Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I had to replace my Pre due to a dead headset speaker and with a refurbished phone, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to webOS 2.1. I wanted to wait a few days to see how the phone and battery will hold out over with some information that may be helpful for those that are waiting to upgrade.

I followed the great wiki (four times over before hand) set forth with the meta-doctor process.

Some key notes to think about while you are doing this:

-Get some coffee.
    -Snack food is a good way to take the "edge off" if you are nervous.
    -Don't attempt this late at night. Be fully aware of what you are doing, -especially if you do not have a non-technical background.
    -If you have dual monitors, Top Gear S13 is now available on Netflix in HD
    -ANYONE can do this with a little bit a patience.

A few things I also took the plunge on since I didn't have a lot of information on the old or new phone. I kept my Palm Profile intact. This may or may not have led to a few random reboots on its own during the process of updating the phone/syncing.

Another thing I came across is that it took a good 45-60 minutes before the phone was fully "usable" While it worked, it was VERY slow during its sync. After this time and everything did finish syncing, the phone FLEW. I was quite surprised at just how responsive it was for the stock specs. Again, I will repeat that it WAS INITIALLY SLOW but that resolved itself after the syncing.

I used the phone for a day in its "stock" form before I put my photos, sounds, music onto the phone again. I still did my normal Facebook, Twitter, Pandora with wifi on all day, frequent phone calls and web browsing at work to see how the phone would handle it. I have the Seidio 2600mah battery and at the end of my typical work shift, I would be at 35% remaining with 1.4.5.. with webOS 2.1, I was at 44%. Speed throughout the day was very usable and stable.

The following day I went and downloaded Preware, UberKernal, and Govnah to see how the phone would fair overclocked. It made me ******* giddy after the phone rebooted and thoughts of the possibilities that this could lead with stock hardware would be something else if HP actually pushed webOS marketing hard.

I had no problem having 10-20 cards open, organized in stacks, which actually helped my productivity more than I thought it would when I first heard about stacks. At the end of my work day, again with wifi, Pandora, gaming, etc all running, the battery was down to 34% *though I was on a conference call for 30 minutes*.

So what is my overall thoughts of WebOS 2.1?

- HP/Verizon Wireless should really be slapped for not pushing this out to legacy users. I was one of many who considered giving both companies the middle finger but I will thank the Homebrew community for their amazing push on getting this out to legacy phone owners.

- WebOS is really an underrated, powerful operating system that has had some very poor marketing, horrible management decisions, and slow device roll out and not being available to other phone manufactures really hit hard on this phone. If given the money, I am more than positive the Homebrew and the community could push webOS much further than what Palm did for us.

- GPS works like a champ now. It locked on my apartment (inside too!) in less than a second. I hope a decent and faster navigation program comes out that will take advantage of this. A short drive around had me pinned perfectly with no hunting or lost of signal. This is how ALL phones should be.

- Touchscreen is still a bit laggy.. not sure if that is the device or the OS itself but it isn't enough to bother me.

- Most importantly, this has revived my loyalty to webOS but NOT HP until they can start pushing devices and updates out. I have more faith in the community than I do the company. Again, until more solid, quality built devices on good hardware is released, webOS will continue to suffer what is currently seeing today.

- I happily almost converted one iPhone user. How? True Multitasking. Why didn't it happen? Hardware...

- and with that...one final thought - Most people won't carry a phone around called a "Pre". While we in this community can say otherwise, the general non-geeks simply see this phone as a ladies phone. Smooth lines, rounded, small, light. An edgier phone, rectangular (think iphone/evo/nexus like), slightly bigger (same size or a touch smaller than iphone), faster device would sale much better and stronger.

Overall, if you haven't done this already, by all means, do it, ask the community for help and most importantly, donate to the awesome minds we have on staff at WebOS Internals. This community would be lacking far worse if it wasn't for them.

My donation will be coming next weekend.

Thanks for reading!
    nice writeup. And I agree on the name... The Pre3 will meet my needs for bigger/Eddie, but they stuck with the Pre name.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    nice writeup. And I agree on the name... The Pre3 will meet my needs for bigger/Eddie, but they stuck with the Pre name.
    Agreed... I was hoping for Eclipse or something like that.. the phone that eclipses the competition. Something bold, striking, not just "Pre"

Ah well, we will presumably *ha!* hear some more goodies on the 14th...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    a quick update:

I've had some fleeting issues with the wifi access on the phone. It could just be at my work but the is some what annoying.

The next issue is my email not syncing automatically. I had to change my Gmail and work email to sync every 5 minutes in order for it to work right. Sucks when you get a critical work ticket but then again, it isn't that big of a deal. This is unrelated to the wifi issue since it does it on wifi or 3g.

other than that, phone is rocking. May need to consider getting a new battery for this device though as a spare since I am consistently on it now.

-all typed on a Palm Pre Plus runnin 2.1
    your write up makes me want to flash my phone to 2.1!
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    try removing one gmail account. make sure that all the contacts and messages are gone from the phone... and then try adding it back in. See if that changes. I don't have 2.1, but I've had a similar issue with 2.0. What I did was remove all of my gmail accounts from my phone and run the backup to save the changes in my palm profile. Then when I doctored (for a different reason) I didn't add the gmail accounts back in until it was all set up. Seemed to help.

One of the accounts had LOTS of contacts and I added the account back before they were gone... and that confused the phone for several days...
    thanks for the writeup. The more I read about other user's experiences with the update, the more tempted I am to do it.

and your analysis of palm's failures is dead on right...although I don't mind the pre name.

two things that are holding me back, besides the time factor in that I really don't have free time...installing flash appears daunting...and even more basic than that, I don't know what the "install palm novacom software" refers to in the wiki. When I click the link it takes me to palm's dev site...the only thing I see to download is the 1.4.5 sdk. Perhaps someone can tell me what to download there?

again, thanks for the observations.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

two things that are holding me back, besides the time factor in that I really don't have free time...installing flash appears daunting...and even more basic than that, I don't know what the "install palm novacom software" refers to in the wiki. When I click the link it takes me to palm's dev site...the only thing I see to download is the 1.4.5 sdk. Perhaps someone can tell me what to download there?

again, thanks for the observations.
    Installing Flash is not that hard if you follow the instructions carefully. Particularly in relation to which directories to place files in.

Not sure what instructions you are referring to, but these are the ones that you should follow.

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

Installing the Palm SDK " is the best way to install the novacom and novaterm programs which are used to transfer files to and from your device and to access the command line on your device."
    I've been holding off on doing this, for a variety of reasons.
    Most importantly is that I have concerns about the Free Verizon hotspot that comes with my Verizon plan. I haven't seen a definite answer on whether the "free" component survives the upgrade.
    Anybody know for sure? Thanks!
    step 1 of the wiki says to follow step 1 of setting up the metadoctor. That specifically says: "Download and install the Palm Novacom software from http://developer.palm.com"

what is novacom software? Is it the palm sdk? If so, that's the 1.4.5 sdk, not 2.1...
    I know it sounds naive but I have never
    octored my phone so I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    Most importantly is that I have concerns about the Free Verizon hotspot that comes with my Verizon plan. I haven't seen a definite answer on whether the "free" component survives the upgrade.
    The answer is “Yes”. At least one poster in the 2.1 “upgrade” thread did confirm MH work. I can confirm that it does work for me both on the device and in my “My Verizon” - MH data use was ported from data into MH data a few days later just like before I upgraded my device. One Happy Camper here.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fahzz View Post
    I will test this out for you over the weekend and will give you a full write up on Monday with the data usage. It'll give me some time to play around with Ubuntu on my netbook while I am on the train.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to help them out but it is very simple to do this upgrade by following the wiki.
    yes the mobile hotspot survives. I just performed the upgrade yesterday and @have the hotspot app and have used it.
    take the leap.. It is so worth it. 8-)
    i am dying to to this upgrade to my VZW pre plus but i don't have enough hard drive space to do it dang it, i just want to give my Pre a bit more life!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakehn View Post
    i am dying to to this upgrade to my VZW pre plus but i don't have enough hard drive space to do it dang it, i just want to give my Pre a bit more life!
    If you are that low on space my friend, Newegg has a great sale on external hard drives right now =)

Shouldn't need no more than a gig of space to install it all and most of those files can be deleted once you are done to recoup that space =)
    @fahzz

I'm also biding my time for the same reason, among others.

The unofficial upgrade hasn't even been out for a month, has it? Although we're getting the reports that it works and My Verizon shows the data in the right place, for me the proof will be in an actual bill. I'm waiting for someone to get their bill and give us a real, final word.

Right now the "free" part of the MHS is pretty important to me. If I do it and my bill shows up with the extra charge, I'm toast.

I'm also hesitant because of the newness of the upgrade. I think I'll wait until all the dust settles--maybe even till Verizon officially (if ever) releases it.

Reading all the cool tips and articles about it on P|C (BT keyboard, w00t!) make me very interested in taking the plunge, but if this Pre goes, I'm back to my Treo until the cows come home--and that's not quite worth it right now.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    step 1 of the wiki says to follow step 1 of setting up the metadoctor. That specifically says: "Download and install the Palm Novacom software from http://developer.palm.com"

what is novacom software? Is it the palm sdk? If so, that's the 1.4.5 sdk, not 2.1...
    I know it sounds naive but I have never
    octored my phone so I don't know.
    Novacom is the drivers and tools (Novaterm) needed to talk to the Pre hardware via a USB connection. Without it, the Pre will not give access to the secure areas of the hardware in order to install or make changes to the the core OS and firmware.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    i thought the wiki says we need around 10GB? for the whole process ?

and yeah i know about the deals at newegg, but believe it or not, can't even afford that right now.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    man I am so tempted

I haven't checked the wiki in awhile, need to see what the progress has been, my understanding was that there was still a few things not working right.

I'm short on time since I'm moving in a week and a half, but i'm budgeting my time to have some free time next week for some geek projects - possibly 2.1 upgrade and also root a nookcolor that fell into my hands recently and try to put honeycomb on it or something. Neither of which I have a clue how to do! but that's what makes it fun!

I need to doctor my preplus anyway, somehow i've put too many GPS patches on it or something because now all it gets is GPS errors, even after tryin to get a manual GPS fix. course could also just be dead I suppose. may do a doctor to 1.4.5 first just to see. and to have "some" experience with the basics before attempting 2.1
    Mr. Greyfish:

Let me be the first to say. Take an hour and do the 2.1 upgrade as soon as you can. Kudo's to the 'roundup' boys. It went absolutely flawlessly and effortlessly. If you follow the instructions to the T (and A), it is simple and automatic.

If I was an engineer at VZW, I'd love to see how many Pre+ phones mysteriously are now 2.1's.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast