Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I finally called Palm about this. After some fiddling around which did not do anything, they basically said that Verizon released an update to the Verizon Navigator that completely gimped the Palm Pre GPS and there's nothing we can do about it.
    My Pre+'s GPS died today after a couple weeks of much improved reliability under WebOS 2.1. After several frustrating hours trying to jump-start the GPS system I gave up and forked out for the monthly VZ Navigator service... at least until a new GPS Fix is released... if it's even possible. At least I know VZ Nav definitely works on 2.1 now.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyfish7 View Post
    got it working, I think. turned on airplane mode and got a ##477# fixand it worked for the first time in weeks. turned off airplane mode and tried again and it continued to work. tried to locate in fb app and that worked.

and by "worked" I mean "as well as usual" not "good"

this is on a metadoctored 2.1 VZW Pre+

prior I tried the GPS Fix app, that didn't seem to do anything for this problem. had it turned off at the time I tried airplane mode. I only just got 2.1 installed and haven't gotten around to preware yet so I dunno if the GPS patches are available or what they'd do if they were applied.

hope this helps
    update: inconsistent fix. kept needing to do it again, sometimes it wouldn't work.
    got it working, I think. turned on airplane mode and got a ##477# fixand it worked for the first time in weeks. turned off airplane mode and tried again and it continued to work. tried to locate in fb app and that worked.

and by "worked" I mean "as well as usual" not "good"

this is on a metadoctored 2.1 VZW Pre+

prior I tried the GPS Fix app, that didn't seem to do anything for this problem. had it turned off at the time I tried airplane mode. I only just got 2.1 installed and haven't gotten around to preware yet so I dunno if the GPS patches are available or what they'd do if they were applied.

hope this helps
    GPS Fix is broken in 2.1. I've requested the author update it for 2.1 and he says he is working on it. It wouldn't hurt to have another person request it be fixed on his thread...

I've had mixed results with my GPS. On 1.4.5 it was really very hit or miss. After upping to 2.1 it worked almost instantly the first time i tried it, then after that no luck. In general i have pretty good luck with it if i'm driving, or otherwise moving pretty fast (cycling). If you can get an app to request GPS updates than it will keep it alive, and eventually it will get a signal.
    GPS works almost flawlessly on my Pre+ 2.1.0...no patches/hacks applied to the GPS at all. Shows my position very accurately.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    I meta-doctored my VZ Pre+ to 2.1 over the weekend. I modified the doctor script to leave out the VZ Navigator packages entirely. Remove the two lines referring to 'com.nim.vznavigator' and 'com.nim.app.vznavigator' in the meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0 script in the 'scripts' directory of meta doctor if you don't use or want VZ Nav.

My GPS works properly for the first time ever. Initial lock takes some time (it has to get a fix) but it's bang on from there. I figured whatever they did to bork the GPS was in VZ Nav, so why let it even corrupt my 2.1 experience.

2.1 is fantastic, by the way.
    On 1.4.5 and Google Maps has started showing accurate position for the first time since I got the phone in June- with all gps patches uninstalled and without having to load VZ Nav first. Weird...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorbino View Post
    I meta-doctored my VZ Pre+ to 2.1 over the weekend. I modified the doctor script to leave out the VZ Navigator packages entirely. Remove the two lines referring to 'com.nim.vznavigator' and 'com.nim.app.vznavigator' in the meta-verizon-preplus-2.1.0 script in the 'scripts' directory of meta doctor if you don't use or want VZ Nav.

My GPS works properly for the first time ever. Initial lock takes some time (it has to get a fix) but it's bang on from there. I figured whatever they did to bork the GPS was in VZ Nav, so why let it even corrupt my 2.1 experience.

I see a redoctoring in my future thx!

This makes sense. I doctored my Pre+ to 2.1 as soon as instructions got posted. Initially my gps worked great. I re-doctored when carrier apps were fixed and I haven't been able to get a gps fix since. Using ##477# just gives me an error. I guess I'm gonna have to re-doctor without VZ nav and see how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkongbeef View Post
    I finally called Palm about this. After some fiddling around which did not do anything, they basically said that Verizon released an update to the Verizon Navigator that completely gimped the Palm Pre GPS and there's nothing we can do about it.
    Do you mean a webOS 2.x update to Verizon Navigator? Is there a separate VZ Nav. for 1.4.x webOS?

I've never noticed an update to VZ Nav...not sure if I would see that since it is one of those pre-loaded apps that you can't delete using normal delete actions, maybe it updates without even asking me?

Anyway, this statement about a version of VZ Nav that completely gimped the Palm Pre+ GPS...did it sound like they intentionally gimped it? Or, that something went wrong and they don't know how or why...only that it is because of a new update to VZ Nav? Funny, if they know it is due to VZ Nav, you would think they would know WHAT in VZ Nav is the problem.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by icemachine79 View Post
    My Pre+'s GPS died today after a couple weeks of much improved reliability under WebOS 2.1. After several frustrating hours trying to jump-start the GPS system I gave up and forked out for the monthly VZ Navigator service... at least until a new GPS Fix is released... if it's even possible. At least I know VZ Nav definitely works on 2.1 now.
    What do you think of VZ Nav on 2.1? I used a free trial of VZ Nav on my 1.4.1 (at the time, up to 1.4.5 now) Palm Pre+ last summer. It worked sometimes, other times it would not work, would not get a fix, would run, but not show the purple turn directional arrows. It was a very frustrating app. I have used several GPS navigation units before, and it was NO WHERE close to as nice an expericence.

