Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I've been using a variety of overclocking kernels since they first became available on the Pre and have found them to be absolutely indispensable. Nowadays, my battery is totally crapping out and I need to keep those electrons in reserve for as long as possible.

    So, in theory, which kernel would provide the best battery life under moderate use?

    I've been using F105 running a 1005/500 MHz screenstate-v2 on OMG, and that seemed to be doing well for awhile but, while nice and zippy, has recently just not been getting the job done battery-wise. I just installed AV8B and don't think that's doing much better. Would an ondemand or conservative governor be better? Thoughts?

    EDIT: Oh, and I guess I should specify this is on WebOS 1.4.5. While 2.1.0 may be the new hawtness, sometimes it's best to not force an old dog (phone?) to do new tricks...
    Last edited by Bazirker; 03/16/2011 at 01:08 PM.
  2. #2  
    not sure which is best for battery life. I know screenstate kills battery faster because it takes more juice to speed up and down the processor every time the screen is turned on/off (though screenstate does prolong the life of the cpu compared with one that just runs it high the whole time. You know new batteries are around $4 on amazon though, right?
  3.    #3  
    True, but it's nice to not have multiple batteries, and even with a new battery I doubt I'll get an overly dramatic improvement.
  4. #4  
    I've found the sweet spot on my Pre recently, and now just leave it. I have tried several kernels and all kinds of various settings over the past year or so. I am also running 1.4.5 on a Pre minus and can get pretty much a full day at moderate use with these settings:
    Uberkernel - Screenstate
    Min Freq - 500Mhz
    Max Freq - 800mhz
    CPU Voltage 69 66 65 60 48 36 30 (800 Mhz @ 1425 mV) (500 Mhz @ 1200 mV)
    System Voltage 45 (1162.5 mV)
    Temp Limit 55C
    Temp Reset 50C
    Batt LowThresh 25%
    Batt Low Speed 500MHZ
    Compcache Enabled - true
    Compcache Memlimit - 48 MB
    I/O Scheduler - CFQ
    TCP Congestion - Cubic
    Batt Low Speed 500MHZ

    I would also recommend checking your battery's health with Dr. Battery, and if you need a new one, you can't beat an OEM from amazon for 3-4 bucks. I got one recently and it makes a big difference.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5. #5  
    try the new F102B kernel in the test feeds, I have mine set at 800 constant and the new vdemand scales the power to suit the needs of the processor. Has been a godsend to me as I now have a good balance between battery life and speed.
  6. #6  
    I turned off WiFi and that solved all my battery problems. I was getting about 8 hours a day on a Mugen 1400. Turned off WiFi and now I get over 20 hours. I just turn it on when I need it now.
    Last edited by dsalonius; 03/17/2011 at 02:32 PM.
  7. #7  
    dsalonius...Try Mode Switcher. It is an amazingly powerful yet simple app that activates certain settings based on triggers. Separate threads exist on it, but I will give you a high level summary. I have a mode called Data on Demand. Whenever I launch email, preware, Blackjack, internet, etc, the phone switches the data on. Within 15 or 30 seconds of closing all of those, data gets turned off.
    If I am at home on the touchstone, wifi comes on, otherwise, off.
    Very easy, very powerful, very battery saving. I last up to 9 hours in the 80-90% range because of this.

    Pm me if you need more details.
    This applies to a Pre- on 1.45. An alpha version exists for 2.0, but doesnt have the full functionality yet.
    Last edited by NABRIL15; 03/17/2011 at 01:46 PM.
  8. #8  
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dsalonius View Post
    I turned off WiFi and that solved all my battery problems. I was getting about 8 hours a day on a Mugen 1400. Turned off WiFi and now I get over 20 hours. I just turn it on when I need it now.
    Funny, i always thought that WIFI was the low-power radio, and cell data took more... Is it possible that you're in an area of poor reception and your phone is killing your battery fast trying to find a signal? Or could be your PRL needs updating...
  10. #10  
    AV8B got me about 27 hours of battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Funny, i always thought that WIFI was the low-power radio, and cell data took more... Is it possible that you're in an area of poor reception and your phone is killing your battery fast trying to find a signal? Or could be your PRL needs updating...
    It depends on the router. I use much much MUCH more battery on wifi with my crappy Netgear than my Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato. The Linksys uses less power than 3G; the Netgear use 4x more.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    AV8B got me about 27 hours of battery life.
    ...with the phone just sitting there? Were you receiving emails or doing anything with it?
  13. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #13  
    I find that AV8B does a fair job overall, but I will warn you that battery life is very dependent on what you are doing. With a stock battery, and fully charged, I get around 3 hours of talk time on a full charge, but with generally light usage(5 minute calls here or there throughout a day), I get through a 12 hour work day on a single charge.

    Note that I tend to leave WiFi on, so that will have an impact on my talk time.
  14.    #14  
    At the moment I'm trying out F102B. I can run OMG, so let's see if maybe dropping the active clock from 1005 to 800 MHz helps.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    I've found the sweet spot on my Pre recently, and now just leave it. I have tried several kernels and all kinds of various settings over the past year or so. I am also running 1.4.5 on a Pre minus and can get pretty much a full day at moderate use with these settings:
    Uberkernel - Screenstate
    Min Freq - 500Mhz
    Max Freq - 800mhz
    CPU Voltage 69 66 65 60 48 36 30 (800 Mhz @ 1425 mV) (500 Mhz @ 1200 mV)
    System Voltage 45 (1162.5 mV)
    Temp Limit 55C
    Temp Reset 50C
    Batt LowThresh 25%
    Batt Low Speed 500MHZ
    Compcache Enabled - true
    Compcache Memlimit - 48 MB
    I/O Scheduler - CFQ
    TCP Congestion - Cubic
    Batt Low Speed 500MHZ

    I would also recommend checking your battery's health with Dr. Battery, and if you need a new one, you can't beat an OEM from amazon for 3-4 bucks. I got one recently and it makes a big difference.
    I followed your advice, but govnah is not allowing me to change the compache memlimit. It shows as disable on 16MB. Any ideas why or how to change it?
  16. itZmePre's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I followed your advice, but govnah is not allowing me to change the compache memlimit. It shows as disable on 16MB. Any ideas why or how to change it?
    After you touch "Advanced Settings" and it is showing Compressed Swap "Disabled" you should touch the word disabled.

    You will see a zero in the "compcache enabled" field.

    (If you see the Compressed Swap field saying "Enabled" you will have to stop Compache before editing MemLimit settings by touching the word "enabled" and then edit the setting field to read "0" and "Apply Settings".)

    Touch the "CompCache MemLimit" field and change it in increments of 1024.

    If you want his recommended 48 MB you would enter 49152.

    Then touch enabled field and change the "0" to a "1". Then touch "Apply Settings"

    Use the back gesture and you should see "Enabled" now.

    Then either "save as new profile" or just swipe card away if you want to use those settings on the default 500/800 profile.

    Hope that helps.
    -- Kevin
    Last edited by itZmePre; 03/18/2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added directions for others with Enabled CompCache

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions