1.    #1  
    So I was syncing my AT&T Pre Plus with WMP the other day when WMP locked up. I close it and unplugged the Pre. It never came back from USB mode, so I tried to reboot it, and it got stuck on the Palm logo. I reset it with the WebOS doctor a couple of times from a couple of different computers using the same custom version I had installed before (to get around needing to activate the SIM, long story) and also with a fresh AT&T ROM. I tried the hold button three times. I tried taking the battery out for five minutes and turning it on then taking the battery out for five minutes and turning it on again. I've tried charging it completely. I've tried booting it without the battery in, then without the SIM, then without both. It never gets past the Palm logo. Right now it's on the charger trying to boot, same place it's been for the past three hours. It spent all day plugged into my computer trying to restore it. The battery must be full.

Is there anything else I've forgotten? If I have to take it back to AT&T, I'm trading it in for another phone. I really don't want to trade it in for another phone.

To avoid any "I don't understand your situation" stories, AT&T is buying my CDMA carrier, and they've sent us our replacement phones earlier than they're being activated, so I just got it two weeks ago, and had to flash a custom ROM to get past the "Your SIM is not activated" screen. So if I take it back now, I can get another of the phones they're offering me for free, I only got the Pre because I wanted a physical keyboard.
    did you try using webOS doctor to put it back to factory fresh? It's pretty much impossible to brick a Pre, so I'm sure we can get it running again.

Unfortunately I'm on Verizon, so I can't say much about the SIM card, but running the doctor in emergency mode always works.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I tried with the custom ROM I had running before and also with a fresh ROM straight from Palm's site. I don't know what emergency mode is, but I ran WebOS Doctor and turned my Pre on by holding down volume up and plugging it in.
    Did you install any custom kernels on your pre? I had this issue when i tried to update the OC kernel on my device and there is a way to get it to work again. Let me know if this is your issue.
    The up-volume method is recovery mode. Are you saying that the doctor failed to run to completion?

It sounds like chertik0ff may have some ideas. I don't know what you mean by "custom ROM" because that's not a term used around webOS. What exactly are you referring to? Were you trying to everclock the device?
  6.    #6  
    I had UberKernel installed, yes.

By "custom ROM" I mean I had a customized version of WebOS installed with the first boot activation turned off. It wouldn't boot without an active SIM card, so I had to modify the OS to get around it. I followed instructions for that from WebOS Internal's Wiki.

When I used WebOS Doctor to try to fix the issue, it ran to completion every time and rebooted my Pre just like it should, but the Pre never finished booting. It's been on the charger trying to boot since the last time I posted, still just saying "Pre" on a black screen. I'm pretty sure I've done everything right according to the posts I've read about it (detailed in my first post), and nothing worked. I don't know if there's anything else I can do, hopefully chertik0ff's idea can help. Sorry for replying late, I am helping a friend get married this weekend.
    Try the steps in this wiki. It worked for me. Good luck.
    Memboot - WebOS Internals
  8.    #8  
    Chertik0ff, I can't thank you enough. I followed the directions, and it's booting right now. I'm going to put this trick in my pocket for a rainy day (or the next time something inexplicable happens). Thanks, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefreehunter View Post
    Chertik0ff, I can't thank you enough. I followed the directions, and it's booting right now. I'm going to put this trick in my pocket for a rainy day (or the next time something inexplicable happens). Thanks, man.
    No problemo. Someone helped me out before, and I am happy to pass the info down the road. That's why this community rocks!