Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Let me preface by saying I have had almost every physical ailment that could happen to a Sprint Pre. I'm currently on my 6th (I think) Sprint Pre and I have a new problem that I haven't heard or read about.

It actually happened last week after I exchanged my phone yet again (this time having to pay the $35 because I'm out of warranty) for a new one because of the phantom screen issue I was having. Unfortunately I discovered on the way home that the refurb they gave me had a blown speaker. As I used it more I also noticed that the screen looks incredibly murky, sort of like when there are oils from your face or hands on the screen and you need to clean them off. I called up Sprint and had them order a replacement.

Today I went in to get the replacement and discovered that the screen is exactly the same as the previous one; murky as all get out. I'm not too worried about it because I'm going to be converting it to a Pre 2 as soon as I get my developer phone in the mail from HP (very soon).

My question is has anyone else experienced this? I'm wondering if it's actually the plastic that they are using on the most recent refurbished phones. I don't think it is the actual LCD but I could be wrong. The curious thing is I've never seen or heard of this problem (even after searching here) and I have now had two phones in less than a week with the same issue.

Any thoughts?
  2. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I noticed this on my refurbs from Verizon. I'm guessing they're using a plastic polish to restore the screen to "like new", but that is also removing any surface treatments that kept it clearer and free-ish of oils. Wipe thoroughly with a good microfiber cloth and see if it still appears murky.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Yah it's definitely not cleaning off. I thoroughly tried to clean this phone and the last one with no luck. I'm thinking it might be underneath the plastic. Definitely not surface oils.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-screen.html

Same issue in this thread. I just went back to sprint with each replacement and after three I finally got a good one.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Nice, thanks. Sounds like it is a more recent issue with the newer refurbs.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Got my very 1st referb 2 weeks ago (USB Crack finally killed my touch screen on my July 2009 Pre).

Screen is yellowish and has some really weird burn marks like the device got too hot, but in a pattern that almost looks like liquid under the screen. The screen also flickers as if there isn't a consistant voltage to maintain the brightness.

It doesn't flicker when on the Touchstone.

Very sad to be in this boat. It has really soured me for getting any new hardware. I doubt any will drop on Sprint anyway so it may be moot since I will probably have to switch to BB or Android. :/
    I don't think this would affect your ability to create a Sprint Pre2, since (if i understand correctly) you'll pull the comm board out of your Pre- and put it into the Pre2.

A little off topic, but this was a concern of the OP in post 1.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Yah I don't think I'm going to bother with yet another exchange as I soon will be looking at a beautiful and shiny, glass Pre 2 screen!