1.    #1  
    Hey guys, new member on the forum but been reading precentral for a while..

Ive been thinking of getting a pre since june last year, and as my SE p1i is slowly giving up the ghost (it lasted me 4 years so I think its allowed to retire) ill probably be getting one.

Im thinking of the Pre Plus and not the Pre 2 as the Pre 3 will be coming out this summer, and as Ill be needing a phone like right now it would be a bit silly to cash out $500 for the 2 will be instantly be obsolet(ish). Im saying $500 as I live in Cyprus and will therefore need an unlocked GSM device.

Would the Pre Plus be a good choice? I can find them relatively cheap on ebay, although most of them are locked on AT&T. How easy is it to unlock them? Should I play safe and cash out the extra $$ for an unlocked one?

Im also considering the Pre Plus as it can be updated to 2.1, how safe is this though?

Apologies for the big wall o' text but I havent even seen anything upclose from palm yet so Im still a bit hesitant..
    In Cyprus you should get the EU version instead, since UMTS there is 2100. With the AT&T version you'll be stuck on 2G.

Your best best is to get a German O2 Pre Plus, which officially has 2.1. You can get them unlocked straight from factory.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    Hey thanks for the quick reply. The problem with the german ones is that they have qwertz keyboards.. will give it some more thought though.

The AT&T ones dont do 3g? most of the ebay listings ive seen have it in the specs..
    they do, but AT&Ts frequency is different than in the EU for GSM 3G so if you get an AT&T one you will not be able to connect to 3G, thus being stuck in 2G.
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the eye-opener! A quick search in these forums shows that I can potentially remap the "z" to become a "y" so that eliminates that problem.

Quality wise, where is the german pre plus? is it on par with the AT&T Pre Plus or as the older models?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    Thanks for the eye-opener! A quick search in these forums shows that I can potentially remap the "z" to become a "y" so that eliminates that problem.

Quality wise, where is the german pre plus? is it on par with the AT&T Pre Plus or as the older models?
    Yes, Meta-Doctor does that. Also if you feel adventurous, you can even swap the overlay.

They're the same units. Not sure if it's placebo effect, but some reports are out that are out there suggesting the AT&T versions has better quality. I know the Verizon ones are plagued with the keyboard issue (my second one is starting to mildly develop it), but AT&T version is generally immune.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  7.    #7  
    Ive noticed from ebay some units look like the AT&T while others have the round button (like the sprint) so maybe there is a difference in reports from people whove used them as there are two different models.
    The ones with the round button are the original pre (pre minus around here). The AT&T version is the pre plus. The plus version has a better keyboard, better build quality, and twice the ram which really helps out with performance.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
    verizon keyboard issues were mostly related to bugs that were fixed in 1.4.5

yes, there were a few hardware keyboard issue, but generally speaking the at&t or vzw pre+ hardware have decent/solid keyboards.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. Cantaffordit, congrats on ur 9000th post!!