Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Not always. Just sometimes, seemingly annoying times. It'll go silent on me then some time later I notice calls I missed and hit the volume buttons to find it has been reduced to nothing.

Usually coming out of sleep mode. I used to think I accidentally hit it with my hand but after a number of careful experiments (checking and double checking then leaving on touchstone and walking away) I've been able to reproduce this behaviour. Again, not every time, but enough to know I'm not delusional.

I did use preware to install a few things but afaikafaikafaik $nothing$ $involving$ $an$ $automatic$ $silent$ $mode$. $I$ $take$ $it$ $back$. $I$ $think$ $I$ $installed$ $something$ $to$ $prevent$ $the$ $bong$ $sound$ $on$ $the$ $charger$ $which$ $I$ $still$ $get$ $on$ $one$ $of$ $mine$. $I$ $suppose$ $that$ $could$ $be$ $it$. $Will$ $try$ ($just$ $thought$ $of$ $that$ $as$ $I$ $typed$ $this$ $so$ $will$ $post$ $anyway$ $and$ $report$ $back$).
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This has been happening to me recently and I thought I'd gone nuts...I've been running a ton of stuff through PreWare, but I can't think of anything that might have caused this.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but if anybody has any idea what's causing this I'd love to hear it!
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Are you using Voice Dialing? Voice Dialing will disable sounds as a bug, I think, on 2.1. Restart your device.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Mine's a stock VZ Pre Plus with 1.4.5 on it...so no voice dialing.
    are you using any of the patches like "really silent ringer" or suppressing sounds?

I found that when I manually turn the volume down on a call, it doesn't rebound at the end and the ringer volume is then set to zero. I removed those patches.