phone.

The worst people that will burn DVDs and sell them already know about the Pirate Bay - where by the way, you can get full-resolution versions rather than cell phone resolution versions. Frankly, if you're going to be selling bootleg DVDs, it's probably easiest to just buy the movie and make copies of that.
    Seriously. Furthermore...why would you rip them in crappy cell quality when you can get the DVD from Netflix, rip it with Handbrake, and dump it on your PS3?

A lot of it is that Netflix is sitting in a puddle of **** because it does not have the balls to stand up to the demands of content providers in order to please their customers and is thick as thieves with Microsoft. Content providers demand that customers can only stream on a certain number of devices max and a certain number of devices simultaneously, which Netflix has to enforce.

Content providers keep trying to find the most impractical and pedantic ways to force customers to buy DVDs or subscribe to premium networks, throwing their weight around where it does no good (paying Netflix subscribers) because they've failed miserably were the most harm occurs - MU, MF, and torrents. They want someone to provide them with the illusion of control AND a disgusting amount of money - which is why you will never see Netflix on Linux. Microsoft will never release their Silverlight linux plugin for non-commercial uses.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    They use silverlight for streaming on the PC but that doesn't mean they use it everywhere. Other platforms can use whatever tech they want. The ps3 app reportedly uses html5.
    http://techblog.netflix.com/2010/12/...-for-user.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    it will come with the qualcomm chips. they have embedded security for netflix streaming...
    This is more to the point: mobile platforms that want to stream netflix need to support its DRM. I don't think the Pre +/- or even Pre2 have this support.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    This is more to the point: mobile platforms that want to stream netflix need to support its DRM. I don't think the Pre +/- or even Pre2 have this support.

Oooooorrrrrrrrr.....Netflix could explore different means of DRM and delivery more befitting a platform besides the content provider mandated one.

Edit: Trust me, if Netflix wanted to really serve its customers, they would be on every device out there. They would have figured out the DRM "problem" and moved beyond it by now. ESPECIALLY with Android being number one and all the little arrogant lusers that ridiculed Linux users asking for Netflix for years finally realizing they are essentially asking for Linux support. But more than winning the support of their customers, they care about bending over for their content providers. Anytime Netflix spends you a yarn about "DRM" or "resources", it's nothing but code word for "Yes, we realize it would benefit our customers to do this and we'd have done it already except: A) we signed a deal with Microsoft or B) we agreed to a petty demand from content providers."
    Last edited by malpha; 03/26/2011 at 12:35 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I am a orginal PRE user (it's a good backup now) - Homebrewed to the Hilt .. Overclocked and overtweaked. I have to absolutely agree with the failed support from Netflix.

I have been using my EVO 4g to stream Netflix for a bit. I'm Rooted/tweaked/overclocked - It's amazing quality on my phone and it's a nearly flawless stream (I know that it's easy to say .. but I am referring to a solid data signal/3 or more bars - even better when the WiMax is HOT).

I wish one of these top notch devs would push this out for the PRE, let us decide if the choppy quality fails. I think we would be surprised. I still love my PRE and am not giving it up yet!!