1.    #1  
    For access to a secure medical network, I have had to update the security certificate every 6 months or so. I do not have to update the cert for access to Exchange, so this problem is limited to secure wifi access. According to my IT people, neither iOS or Android require this updating because it is possible to turn off the certificate requirement. Is this the case, and if so, is there a way around it? One would expect the security wouldn't be more stringent on WebOS compared to the other OS's.
    From my experience, when you choose to manually configure for 802.1x authentication, if the AP requires a certificate then it needs to be in the phones certificate store, and if not then it will let you connect. Try removing all related certificates from the phones store, remove the saved wifi connection then try reconnecting and see if it works.
    Last edited by dagumcp; 03/08/2011 at 09:25 PM.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  3.    #3  
    Thanks...but I want to make sure I understand. There are three related certificates; you are saying that if I remove them, then remove the connection and attempt to reconnect, that might work? I can try that when I'm at work, but it still doesn't answer the question as to why this is even needed for the Pre when it isn't required for iPhones?
    From your previous explanation it sounded like your certs expire every 6 months, and if that's the case and you're trying to authenticate it will see the expired cert until you updated it. However, the fact that you just mentioned three certs sounds like it's for more than just AP authentication. Anyway, I think you should remove the certs and try to connect since you've been told they're not required.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by determinedd View Post
    From your previous explanation it sounded like your certs expire every 6 months, and if that's the case and you're trying to authenticate it will see the expired cert until you updated it. However, the fact that you just mentioned three certs sounds like it's for more than just AP authentication. Anyway, I think you should remove the certs and try to connect since you've been told they're not required.
    As a follow-up, I did remove all the local certs and tried to connect, at which point I got a "Security certificate required" which is the same message I get when using the out-of-date one. They are looking into updating the current certificate, but it's frustrating because according to them, the Pre is the only phone that has this issue.
    Bummer. It sounds like the alternative authentication method they use isn't supported on the Pre.