Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    we are tightening our budget which means it's time for me to ditch my data plan... We have verizon
    so, no more Pre.
    any suggestion for a good feature phone? Preferably one I could get cheaply on ebay?
    I'd go back to my Centro because vzw will let me use that without a data plan - you can turn off data in the myverizon control panel to make sure you don't run up a bunch of charges. that gives me a pda+phone. all that is missing is email and web.

That's what I'd do. The only other dumbphone that I've liked are the LG ENV3 and ENV Touch. That's what my wife and daughter have.
    I agree about the Centro. I think most (if not all) of the Palm OS Treos are also not required to have data and they are just awesome phones.

You could also look for one that has a wifi adapter built in, so that way you'd at least have access at a wifi hotspot around town. I remember the Verizon XV6700 and XV6800 had wifi, as well as the Samsung Saga. They run WinMo, but they have wifi and don't require a data plan.
    Couldn't you just turn off your data connection and not have a data plan?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    not on a modern smartphone.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    You CAN disable data on a Pre but the carriers are not allowing that option.

I don't really understand if it's out of contract, after all, it's you that would get penalized by paying the per kb charge. In contract, I completely understand, they want to get their subsidy back.
    Dan
    Unfortunately i believe if you switch back to a Centro you will be required to have a data plan. Verizon changed this policy late last year. It used to be that certain older phones did not require a data plan, but they changed that.

I would look for a feature phone that doesn't require a data plan. Then talk to customer service and make sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Unfortunately i believe if you switch back to a Centro you will be required to have a data plan. Verizon changed this policy late last year. It used to be that certain older phones did not require a data plan, but they changed that.

I would look for a feature phone that doesn't require a data plan. Then talk to customer service and make sure.
    nope, I have re-activated centro on treo phones without data plans.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    thanks for the input- any suggestions for a feature phone? motorola, LG, any particular ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirly View Post
    thanks for the input- any suggestions for a feature phone? motorola, LG, any particular ones?
    Depends on what you want for a feature. My wife has a casio exilim feature phone which has a 5mp camera.

They make music feature phones, social networking, etc.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    Depends on what you want for a feature. My wife has a casio exilim feature phone which has a 5mp camera.

They make music feature phones, social networking, etc.
    oh- Then I am just looking for a cell phone- ignore the "feature" part. That is what the woman on the phone told me.
    I am looking for:
    easy texting
    nice feel in your hands
    maybe flip preference but I am open to others
    good looking
    good reception
    reliable

I really dont need a "feature" just a good reliable phone. i dont need music access and do not need one with internet since I will not use it. BUT if those feature phones meet my other criteria then I can get one of those but just not use the feature.
    LG Envy3
    Env 2 or 3 is a great phone, but Verzion will make you pay $9.99 for "data." I suggest a Razr v3m. Great, classic phone, large buttons, and no data requirement. And really cheap on Ebay now.
    we have those phones and they do not make us pay that 10.

we have an Envy3 and an Envy Touch. Neither has the $10 charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we have those phones and they do not make us pay that 10.

we have an Envy3 and an Envy Touch. Neither has the $10 charge.
    If you got them before mid january 2010 than that's why.. Otherwise you are paying $10

I had the LG viewty and i will never get another LG phone it was dire
    Wow I just looked at verizons selection of feature phones and it is horrible. Sprint wins in that category, best selection of feature phones, unfortunatley not smartphones.

If you like to text I reccomond one with a qwerty keyboard, maybe slider; and i defintly do not reccomond and full touch screen feature phones they are a pain in the ***.
    Ah, in Canada, you can activate a smartphone without a data plan.

W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    Ah, in Canada, you can activate a smartphone without a data plan.

with a 3 year contract. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    with a 3 year contract. lol
    I know, I hate 3 year contracts. 2 year's only give a tiny amount off of the phone...