I wanted to know if there have been improvements in VZ Nav since I used it?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Do you mean a webOS 2.x update to Verizon Navigator? Is there a separate VZ Nav. for 1.4.x webOS?

I've never noticed an update to VZ Nav...not sure if I would see that since it is one of those pre-loaded apps that you can't delete using normal delete actions, maybe it updates without even asking me?

Anyway, this statement about a version of VZ Nav that completely gimped the Palm Pre+ GPS...did it sound like they intentionally gimped it? Or, that something went wrong and they don't know how or why...only that it is because of a new update to VZ Nav? Funny, if they know it is due to VZ Nav, you would think they would know WHAT in VZ Nav is the problem.
    Back when someone here pinned VZW against a wall, they admitted that they had intended to cripple the GPS all along, and that the trick of starting VZW to make other location-based services work was a "loophole" that they "intended to close".

I'm convinced that the reason we didn't see a 2.0/2.1 update for the Pre+ is that the carriers quietly want the Pre to go away. Wonder how much Google is paying them for that.
    What do you think of VZ Nav on 2.1? I used a free trial of VZ Nav on my 1.4.1 (at the time, up to 1.4.5 now) Palm Pre+ last summer. It worked sometimes, other times it would not work, would not get a fix, would run, but not show the purple turn directional arrows. It was a very frustrating app. I have used several GPS navigation units before, and it was NO WHERE close to as nice an expericence.
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but for navigation, I only use and recommend a standalone unit. Personally, I prefer Garmin, but YMMV. I want the GPS to work on the phone for things like traffic on Google Maps, YPMobile, etc.

And I certainly don't want the carrier telling me "No, you can't use the functionality that's built into your phone because it cuts into our margin."

Palm tech support told me Verizon updated the VZ Navigator to kill the Pre GPS. I'm not sure if they push an update to all Pre's or if it's something they can control on the backend. The Palm tech strongly hinted that Verizon did this on purpose to force us to use VZ Navigator, although obviously he could not state that exact phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by hongkongbeef View Post
    Palm tech support told me Verizon updated the VZ Navigator to kill the Pre GPS. I'm not sure if they push an update to all Pre's or if it's something they can control on the backend. The Palm tech strongly hinted that Verizon did this on purpose to force us to use VZ Navigator, although obviously he could not state that exact phrase.
    The version of VZNav on 2.1 is definitely newer than what i had on 1.4.5. It also has absolutely no effect on getting a GPS fix for me with 2.1, so i'd say that VZW fixed the loophole that made it work.

that said, there is still an actual GPS chip in the phone, you just can't benefit from aGPS. Next time i doctor i'm going to leave off VZNav, since i'll never subscribe.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    removed the VZ Navigator lines in the script and redoctored, so far so good!

UPDATE - nope nm, back to old inconsistent behavior. sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. but hey that's better than most of the last month or so when it hasn't worked at all
    Last edited by Greyfish7; 03/25/2011 at 10:07 AM.
    removed the VZ Navigator lines in the script and redoctored, so far so good!

UPDATE - nope nm, back to old inconsistent behavior. sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. but hey that's better than most of the last month or so when it hasn't worked at all
    Have you done Ebag333's hack?

Telling the phone to use only the actual GPS and not aGPS might help.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Have you done Ebag333's hack?

Telling the phone to use only the actual GPS and not aGPS might help.
    thanks for bringing that to my attention, now I'm trying to get the drivers to install on win7 x64... reading threads now

UPDATE: got started on Ebag333 hack and the drivers wouldn't install, presumably cuz they're not x64 unlike my win7 install. I dont have the capability to run XP mode in win7, and all my computer supplies are packed for moving to another state, so I'm at a dead end for the time being until I can get around to borrowing a friends winXP machine or get a dualboot running hopefully next week.

that being said the GPS thus far is working somewhat. Foursquare seems okay, but Weather Dashboard can't get a lock, neither can I get a ##477# Fix with any regularity. I'll be back!
    Last edited by Greyfish7; 03/26/2011 at 10:50 AM.

Is there a way to do this after you've doctored to 2.1? I just doctored mine today and like you said 2.1 is freakin' fantastic but I want to some how disable VZ Nav without having to re-doctor it...
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    So you are saying that I can upgrade to 2.0 on my Pre Plus and still have my palm profile? I havent been around these forums for a while. Have they found a way to do that? I dont have a pre 2.
    Yeah I just doctored my Pre+ to 2.1 and I kept my palm profile and everything. Do a backup just in case, using Save/Restore and upload your files to your computer but otherwise you should be fine.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast