Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm going to try to attempt to upgrade to 2.1 on my Pre Plus. But, should there be bugs, is it possible to downgrade? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I think your profile will not work or be messed up.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    It will work if you delete your backups.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

4.    #4  
    Would you just doctor it with the 1.4.5 doctor?
    Yes you would just use the 1.4.5 doctor. If you don't delete your backups in 2.1 and then doctor to 1.4.5, your profiles are restored, but your apps won't download. You can then delete your backups, and re doctor, to get your apps back.

I think there may be a workaround, where if you've gone from 2.1 --> 1.4.5 w/o deleting the backups, you can then delete your backups from 1.4.5 and then backup again, and then re doctor 1.4.5 to get all of your data back. But this is just my own personal theory based on my experience in the last couple days, and should not be considered as true. If anyone wants to try this be my guest. It might just work.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Its definitely possible to downgrade to the 1.4.5 version because I just did it on my sprint Pre. Everything went smooth during the installation of webos 2.1 and while I downgrade it. I was impressed with the 2.1 version but it lacked the Sprint navigation I used every day as a Realtor. So...I decided to scale back and wait for some time until thats taken care of! There is a way around it now..but I didnt have the patience. I would Follow the webos internal page exactly for upgrade (metadoctor) and rememeber to delete the palm profile from the backup application on your Pre before the upgrade and before the downgrade! I would highly recommend copying your USB partion on your Pre to your computer using USB mode if you havent already done so because during the downgrade the USB partition is fully wiped! Not mention all of your memos, text, phone logs, and notes! I used Save/Restore in addition to backing up the .db3 file using Internalz Pro. I was one of the few lucky ones that didnt loose anything and enjoyed a hands on "preview" of webos 2.1. Good luck
  7.    #7  
    thanks a lot guys! just onnne final question. Can I create 2 profiles, so that I don't have to worry about the profile issue?
    Let me know if you r tried and successful! I got too much to lose to even tempt that stunt!
    I created a second profile for 2.1 using another email address because I knew I might want to go back. I deleted my 1.4.5 backup before going to 2.1 (no big deal because I keep everything in Google and Exchange). Used a different email address for a new profile. Tried it for a week, deleted the backup, went back to 1.4.5 using my original profile, got all of my apps back. No problem.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bknight28 View Post
    Let me know if you r tried and successful! I got too much to lose to even tempt that stunt!
    Tried what? ha. I did successfully install 2.1 on my pre plus. however, the only data i have is my application data. Gotta re-enter all of my accounts. Still testing things out
    I meant to say that I havent tried creating multiple profiles since i have alot of information on my phone thats crucial! If anyone tried creating a second profile and can switch back and forth...it would be worth knowing!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    Tried what? ha. I did successfully install 2.1 on my pre plus. however, the only data i have is my application data. Gotta re-enter all of my accounts. Still testing things out
    Well...Did you copy your USB partition to your computrer prior to upgrading? it would have all your photos and videos and misc items including the save/restore folder with all application data! Now thats only partial process...since the original profile backup was deleted prior to upgrade...it will delete all your application settings and memos and notes. there is a way to extract your database.db3 file from your device which contains all your phone logs, ACCOUNTS, texts, memos and notes and can be used to restore if you ever decided to downgrade! It will not wipe USB partition while upgrading but while I downgrade it back to 1.4.5, I noticed it did a clean install and all my USB partion drive was wiped clean! luckly having both Save/restore and database.db3 file helped getting me back to my previous version as if I never missed a beat (including my patches from preware)! sorry about the long reply!
  13.    #13  
    Yes i did do a save/restore before I upgraded. HOWEVER, I'm having a bit of trouble installing Preware on this thing. Can't find a good guide anywhere either. Its a work-in-progress at the moment on my end.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    Yes i did do a save/restore before I upgraded. HOWEVER, I'm having a bit of trouble installing Preware on this thing. Can't find a good guide anywhere either. Its a work-in-progress at the moment on my end.
    download webos quick install 4.04, connect pre, open wosqi, click the blue globe icon thingy, in applications tab search for preware, press 'install'

15.    #15  
    hmm. it seems the WOSQI thinks that Preware is already installed. and it clearly isn't. annnd it doesn't want to uninstall it. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    download webos quick install 4.04, connect pre, open wosqi, click the blue globe icon thingy, in applications tab search for preware, press 'install'
    It worked for me! This is how I did it! Now...you may wanna do a luna restart or a reboot so you can see the icon!
  17.    #17  
    Wow that did it! Nice! Now it says its not permitted to send to org.webosinternals.ipkgservice and nothing loads on the main screen

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

EDIT: I reinstalled Preware and everything's up and running great! Thanks so much everyone! I'd be glad to answer any questions about 2.0 that you all have
    Last edited by shanshor; 03/20/2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Its definitely possible to downgrade to the 1.4.5 version because I just did it on my sprint Pre. Everything went smooth during the installation of webos 2.1 and while I downgrade it. I was impressed with the 2.1 version but it lacked the Sprint navigation I used every day as a Realtor. So...I decided to scale back and wait for some time until thats taken care of! There is a way around it now..but I didnt have the patience. I would Follow the webos internal page exactly for upgrade (metadoctor) and rememeber to delete the palm profile from the backup application on your Pre before the upgrade and before the downgrade! I would highly recommend copying your USB partion on your Pre to your computer using USB mode if you havent already done so because during the downgrade the USB partition is fully wiped! Not mention all of your memos, text, phone logs, and notes! I used Save/Restore in addition to backing up the .db3 file using Internalz Pro. I was one of the few lucky ones that didnt loose anything and enjoyed a hands on "preview" of webos 2.1. Good luck

It amazes me that you had the patience to learn and do all of what you just described with everything else, but getting Sprint Nav to work - which is about 1/10th as hard as what you just described - you didn't have the patience for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It amazes me that you had the patience to learn and do all of what you just described with everything else, but getting Sprint Nav to work - which is about 1/10th as hard as what you just described - you didn't have the patience for.
    Haha! Well...its always the simple things that throws me off! I know I can install the sprint nav from the previous webos 2.0.1 by extracting the sprint.tar file and then install it using the terminal application or wosqi or just simply get the .ipk file...but I have neither! Unless someone is kind enough to send me either of the two or refer me to a link where i can get this .ipk file...I think I cant go through a million posts to find it! I hope you can tell me how!
    Haha! Well...its always the simple things that throws me off! I know I can install the sprint nav from the previous webos 2.0.1 by extracting the sprint.tar file and then install it using the terminal application or wosqi or just simply get the .ipk file...but I have neither! Unless someone is kind enough to send me either of the two or refer me to a link where i can get this .ipk file...I think I cant go through a million posts to find it! I hope you can tell me how!
    Check out this thread, it has what you are looking for.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2910156
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast