Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I took out the batery immeditly but the thing is tht i dried the outer with a towel and put the bettery back in and tried to turn it on. Will tht kill the phone? Its in rice right now....
    if the insides are not completely dry and you try to turn it on there is a very good chance you will cause a short somewhere and damage your phone. The extent of the damage is variable, from minor problems to completely dead. Best bet is to let it sit in rice for as long as possible.
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smknutson View Post
    if the insides are not completely dry and you try to turn it on there is a very good chance you will cause a short somewhere and damage your phone. The extent of the damage is variable, from minor problems to completely dead. Best bet is to let it sit in rice for as long as possible.
    fried rice, boiled, brown?
    if you tried to turn it on its dead. You should have took the battery out and put in white rice right away
    white, DRY, rice. Heh.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    Absolutely agree with smknuston - DO NOT TURN IT ON UNTIL FOR AT LEAST 48 HOURS!

It really all depends upon how long it was in the water and how much got in. If you dropped it in and immediately pulled it out, there's a good chance that not much water got in, and you should be okay.

But if it completely submerged and was in the water for over 30 seconds, you really need to be patient and let it air out completely. Open the back, remove the battery, let it sit in the dry rice (covered) for the 48 hours, and PRAY! (is there a patron saint of electroncs? Bill Gates?)

Hope things work out for you - the biggest problem that most people have is trying to turn it on too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisack23 View Post
    PRAY! (is there a patron saint of electroncs?
    Saints Vidicon and Isidore - Patron Saints of Computers and High Tech
    Prē
    I dropped my pre in water (gah!) and immediately took out the battery and let it dry in rice for a good two days, and it was fine thereafter.... Just don't try to get it going sooner.
    Oh, and there IS a moisture sensor in the phone, as I found out when an unrelated problem cropped up and I tried to get it fixed, only for them to tell me "The moisture sensor shows this phone was dropped in water, so we can't fix your volume button." ARGH! :P I fixed it myself, though, luckily.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    if you tried to turn it on its dead. You should have took the battery out and put in white rice right away
    You can't say this definitively. Such mistakes have been made before and phones have still recovered. Let's not freak the person out.

There is still a chance for the phone to recover. My Pre took a bath with me and was fine, after a few days of drying.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  11.    #11  
    man.. i just got 2.1.0 on my phone last night too.. was having so much fun with it x.x well anyway it droppped in for only like 3-4 sec. I pulled it out and i was trying to use it but it was frozen. so i pulled battery. dried it off with towel and tried to see if tht would do the trick. Did not. did some research and i put it in rice. for about 20-30min took it out tested. didnt work. guessing i hav to buy another palm pre. sigh...... see if the palm pre 3 was out right now i wouldnt feel so terrible. 1st time destroying my pre btw. had it since last febuary-march
    Let it sit in the rice and dry for about 2 days. Stop trying to turn it on.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    20-30 minutes won"t do anything. I would bake it in rice. seriously. I cover the top and bottom with rice and bake it on low for about 3 hours. Battery out, of course. This may sound insane, but it works. Matias Duarte even said he bakes a wet phone. Disclaimer: never tried it on a Pre. Did it to an HTC 6800, and it worked fine. Also done on a bunch of dumb-phones.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    long story short... I dropped my pre- in my cereal one morning and it was about half submerged (the top half) for about 5 seconds.

the ringer on and off button stopped working and the speaker sounded a little distorted.

It gave me an excuse to make a sprint pre plus so I guess it was a blessing in disguise
    Quote Originally Posted by evanmelin View Post
    long story short... I dropped my pre- in my cereal one morning and it was about half submerged (the top half) for about 5 seconds.

the ringer on and off button stopped working and the speaker sounded a little distorted.

It gave me an excuse to make a sprint pre plus so I guess it was a blessing in disguise
    Hmm wheres that glass of milk I just had...
    Quote Originally Posted by pixmantrix View Post
    I took out the batery immeditly but the thing is tht i dried the outer with a towel and put the bettery back in and tried to turn it on. Will tht kill the phone? Its in rice right now....
    If you had put it in the rice first, it most likely would have been fine. That you put the battery back in and tried to turn it on, most likely fried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    20-30 minutes won"t do anything. I would bake it in rice. seriously. I cover the top and bottom with rice and bake it on low for about 3 hours. Battery out, of course. This may sound insane, but it works. Matias Duarte even said he bakes a wet phone. Disclaimer: never tried it on a Pre. Did it to an HTC 6800, and it worked fine. Also done on a bunch of dumb-phones.
    no need to bake. Just place in a bag of dry, white rice over night and you're good. I've don't this on my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    If you had put it in the rice first, it most likely would have been fine. That you put the battery back in and tried to turn it on, most likely fried it.
    I say try the rice trick anyway but leave it in there for at least 24 hours with the keyboard slid out and the battery and back cover off.
    Quote Originally Posted by evanmelin View Post

Same thing happened to me. My son dunked me pre- in a glass of milk and bye bye earpiece. Convinced the wife to let me get a plus and now I have a sprint Pre Plus!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast