Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    Little background...

    Been on AT$T since 1999, Cingular before that, and Bellsouth Mobility before that, so we're talking since about the early-to-mid 90's.

    Saw that creepy ghost-girl commercial when Pre was first released, and kinda' dismissed it. Kept seeing it on the web, tech sites, etc... About 4-6 mos ago, decided I'd try to find a cheap one to play with.

    Scanner CraigsList, eBay, etc... for months, until last week - found a NIB unit for $139 on fleaBay.

    Arrived, and #%$^&! What I have been MISSING!

    Now I understand why it has a following...everything just....makes sense!
    Got it, installed 1.4.5 on it, and actually haven't used my Captivate in about 5-6 days, and really not missing it! had bought an Atrix on release day, but returned it within 72 hours - HSUPA is intentionally disabled, bootloader locked. Before the Captivate, I had an unlocked moto backflip (yeah. feel my pain). Captivate is running Cognition ROM.

    Looking forward to seeing what HPalm releases this summer in the Pre3.

    In the meantime, I'll continue playing...

    FYI, if any of you need accessories, scan the Radio Shacks in your areas.
    Touchstone dock kits w/ Pre TS cover are $6.97. LEather horizontal Palm-brand cases are $4.97.
    original Palm car chargers are $5/ea right now at wireless.att.com. Needless to say, I stocked up on about 1/2 dozen TS docks, 3 cases, etc..
  2. #2  
    haha, youre sooooooooooooo late to the game. RS has had those on sale for awhile.
    check out verizons online store. they have car charger+touchstones for 10 bucks iirc (but this was a couple weeks ago)

    definetly look into preware and overclocking your pre. you will fall in love with it all over again. Once you get comfortable look into meta doctoring webOS 2.1

    welcome to the community!
  3. #3  
    welcome!

    Get preware installed on that thing, overclock it to 1ghz and enjoy getting your mind blown.
  4.    #4  
    As to lateness, my bad, just wanted to make sure everyone knew

    As to 2.1, have the instructions changed?
    I remember the wiki mentioning a way to get 2.1.0 dev info, and a 2.1.0 profile, but it'd be hard.
    Is that gone now?

    Does it work if done with a new, blank profile?

    Oh, an already preware'd, and UberKernel'd
    This is one bada$$ little phone!

    I'm just amazed at how natural webOS flows.

    For example, while I was driving RatShack to RatShack Saturday on my accessory hunt, I had the phone card open, google maps open, and a browser with radioshack.com store locator open. It was SOOOOO easy to just flick back-and-forth, I can't even IMAGINE how difficult it'd be on the Captivate! I'd be long-pressing the home key every single time I wanted to switch!!! flick to broser, click on the phone number, which brings to focus the phone app, hit dial, ask, if nothing, flick back to browser, etc...

    Amazing.
    Can't wait to see what HPalm has up it's sleeve!

    I'm just sorry I didn't get one earlier!
  5.    #5  
    Installed 2.1.0 last night - man, made the Pre+ even nicer!

    Kudos to the guys doing all the work in the background!!!
  6. #6  
    It's really great to see this. Someone picking up one of the older Pre models, after having used Android on a much more powerful device, and still loving every minute of it. This is why webOS is awesome.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Installed 2.1.0 last night - man, made the Pre+ even nicer!

    Kudos to the guys doing all the work in the background!!!
    [morphous]Welcome to the real world...[/morphous] Welcome aboard.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    It's really great to see this. Someone picking up one of the older Pre models, after having used Android on a much more powerful device, and still loving every minute of it. This is why webOS is awesome.
    +1

    This new card view in 2.1.0 is unbelievable.
    I'm showing co-workers, and their jaws are dropping.

    And these are iFruit sheep, EVO owners, Tmo/ATT/Verizon Galaxy S owners...

    It just freaking makes SENSE when you navigate around, flipping cards.

    I'm like a kid in a candy store, flipping the cards just to, um, well, flip the cards
  9. #9  
    your inspiring me to install 2.1 on my pre+
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    your inspiring me to install 2.1 on my pre+
    Just passing it on...
    Garage91 inspired me to do it!

    It was simple, even for a Pre/WebOS n00b like me!

    Makes a huge visual difference.


    EDIT: Just called AT$T to verify it was indeed new and never sold, which it appeared to be, and sure enough, they said warranty through 3/16/2012, which is 1 year after I first popped the SIM in.

    They also gave me the unlock code, since I'm not under contract, and purchased it outright.

