1.    #1  
    I just bought a refurbed sprint pre today and I'm looking to put 2.1 on it as a wi-fi only device just to see if I like it or not. My questions are derived after looking through the necessary wiki's and forum searches I just need help with specifics.

1. How can I get the unactivated pre into developer mode BEFORE flashing 2.1 on it. Is it even necessary?

2.By using a "wi-fi only" tag at the end of the metadoctor "device name" part wil it bypass the activation part?

3. Also can anyone point me to a post or thread or what not that is more specific to my situation (also searched for this as well )

Thanks again to all that post!

viva la palm/HP
    Last edited by Srycantthnk; 03/09/2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    you need to create a special Webos Doctor modifying an existing one, this software was created to asist in the creation of a modified webos doctor
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html

as the webos doctor is copyright of HP/Palm people cant distribute a modified webos doctor legally and thats why its not encouraged here, its not really hard to do but requieres patience, there are youtube video guides on how you can create your own.
    If you dont have linux you can install virtualbox and create a virtual machine just for meta doctors, you can use a turnkey linux vm with vmware player as well http://www.turnkeylinux.org/core
  3.    #3  
    Oh of course i know about doing the meta-doctor and not distributing or sharing the mash-up! i just haven't gone through the process with an unactivated phone :/... Thats the big question for me. I understand the process while using a standard sprint pre -. I just need a little direction on if its unactivated and then just becoming a wi-fi only 2.1 device.
    Last edited by Srycantthnk; 03/09/2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    theres no problem with the unactivated phone, i actually had a sprint unactivated pre before my pre 2 and had to program it for the Iusacell network in Mexico, the first step was to use a modified webos-doctor
    just remember to use the first use app if you want to download apps directly via wifi and sync your palm profile, if for some reason you need a phone number to create a new profile you can program it with qpst using the usb passtrough
    You don't need to put the phone into developer mode or install any patches. Just go to the wiki (link below) and follow the instructions to create the metadoctor for wifi for your carrier and device. The script you will use for your carrier and device has a tag for wifi only and the wiki will tell you exactly what to type for that script.

After you run the script and doctor your phone, you will then log onto your wifi network. After that, you can run the app on the phone called gesture tutorial and it will open up a screen where you can log onto your profile.

However, any profile you use cannot be taken back down to 1.45 if you decide to go back down to 1.45.

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
  6.    #6  
    The biggest reason im doing this is
    A. To test my abilities on following the directions lol and
    B. I do not want to use a palm profile on this phone...
    so basically what your telling me by using the metadoctor and then using the script "./scripts/meta-<carrier>-<device>-<version> --wifi-only" i will be able to after rebooting the phone when it gets to the palm profile part i would be able to use the phone like normal minus the phones radio and service?
    yes. log onto wifi before you reboot.
    if you use a profile you can also get access to the free and paid apps in the app catalog.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Bluenote! I've been keeping up on these forums these past 2 years and you've always been awesome. I'll PM you if i have any questions! Thanks
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    thats right, you can use it as a dev phone for instance (if your app doesnt need phone, agps, etc) and you dont need to run the first use app, but you will need the dev mode to install apps
    if you have a mac, its super easy to do.
  11.    #11  
    Sadly no mac! its meta-doctoring as i type this... lol
    Looks like you got your 3 questions answered. I did it all on a sprint device and it worked fine. Just ran the script with --wifi-only, doctored, and that's it! I'd suggest creating a new profile so you can download apps (paid even if you like). GPS even worked on mine. (Again that's the gesture tutorial if you want to do that.)
  13.    #13  
    Well it just finished up! Thanks everyone!

Edit: Little confused on how to install webos quick install ? what doctor do i use LOL
    Last edited by Srycantthnk; 03/09/2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Just use the one you used to doctor your Pre. I'm not sure it really matters as long as it's 2.1. Anyone want to clarify?
  15.    #15  
    For clarification for anyone having problems like me. I went to the preware wiki and it told me how to get preware on phones greater than 2.0 and was fairly seamless. Now i will run tests on save/restore and such to see what i would lose from migrating my profile over.

Now my last question if you have one pre that is connected to sprint and you have another refurb if you migrate your profile over to that phone does it then connect to sprint? Or do i need to get everything switched over while both are on 1.4.5 using sprint? Also after migrating the profile over that phone then lose all traces of its existence or can i still salvage things from it like the usb drives and launcher icons?

Thanks again to all who have helped me through the process... we have an amazing community here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Srycantthnk View Post
    For clarification for anyone having problems like me. I went to the preware wiki and it told me how to get preware on phones greater than 2.0 and was fairly seamless. Now i will run tests on save/restore and such to see what i would lose from migrating my profile over.

Now my last question if you have one pre that is connected to sprint and you have another refurb if you migrate your profile over to that phone does it then connect to sprint? Or do i need to get everything switched over while both are on 1.4.5 using sprint? Also after migrating the profile over that phone then lose all traces of its existence or can i still salvage things from it like the usb drives and launcher icons?

Thanks again to all who have helped me through the process... we have an amazing community here!
    The second phone won't connect to Sprint just by using a Palm Profile, it must be registered to the carrier. I would say connect the second one to sprint while they are both on 1.45 so that if there are any problems, you can take the new phone to Sprint and have them fix it. Once it doctors to 2.1, they cannot help you with software issues.

Palm right now will only tolerate one profile for one phone so if the other phone is active and on the same profile, it will wipe the old phone. There are plans in the future for Palm to let you have one profile on more than one device so stay tuned in the summer.

For now, I think you might need to put the old phone in airplane mode to keep access but am not sure--try searching precentral to see if you can get an answer from another post as I believe it has been discussed, but I can't remember the outcome.