Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I started this thread specifically for the people with 2.1.0 on their Pre-.

It seems that the Pre- may not be suitable for 2.1. Feel free to post your phone behaviors, problems, issues, etc. that may just be related to a Pre- with 2.1
    Dan
    this is a good thread due to my contact with a Palm Tech who would like to recieve feedback with device bugs running 2.1 (even the minus devices). I myself have been testing a minus devices with 2.1, and when overclocked I have the same issues as a pre plus device I also have running 2.1 so far.
    when I first installed it, it hung and crashed often. Since then it's been running smoothly.

also, my data connection sporadically changes between Ev and 1x. I'm guessing this has to do with PRL issues.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Repeat from the MetaDoctor Thread:

I have a Pre- and my battery life sucks. I am overclocked, installed NAV and flash.

My Pre also stalls periodically for an indeterminate amount of time.

I just think this is proof that 2.1 is not suitable for the Pre-. I am going to doctor this weekend to a clean 2.1 and not install flash or nav and see how it goes for a week. There are times the phone is almost unusable.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    when I first installed it, it hung and crashed often. Since then it's been running smoothly.

also, my data connection sporadically changes between Ev and 1x. I'm guessing this has to do with PRL issues.
    I would guess PRL issues also.

When I first installed 2.1.0 it hung and crashed a few times then stabilized. After a couple days I installed NAV and Flash. It has been difficult since so I think something is up with that. Way before I go back to 1.4.5 I will redoctor 2.1.0 and not install flash or nav and see what happens.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Personally, I haven't had any abnormal crashes or hangs since moving from 2.0.1 ==> 2.1.0 on the Pre-

I would definitely try re-doctoring. Perhaps try starting over completely, and creating a brand-new metadoctor, lest some of the original files were flaky.
    I have a pre- running 2.1 with flash and have had some issues with random instances of lag and freezing however since installing the new f102b kernel I have experienced hardly any lag or freezing. In addition to this both my battery life and playback of flash has improved compared to when I had UK using screenstate 250/800.
    Last edited by intotheunknown; 03/17/2011 at 08:47 AM.
    my pre- has been running very well. not one random restart or crash. i have flash installed. there is the occasional stall but i think that is due to the compcache swap. however it always catches up with my inputs. i am very happy. i had it dr. with a temp profile and it worked great. i did a full erase. and loaded my real profile and it ran like crap. so another dr. loaded in the main profile and i am up and running great. so i would def recommend just visiting the dr, again if you are having problems. also after your apps load let it cool down before doing anything else. i think that might affect things.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    My sprint pre- has also been running very well. I have not had a crash yet. I did not install flash either but I do have the sprint Nav.

I did have the voice dial app crash on me this week and was unusable. I re-doctored my phone but not because of the voice dial app but becuase I wanted to try the SR71 (overclock @ 1.2 GHz) and it didnt work. I was stuck at reboot.

After I redoctored my voice app began working again. .
    Palm Lifedrive --> Palm Centro --> Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    My Pre- has been running well with 2.1.0, for the most part. I certainly haven't seen any crashes, though I would say the phone runs somewhat slower than it did with 1.4.5. I am still trying to decide whether the new features are worth it.

I am running uberkernel with Screenstate 500/1000.

The biggest issues are
    - Had to reinstall a couple of PDK apps that wouldn't start, but now they work fine.
    - Super slow loading times when compcache is enabled. I just disabled it, and the phone actually seems to perform much better. I will have to work with it for a day or so to be sure.
    - Occasional temporary freezes when minimizing or dismissing a card. Again, this seems to have been alleviated by disabling compcache.

Reasons I want to keep it:
    - Exhibition mode. Having my agenda right there in front of me at work is wonderful.
    - Just Type. Haven't used it a ton yet, as I am not used to it. But it seems awesome.
    - New dialer. The favorites tab is great.
    - Launcher. The launcher is a lot smoother for me. Flipping pages is a lot quicker. I am anxiously awaiting 4x4 icons, though.

I have not had any issues with battery life. Yesterday, I was out all day with the phone off the charger. From about 10am to 7pm, light use, the phone drained to 43%. That seems to be in line with what I got before.

I wonder if some differences are due to the build date? I actually bought this Pre in-store the day after Sprint EOL'd it. It was new enough that it had 1.4.5 pre-loaded. Overall, I have found the build quality to be much higher than my launch-day Pre. According to Govnah, it runs significantly cooler than my old Pre. My old one used to get up to 50+ regularly when running PDK games. I've been hard-pressed to get this one over 45 with a 1 GHz overclock. So, overheating and battery issues may have something to do with the build version.

UPDATE: I installed the F105-20 kernel, just for kicks. The phone blazes now. Load times are fast, transitions are fast, etc. But, I still can't use compcache. If I turn it on, the phone slows to a crawl or freezes when the memory usage gets high. If I leave it off, no problems. I'm not sure how necessary it actually is, though. I ran three PDK games side-by-side with compcache disabled on F105, and I did not get a TMC error. The phone slowed way down, but it ran. I'm not sure how F105 affects battery life. I'll update after a day or two of use.
    Last edited by hegemon13; 03/17/2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Installed F105-20
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I do have battery issues on my Pre-. I am running UK (screenstate 800/500 w/ compcache @ 16MB), but have not installed Nav or Flash. I do have stalls/hangs occasionally, but I mainly see it in Gowalla, so I've attributed it to that POS app.

Considering power management was supposed to be better in 2.1.0, I'm surprised. However, I'm not angry about it or anything - I'm rarely too far away from something I can charge on, and I'm not a heavy/power user.

I've had a few crashes here and there where the phone completely froze up, and I got impatient after a couple minutes and pulled the battery. I'm still using the same phone I bought Thanksgiving weekend of '09.

I have no plans to go back to 1.4.5 - the phone *does* work smoother/quicker when it's working. I may try redoctoring it over the weekend for the heck of it, since my profile was pushed to 2.1.0 cleanly.

And I could definitely go for 4x4 icons.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Great, it will be good to have someone to compare notes with.

Sounds like the lag and stalls are very phone dependent. I have am currently on a refurb whose physical attributes aren't the best but the internals seem top notch.

I think I will rebuild the doctor with new downloads/scripts and not install nav or flash. I think I will also do a full erase first since my profile is 2.1.0 and is clean. Can't hurt to start completely fresh.
    Dan
    I found that 2.1 on my Pre- needed overclocking. But with UK installed I am more than happy with it. No crashes and smooth.
    My experience has been ok. Battery life is marginally better with 2.1. Yesterday I unplugged my phone at 7:00AM and at 7:00PM I still had 15% left, which is pretty good for my usage. Flash is a no-go for sure on the -. Want instant freeze? Open up some flash content. I will be removing it tonight when I have time. That's with the
    UK-18 SS1K/500 10MB compcache. Anyone know if that's all you can get (10MBcc)? I can't seem to get any other options for it, either on @10MB or off. Maybe if there's a way to increase that, Flash will run smoother, I don't know.

Positive notes on 2.1... the auto correct is by far the best feature so far (that stands out in my mind). I barely use the backspace key anymore. The new card system is pretty good too, thought I'd miss the mini cards......I don't.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    running JStop and click "Garbage Collect JavaScript Heap" helped me out during slowdowns

i had also installed the "Enable Flash Content" patch and enabled it...without adding the actual flash files!....then when i opened the Web app the phone crashed...I still have the patch but i disabled it until i install the flash files....now the phone no longer crashes when i open up a website hehehe!
    i've installed 2.1.0 and ever since, I've been having some difficulties with my contacts and messaging.
    I get messages from people within my contactlist but my phone doesn't recognize the number.
    very very strange!

suggestions??
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    10MB compcache. Anyone know if that's all you can get (10MBcc)? I can't seem to get any other options for it, either on @10MB or off. Maybe if there's a way to increase that, Flash will run smoother, I don't know.

Turn Compcache to "OFF" then look in "advanced settings". You can enter your desired CompCache into the "Compressed Swap" field. Remember to enter it in multiples of 1024 for each MB. Yours should be at 10240 now.
    I've been using my 2.1 (thank you WebOSInternals for the metadoctor and scripts) on my Sprint Pre- for about a week.

Total issues: 3. Flash performance is only so-so but workable. Patches are coming out slowly. No more automatic PRL updates, at least for the moment.

Worthwhile notes:

I am overclocked to 500/1000 screenstate, but even with no overclocking, it's faster and smoother than 1.4.5 was without overclocking.

I do have flash installed (bit of a pain, but not too bad) and as expected, it's less than super. When you find yourself in need of flash, it's good to have it, but it's performance is so-so.

The PRL can be updated fairly easily to the latest version if you do some research BEFORE doctoring to 2.1, and I suspect it's only a matter of time until somebody gets PRL updating fixed properly.

I do have Sprint navigation installed and working beautifully. This was only challenging because none of the directions I found explained that you had to remount your root as read/write before installing it. As soon as I found that buried in a discussion, installation was simple.

On the up-side about the patches, many of the devs responsible for some of the more critical patches have been working their butts off to get updates pushed for 2.1 (which I appreciate greatly) and 2.1 is much less in need of patching to begin with. For instance, you can already add/remove launcher pages and rename them without needing any patches. It looks to me like HP included a lot of work that was either taken directly from, or at least heavily inspired by the homebrew community.

The more recent meta-doctor scripts for the Sprint Pre- have your WebOS version reported correctly. i.e.- your profile actually says 2.1. No more masquerading as 1.4.5 and being unable to access apps built for 2.x

Ultimately, I cannot imagine why any owner of a Sprint Pre- would not want to upgrade to 2.1. It is better than 1.4.5 in almost every conceivable way. I guess the only two reasons would be if a person is completely incapable of reading and following the directions for the upgrade; or if there is some particular patch that is absolutely mission-critical to you, and not yet available for 2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by yentl007 View Post
    i've installed 2.1.0 and ever since, I've been having some difficulties with my contacts and messaging.
    I get messages from people within my contactlist but my phone doesn't recognize the number.
    very very strange!

suggestions??
    Quote Originally Posted by itZmePre View Post
    Turn Compcache to "OFF" then look in "advanced settings". You can enter your desired CompCache into the "Compressed Swap" field. Remember to enter it in multiples of 1024 for each MB. Yours should be at 10240 now.
    And you need to 'Apply Changes' each time you switch and change the value.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

On the up-side about the patches, many of the devs responsible for some of the more critical patches have been working their butts off to get updates pushed for 2.1 (which I appreciate greatly) and 2.1 is much less in need of patching to begin with. For instance, you can already add/remove launcher pages and rename them without needing any patches. It looks to me like HP included a lot of work that was either taken directly from, or at least heavily inspired by the homebrew community.
    True. But 3x4 icons. That's a real pain! Lift your game HP!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast