Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone truly know if Sprint is getting a replacement from Palm/HPalm for the Pre?

I'm trying to decide if I should try to get a replacement Pre or just move on to Android system (as reluctant as I am).

Please someone talk to me...
    No real word yet as to whether they will pick up the Pre 3..

...but...you can upgrade your phone to stay with it...so don't give up!
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
  3.    #3  
    I so don't want to give up on OS but I can actually save money by going to Evo Shift or the Epic because I could get rid of my broad band card then and use the HotSpot for $20 less.

I'm soooooooooooo conflicted. I was going to originally ask if I could tether with my original Pre but now this crack has be baffled.

I paid for MyTether and could never get it to work
    You could use freeTether. It works great.

Also, if you have the chance to do so, it would be nice to look into upgrading your Pre into a Pre 2.
    crack by the usb door? I stopped mine with super glue.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Tough for anyone to give you any carrier information when none has been released or leaked. There's going to be a device for Sprint, but we just have to wait to find out what and when. I've got a big crack coming up across my gesture area, but as long as it still works, I'm still holding on. =]
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I applaud the maturity shown in this thread and lack of innuendo and giggles at the thread title. I dropped my Pre+ and now it looks like 2Face from Batman, one side is horribly scarred
    If u put your sprint radio into a Pre+ or a Pre2, you'd be sooooo happy. There are several members that will do the surgery for you, or help you do it yourself.

Everyone that has reported back on that is so glad they did...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If u put your sprint radio into a Pre+ or a Pre2, you'd be sooooo happy. There are several members that will do the surgery for you, or help you do it yourself.

Everyone that has reported back on that is so glad they did...
    WebOS World can help with that too. Last time I tried to get someone referred to them I got a warning. Not sure if I can do that now but I can tell you it's quality service and Pre+/Pre 2 is worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    My Sprint Pre has the USB crack also but my screen protector has kept it from spreading across the screen.
    The USB crack is a known issue but my Pre- is pretty old I just hope it holds out long enough for Sprint to get new hardware. If not by this summer I guess I will have to reluctantly get an Android Nexus S 4G
    Check it out...the ONLY front housing without the digitizer that I could find on the net:

OEM Palm Pre Front Housing

You have to buy 3 at a time(10.99 each), but I bet they would sell pretty quickly here on on Ebay..
    Just for fun I recently iquired with Palm support about this issue and their only options were...send in for repair...$199.00 or do preship replacement...$199.00 plus I think there were shipping charges involved.

I thought that was pretty crazy...............
    If your Pre- is broken, and you don't have insurance replacement, I would say try to pick up a Pre 2 somewhere and swap comm boards. If you're afraid of doing it yourself, get webOS World to do it.
    check eBay for front housings without the digitzer, I recently bought one for $16. It is shipped from China so expect a significant delay.
    Quote Originally Posted by pengc99 View Post
    check eBay for front housings without the digitzer, I recently bought one for $16. It is shipped from China so expect a significant delay.
    Holy smokes...that is correct...cept it comes WITH a digitizer.

Housing Top Digitizer Touch Screen Cover for Palm PRE - eBay (item 130491737923 end time Mar-29-11 04:04:13 PDT)

Pengc...Does it work well? I can see getting a plastic cover from Hong Kong..but the digitizer I'd be a little concerned about..especially after getting my son's DS from there..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Holy smokes...that is correct...cept it comes WITH a digitizer.

Pengc...Does it work well? I can see getting a plastic cover from Hong Kong..but the digitizer I'd be a little concerned about..especially after getting my son's DS from there..lol
    That looks like just the screen cover, however, I was looking through the pre disassemble guides and it looks like the digitizer and the lcd screen are glued together.

How were you able to replace this part?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikirumata View Post
    That looks like just the screen cover, however, I was looking through the pre disassemble guides and it looks like the digitizer and the lcd screen are glued together.

How were you able to replace this part?

That's the most legit place I have been able to find....but because you have to order 3, I haven't done it yet...

That's the most legit place I have been able to find....but because you have to order 3, I haven't done it yet...
    man! I just ordered the one off ebay! Oh well, well see about the quality when it comes in!

Good luck!

Anyone have any instructions on how to replace this part?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikirumata View Post
    man! I just ordered the one off ebay! Oh well, well see about the quality when it comes in!

Good luck!

Anyone have any instructions on how to replace this part?
    Here's one:

Rapid Repair - Palm Pre Repair Guide by RapidRepair
    Yikes! I hope there is a more concise guide on how to replace the screen housing.

This one step bugs me though.

Step 10

After removal of the board from step 8 we can clearly see the LCD/digitizer combo.

The LCD and capacitive touchscreen are permanently glued together. This means if either goes bad or is damaged, both must be replaced

Currently we have not found a way to separate the LCD from the digitizer. Looks like people will be paying for both parts if one should fail.
    I haven't gotten my part yet, but do you think this will hinder my efforts to replace the screen housing?

Here is a video link I found. This is starting to get a bit complicated.

Last edited by ikirumata; 03/25/2011 at 09:50 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast