Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ***NOTE THAT USING CYGWIN ON WINDOWS IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED AND WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE FAIL TO BOOT. I RECOMMEND YOU FOLLOW THE AUTHORITATIVE MetaDoctor AND webOS 2 Upgrade WIKI PAGE***

Note: The techniques mentioned here were developed by WebOS Internals, and the scripts are an additional level of automation upon an already significantly automated procedure developed by WebOS Internals.

It is IMPERATIVE that you read the authoritative wiki page thoroughly *before* executing the scripts.

I helped a couple of non-technical and not-so computer savy people to doctor their Sprint Pre-/+ to webOS 2.1.0 today and after a while, i got tired and figured there's got be a way to automate things a little so i came up with a simple script and a one line cmd that run steps 1 thru 5 in the Application:MetaDoctor wiki and step 3 in the WebOS 2 Upgrade wiki.

Before proceeding, please verify you have Cygwin correctly installed (See attached pdf for instructions on installing Cygwin).

1) Download your carrier zip file (attached). Example, Sprint Pre users will download semi-auto-sprint-2.1.0.zip

2) Unzip the attachment and copy the contents (2 files) to c:\cygwin folder.

3) Browse to C:\Cygwin folder and run/open the cmd file. Example, Sprint Pre users will run semi-auto-sprint-2.1.0.cmd

4) Once the webOS 2.1.0 JAR build is complete, it'll pop-up and initiate the doctoring/upgrade process. Follow the onscreen instructions.

Don't forget to put your phone in Developer mode (type webos20090606 => Developer Mode Enabler => ON)

***Please DO NOT forget Step 6 in the WebOS 2 Upgrade. Donation is what make all of these awesomeness possible.***

For general help/troubleshooting/questions and/or tips about the webOS 2 Upgrade, goto the official thread.

As always, please do this at your own risk.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ASASEABAN; 06/16/2011 at 07:37 AM.
    can you do something like this for the vzw one?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    can you do something like this for the vzw one?
    See updated attachments.
    Last edited by ASASEABAN; 03/05/2011 at 10:35 PM.
    I tried using your scripts and nothing happens I followed both of your guides to the letter.

I figured it out I had to change:
    c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l /cygdrive/c/cygwin/sprint-pre-2.1.0

to start c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l /cygdrive/c/cygwin/Semi-auto-Sprint-2.1.0
    Last edited by mamouton; 03/05/2011 at 09:57 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I tried using your scripts and nothing happens I followed both of your guides to the letter.

I figured it out I had to change:
    c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l /cygdrive/c/cygwin/sprint-pre-2.1.0

to start c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -l /cygdrive/c/cygwin/Semi-auto-Sprint-2.1.0
    Fixed! Attachment updated.

Thanks!
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    where will the doctor file be saved to?

Well doctor popped up like you said but where is the file so I can save it so I don't have to build a metadoctor for each phone.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    where will the doctor file be saved to?

Well doctor popped up like you said but where is the file so I can save it so I don't have to build a metadoctor for each phone.
    search for *.jar
    Last edited by ASASEABAN; 03/06/2011 at 01:29 PM.
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    Nice job! Especially the PDF on Cygwin. I think a lot of people were having issues with that.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    Could somebody help me out? Much thanks for the automated cmd. However, I've tried doctoring my Sprint Pre Minus manually as well and I continue to get this error! very frustrating! It occurs while creating the Sprint Pre 1.45 build

Thanks in advance!
    the zip files seem to be corrupt...
    EDIT: Nevermind, 7-zip seems to work with them.
    Last edited by cygnusx12112; 03/06/2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: wrong
    thanks for the reply. i should reinstall Cgywin or?
    SWEET! Is sprint Nav included?

Edit:Nope, but still awesome!
    Last edited by carr76013; 03/06/2011 at 03:57 AM.
    nice! this is pretty much what i was waiting for! still a little hesitant about losing sprint nav tho...

edit: cant unzip the file, i get this error...

edit: didn't see this, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cygnusx12112 View Post
    the zip files seem to be corrupt...
    EDIT: Nevermind, 7-zip seems to work with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 03/06/2011 at 06:34 AM.
    Could you please add a couple of things to the first post:

1) Clear attribution of the source of these techniques, and pointers to where people can donate to those who made these things possible.

2) Prominent links to the original threads and Wiki pages, so that people can read them fully before deciding whether or not to run these scripts.

3) Clear directions for people to *read* the Wiki pages *before* running these scripts, so that they are fully aware of all caveats and limitations and risks of running these scripts.

4) Prominent pointers to the official threads where community support for people performing these modifications is happening, so that the community support is not fragmented across multiple threads.

Thanks,

-- Rod

[Update: the additions have been made. Thanks.]
    Last edited by rwhitby; 03/06/2011 at 07:09 PM.
    It would sure be nice if someone did this for Ubuntu...Haven't had much luck with Cygwin..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    If you could do this for Bell Mobility I'd be sooo happy! I'm decent with windows computer but im zero with Linux so the metadoctor thing is really bugging me right now... And the illegal all made doctor have some issue with sms.
    Thanks alot and I'll gladly make a donation if this can be done!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    It would sure be nice if someone did this for Ubuntu...Haven't had much luck with Cygwin..
    1) Were you able to install Cygwin successfully?

2) What steps (from the Meta-Doctor wiki or webOS 2 upgrade wiki) are you having issues with?
    ~~~Asaseaban~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Um, with Ubuntu, the only thing you have to do is install novacom, java, and copy/paste the commands on the Wiki into your terminal.

For Windows users, after installing Cygwin, novacom, and the relevant packages, you just copy/paste the commands on the Wiki in the terminal.

The process has been greatly simplified already. You don't even have to do the palm-build-info step anymore. Just run the script. At this point, the only way for it to be simpler is a script to install Cygwin or Ubuntu for you.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    1) Were you able to install Cygwin successfully?

2) What steps (from the Meta-Doctor wiki or webOS 2 upgrade wiki) are you having issues with?
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Um, with Ubuntu, the only thing you have to do is install novacom, java, and copy/paste the commands on the Wiki into your terminal.

For Windows users, after installing Cygwin, novacom, and the relevant packages, you just copy/paste the commands on the Wiki in the terminal.

The process has been greatly simplified already. You don't even have to do the palm-build-info step anymore. Just run the script. At this point, the only way for it to be simpler is a script to install Cygwin or Ubuntu for you.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yea I actually used WUBI and the dual boot Ubuntu, and it could not have gone smoother. I only made that comment because I personally found Ubuntu to be super easy, whereas the instructions(initially anyway) for Cygwin were not clear....specifically upon install and trying to select the components. But for all I know that was the specific instructions I had and the exe of Cygwin I had....since everyone else says it's so easy..

So yea..I was more referring to making it easier for other ppl who prefer Ubuntu..
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASASEABAN View Post
    ...so i came up with a simple script...
    Waow! Can't get much simpler than that! Even _I_ was able to get this done!! Great job!

Only one thing I'd add to the PDF is what Rod said in the wiki. "use View "Full" to find these specific packages more easily". Other than that, you guys ROCK!! All of you. Rod and the webOS-Internals crew, ASASEABAN, and all other who are helping out in the community and in editing the wikis!

Thanks again!
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast