1.    #1  
    I woke up this morning, and my Pre Plus worked for a few minutes. Then the screen locked up. Button presses did nothing. Screen went gray.

Rebooted, which required a battery pull, and phone appeared to boot normally, but same issue. Button presses didn't work, screen not registering.

Connected to computer, uninstalled F105, no help. Uninstalled a bunch of other patches that could potentially be causing a problem, still no luck. Didn't bother with membooting, probably should have, but I doubt it would've changed anything.

So I decided to doctor. I fired up the 2.1.0 doctor I created on 3.4.11, with 100% success (sans accounts/launcher pages restored, but that isn't my concern).

Or so I thought. I had my wifi profile inserted into the doctor. So I was able to login to my profile, download apps / etc etc. When I turned wifi off.. well title says it all. No EV connection.

Phone shows EV connection briefly, occasionally, 5 bars for a split second, then 2 bars, then 1 and then no bars. When I attempt to load a web page, while it may show EV for a split second, it always reverts back to 1X for loading. A flash speed test gave me 41Kb/s, which is clearly NOT EVDO.

I have tried resetting the data (##3232#, menu, restore). I have tried resetting EVDO (##3836#, save). Right now, the phone is idling on EV, but again if I load a browser it reverts to 1X.

I have confirmed EV is not working by changing temporarily to EVDO REV 0.

I'm afraid the CDMA chip in my phone is broke. Is there anything I can do, before I take it to a VZW store and ask for a replacement? Would a doctor to 1.4.5 and back to 2.1.0 help?

phone is under warranty, thank goodness
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

don't take it to the Stone. They probably don't have any replacements and they will just tell you to get an android phone.

call verizon just service (611). After troubleshooting with you, they will cross ship a replacement.

also try installing "quick system tasks" app so you can easily see/change radio settings as part of your troubleshooting. Souds like a bad radio.
  3.    #3  
    I called verizon. Spent quite a bit of time with them. Basically, she had me *228 / opt 2, and she sent my phone 'coffee' with 'creme and sugar'. lmao.

EVDO now works, outside, but in my room it's still not working. Blah. It was working fine last night! Maybe a tower went down outside or something. I don't want to use wifi all the time, it kills the battery. Oh well. At least I'm getting ~350Kb/s outside now, whereas this morning I wasn't getting anything.

Anyone know any tips now to get it fixed in the house? o.o
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

4.    #4  
    Verizon didn't fix anything. EVDO still isn't working. Pages are still taking forever to load. IDK. I'm sick of beating my head against a wall today.

This is really frustrating. I think the chip is broke, I guess I'll call again tomorrow and try again.

What really bites is that the lady I talked to was really nice.. and maybe I was too friendly because I don't think it ever occurred to her that the chip in my phone was broke, even though I mentioned it a couple times.

5.    #5  
    So I called verizon again. Guy I spoke with this time was more helpful, they're overnighting me a new phone

I just hope my phone with the small usb door crack doesn't fall under the 'physical damage'.. if it does imma throw a fit!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried doctoring to 1.4.5? Also, the device has a bunch of hardware diagnostic tests. you get to them from Device Info app, then app menu, then "tests", then "interactive tests". Not sure if any test your phone radios...
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried doctoring to 1.4.5? Also, the device has a bunch of hardware diagnostic tests. you get to them from Device Info app, then app menu, then "tests", then "interactive tests". Not sure if any test your phone radios...
    Yeah, I tried doctoring to 1.4.5 around 2:30 today. It wasn't working so I figured I'd call tech support again. The guy walked me through some more steps, including a full erase, and it still wasn't working so he said he'd ship me a new phone. So, around 3:30, I just let my phone charge. I'd been using it all day, nonstop since 6am, so it was pretty hot, maybe even a little tired. Around 4:30, I swapped out my extended battery for the stock palm battery, so it would be fully charged when I ship it back. Around 4:45, I remember checking the browser, and magically it was as if there was never a problem at all.

Strange, strange, strange.

What I really want to know is.. was the verizon tower in the center of town down this morning, and verizon never bothered to check to see if it was down?

Or was my phone just tired from my constant nonstop overdrive tests that I was putting it through?

P.S. 1.4.5 SUCKS compared to 2.1.0!!! I never want to have to use it again!!! Muahahaha
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/17/2011 at 06:49 PM.

Verizon tech support definitely doesn't always know whats going on. One time i couldn't get internet and kept telling them that and eventually they realized that the whole NE had been having issues that day. Duh.

If you're seriously overclocking you should make sure your kernel dials down the frequency if you hit a temp that is too high...

And i did check, the "quick test" does verify your modem and other radios. So next time that might be a good test.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah, I was probably being a bad boy to my cute little pre.. my laptop is an animal and OCs nicely and I think that spoils me a bit. Although, first thing I'm gonna do when I get the new one is test out SR71!

I was definitely freaking out all day though. And VZW is pretty much clueless. They read from a manual, that explains every tiny little step involved.. like 'Swipe up from the bottom of the phone to the middle of the screen with the tip of your finger, then swipe from the right of the screen to the left of the screen three times with your finger, then swipe from the top of the screen towards the bottom of the screen, and you should see an icon with the words 'Device Info''.

I can see why those instructions are necessary though. :P

I thought about those interactive tests. I was just too flustered to want to deal with it.. I just keep testing it and testing it hoping it would change. Insanity.