    AT$T is such a mixed bag - sometimes you want to slap the taste out of their mouth, and other times, they just do things right.
    Last edited by Sharkonwheels; 03/21/2011 at 05:34 PM.
  11.    #11  
    So much stuff...

    What are the proper steps to get tethering on an AT$T Pre Plus with WebOS 2.1.0?
    This is really the only thing I'm missing from the Captivate with Android 2.2.
  12. #12  
    Look for 'freetether' in Preware.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  13.    #13  
    FYI, donation made for MyTether - hopefully he gets it working on GSM 2.1.0 Pre+ units.

    Searched for "freetether" in preware, results = 0.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    FYI, donation made for MyTether - hopefully he gets it working on GSM 2.1.0 Pre+ units.

    Searched for "freetether" in preware, results = 0.
    Unfortunatly your "donation" is going to be just that. You won't get the software and even if you do it is not complaint with 2.x The myTether application has been dead software for awhile and the developer basically doesn't support or keep up with anything. It was good to start but there has since been better activities.

    What you need to do is install the testing feeds in preware. Just google a guide for webosinternals testing feeds. Once those are in you will be able to install freetether by searching in preware.

    freetether is the only working homebrew solution for 2.x and currently only shows up with the testing feeds.
  15.    #15  
    Figured out the freetether last night by googling it, and found the instructions for adding the feed, thanks.

    Sounds tacky, but should I got to PP to get the $ back, if there is indeed no work being done on MyTether?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Figured out the freetether last night by googling it, and found the instructions for adding the feed, thanks.

    Sounds tacky, but should I got to PP to get the $ back, if there is indeed no work being done on MyTether?
    Highly doubtful PP will give you the cash back because it is being made as a donation. I could be wrong, but they tend not to refund since it's money given to a "cause" and not a "service/product".
    Treo 680 -> Palm Pre Plus
    WebOS is next to godliness
  17.    #17  
    Update....FYI, PP shockingly enough gave the $$ back.

    I guess the guy not replying to any communications, even request for info from PP, was enough to tilt it in my favor.

    On Topic: Still enjoying the Pre+.

    Still have NOT removed my SIM and put it back in the Captivate

    Did cheat a little from 3/31 - 4/12, and removed the SIM from the work blackberry and use it in the Captivate. But, at that time I had both the Pre+ and the Captivate running, so it kinda' counts!

    Anyways, from an observer that's used all kinds of gear the past 5 years, the only thing holding the Pre series back, I'd have to say, is lack of 3rd party support.

    HPalm's gonna have to step their game up to get 3rd party support rolling.

    Without that, you're talking purely life support.
  18.    #18  
    Just an update...

    Been using the Pre+ basically full-time since I purchased it.
    Only time I powered on the Captivate, was to copy something off of it.
    Sat in my laptop bag for weeks without use...

    However...

    I had to revert back to it about a week ago, seeing as there is zero VoIP/SIP support for WebOS. Been working on an Asterisk system at work, and needed a SIP client.

    IMO, that is REALLY needed.
    I know the cat with the new browser is working on it, and I hope he gets it out.

    Other than that, when I don't need the SIP clients, like weekends, I go back to the Pre+

    I'm too used to the cards and swipes - everything on Android takes thrice as many steps, and 4 times as long!
    iOS 4.3.x also pales in comparison

    I'm strongly considering blowing my upgrade on the Pre3 when it comes out...
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Just an update...

    Been using the Pre+ basically full-time since I purchased it.
    Only time I powered on the Captivate, was to copy something off of it.
    Sat in my laptop bag for weeks without use...

    However...

    I had to revert back to it about a week ago, seeing as there is zero VoIP/SIP support for WebOS. Been working on an Asterisk system at work, and needed a SIP client.

    IMO, that is REALLY needed.
    I know the cat with the new browser is working on it, and I hope he gets it out.
    Homebrew to the rescue...
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...a-testing.html

    Granted this is in alpha status so it's not fully baked - but it might be sufficient for what you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkonwheels View Post
    Other than that, when I don't need the SIP clients, like weekends, I go back to the Pre+

    I'm too used to the cards and swipes - everything on Android takes thrice as many steps, and 4 times as long!
    iOS 4.3.x also pales in comparison

    I'm strongly considering blowing my upgrade on the Pre3 when it comes out...
    Glad to know that you like webOS - surprised you would use the wording "blowing my upgrade" if you like it enough to want to have it that's not blowing it at all is it?

Posting Permissions