1.    #1  
    This is my GSM Movistar Pre- on webOS 2.1. What strange thing do you see here?

Well, apart from the language, you can see an almost empty battery icon, while the percentage shown in the menu says 95%! That figure is there since yesterday night.

I'm running Mode Switcher 2.x alpha, but with no patches related to this device menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm shocked that somline hasn't seen this! :O

Try http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-battery.html
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedicide View Post
    I'm shocked that somline hasn't seen this!
    Please explain, who's "somline"? Dr. Battery's programmer? I've taken a quick look at that thread you've linked, but I think my battery is way too young for it to behave whacky. Also, the problem is the DIFFERENT readout from the icon and the device menu entry.

I used Dr. Battery a couple of times back on webOS 1.4.5, and I saw that it's level was different to the one in the device menu and icon, which were the same.
  4.    #4  
    Sconix, Mode Switcher's programmer, has just answered me that his program can't be blamed, as I don't have any device menu patch. He also adds that it can be some bug in webOS 2.1, as he has found many, although not as serious as before.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Please explain, who's "somline"? Dr. Battery's programmer? I've taken a quick look at that thread you've linked, but I think my battery is way too young for it to behave whacky. Also, the problem is the DIFFERENT readout from the icon and the device menu entry.

I used Dr. Battery a couple of times back on webOS 1.4.5, and I saw that it's level was different to the one in the device menu and icon, which were the same.
    That's because Dr. Battery gives a percentage calculated by (mAh left)/(mAh health), which allows you to see exactly how much juice you have left.

Also, when calibrating, it drains the battery completely and then calibrates it. It doesn't matter how old your battery is, it can be brand new, and still need a calibration. Calibrating doesn't hurt the battery, it just fixes the way the Pre reads it.

I calibrate about once a month.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Dr. Battery allows you to see exactly how much juice you have left. It can be brand new, and still need a calibration.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try some day. I was already intrigued by that calibration function.

Anyone else has different battery levels in icon and device menu?
    Lol, for some reasons I work for money sometimes, and don't monitor the forum :-)

@Op: you don't need to calibrate but it would be interesting what dr.battery reads. You can also use Lumberjack and look into the log /var/log/messages.
    there you can find entries from powerd about the chargelevel of the bat.

maybe it's a glitch in the localizasion of the sysmenu?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
    Dr. Battery (and some other tools) tell the TRUE battery percentage. The launcher device menu displays a value that is roughly 4% too high. The reason for this is not entirely clear to me but I think it has to do with charging performance and customer expectations about a charger bringing you to exactly 100% and staying there - which isn't good for the battery. In 1.4.5 if this bugs you there is a patch to fix the menu to show the accurate number as opposed to the inflated one - I do not know if this patch is available in 2.x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    In 1.4.5 if this bugs you there is a patch to fix the menu to show the accurate number as opposed to the inflated one - I do not know if this patch is available in 2.x.

I did not know such a thing existed! I'll be keeping my eyes open.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

I did not know such a thing existed! I'll be keeping my eyes open.
    See here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...t-correct.html

Try searching for "Show Actual Battery" or something like that to see if you can find the original patch. Frankly I don't mind the small fiction.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmarcos
    the problem is the DIFFERENT readout from the icon and the device menu entry.
    maybe it's a glitch in the localizasion of the sysmenu?
    That's a good hint. Is there any file about "sysmenu" I could read, and compare with?

As of now, I've added a patch which adds a tiny percentage to the battery icon. If the battery level in the system menu keeps struck, then perhaps I could remove it.

Apple says: "There's an app for that" (TM).
    webOS says: "There's a PATCH for that".

LOL!
    Do find out if it's a display problem:
    Install "Lumberjack" from webOSInternals using preware
    Open lumberjack
    Select "Custom..." in "What to look for"
    Enter Text: "BATTERY_IPC"
    Select "follow log" or "Retrieve Log"
    You should find such entries:
    Code:
    2011-03-11T11:17:40.971862Z [8678] palm-webos user.info powerd:
    {powerd}: BATTERY_IPC: (985.599976mAh, 79%, 83%_ui, 27C, -3mA, 3947mV,
    authentic)
    You can see the two different reading for the percentage:
    Real: 79%
    Visible in Sysmenu: 83%_ui

Instead of using Lumberjack you can use ssh/novaterm or other terminal:
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/messages | grep BATTERY_IPC
    or
    Code:
    grep BATTERY_IPC /var/log/messages
    Last edited by somline; 03/11/2011 at 07:45 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Do find out if it's a display problem:
    Install "Lumberjack" from webOSInternals using preware
    Open lumberjack
    Select "Custom..." in "What to look for"
    Enter Text: "BATTERY_IPC"
    Select "follow log"
    Very interesting! So Lumberjack allows one to comfortably follow what's going on internally... Pity that I see nothing at all, tried twice and followed exactly your instructions. Is it normal? Do I have to wait some time for entries to come up?

Instead of using Lumberjack you can use ssh/novaterm or other terminal
    I can't do it right now: I've been testing FreeTether, and now I can't connect. I usually prefer those console tricks. You don't have a fix for this at hand do you...
    then tap on "Retrieve Log" instead of "Follow Log"
  15.    #15  
    then tap on "Retrieve Log" instead of "Follow Log"
    Thanks! Now I see interesting things. Of course, I find things like "98%, 100%_ui", which, as I've recently learnt, is the usual double readout: Real and "enhanced" for the user interface to show a relieving "100%", that is actually false.

That's the figure I see in the tiny numbers above the battery icon, as I've installed a patch for the percentage to show up there.

But the problem remains: The device menu's battery row says "43%". I think that figure is never updated since a reboot. Can I simply remove it from the menu, now that I hve the right figure in the icon?

Weird! Fun! webOS! :-D
    Last edited by jcmarcos; 03/11/2011 at 07:22 AM.
    My reference in the system menu doesn't move from 100%.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    My reference in the system menu doesn't move from 100%.
    It looks exactly as my problem: The battery level in the menu is never updated, only on reboot. Worry not, I've installed Advanced System Menus Device Menu, and its battery level updates fine. Among many other nice functions!