Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    I recently upgraded my Pre- to 2.1 and decided to see if I could trick hulu/fox/nbc into not blocking my device now that I have flash. I'm sure they wouldn't be very watchable but still...I just wanna. Anyway, I've located and replaced the UA string in the libWebKitLuna.so using a hex editor, and here's the result:

    Original UA: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/%s; U; %s) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2

    Current UA: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b12) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b12 Palm webOS 1.4.5 Plugin will handle load

    The "Palm webOS 1.4.5 Plugin will handle load" portion is not listed in the hex, which means something is reporting this to servers when I connect. I would love if you guys could help me find what is causing it. It's a rather large file (11.7mb) and it's a lot to just sift through looking for nothing. I noticed mention of handling and an "event" service, will look int that. I'm pretty nube at this hex stuff and I know very little about the guts of WebOS. I've autopsied a UA patch installer I found on WebOsInternals testing feed, but the only thing I could really see was that it had to do with libWebKitLuna.so (it's what lead me there in the first place) and the fact that it changed a UA string inside the file. Well apparently that doesn't cut it in the current version of the browser.

    Now, when I replaced the UA string in hex, I added empty space to make up for the shorter UA and I haven't found a UA that matches the original's length

    Anybody got any ideas? The libWebKitLuna.so file is located at usr/lib/ in case you'd like to have a look.
  2. #2  
    You can replace the UA using the iPhone UA spoof. At least I know it works on 2.0.1 with the Pre 2. I would defenitely try the iPhone script though. It's much easier to change the UA string using that script, and you can easily change back if you encounter problems. Just search for it on the PC forums.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #3  
    I don't believe that the issue isn the UA, it's client-side support for the DRM. That's why they build apps fr specific device platforms. It's flash and client-side DRM that prevents you from watchng their stuff, even if you could convince it you wer using an idevice.
  4. #4  
    flash has extensive drm capablities.

    if they are doing it on android (before the hulu plus app arrives) they are probably using it via an alternate browser or PlayOn - which is greek to me.

    http://www.androidcentral.com/tags/hulu

    http://getandroidstuff.com/download-playon-mobile-android-app-watch-hulu-netflix-comedy-central-smartphone/

    http://blog.hulu.com/2011/01/06/hulu-plus-coming-soon-to-android-mobile-phones-live-on-vizio-hdtvs/

    I'm confident that they will eventually have a hulu app for webOS, too.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You can replace the UA using the iPhone UA spoof. At least I know it works on 2.0.1 with the Pre 2. I would defenitely try the iPhone script though. It's much easier to change the UA string using that script, and you can easily change back if you encounter problems. Just search for it on the PC forums.

    As far as I knew, the script hadn't been updated for 2.0, I tried it and it didn't do anything. Also I discovered that the string I was looking directly followed the UA string; my ***** self was just overlooking it repeatedly. I shall look on PC forums, though, thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't believe that the issue isn the UA, it's client-side support for the DRM. That's why they build apps fr specific device platforms. It's flash and client-side DRM that prevents you from watchng their stuff, even if you could convince it you wer using an idevice.
    Well that sucks. I knew that at some point someone got an EVO to play hulu via UA-spoof. I thought flash didn't support DRM... :-/
  6. #6  
    That's weird, I tried it on my Pre 2 and I could see the difference in the UA string.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That's weird, I tried it on my Pre 2 and I could see the difference in the UA string.
    I must have found an outdated patch. I managed to get it working (manual hex alteration) but there was no difference on sites like NBC, FOX, and Hulu. It must be what he said above, DRM and all that. I then changed it to the iPhone version and had many issues with webpages, so I'm back to the original haha. Oh well. TVersity Pro (if you can obtain it as I did) streams hulu feeds, you can create a feed around a specific search query, say "Archer" and then designate "full episodes" and then ordered by "air date". It requires a server which I'm not happy about, but oh well.
  8. #8  
    My palm pre did not have.
  9. #9  
    That's typically what I experienced for Flash-based sites that either have mobile apps or restrict mobile use. I just have the iPhone UA now. It's more useful to me.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    That's typically what I experienced for Flash-based sites that either have mobile apps or restrict mobile use. I just have the iPhone UA now. It's more useful to me.
    ]
    I actually tried the iPhone UA and it resulted in Google Maps instead acting as a container for the iPhone Google Maps mobile webpage, which completely took me by surprise, as well as many sites either not loading all-together, being blank, or resulting in a 404.

    Also, when I had 1.4.5, google loaded with the nice touch-version of their mobile site. Now, in 2.1.0, it loads the crappy mobile page you'd get on a $10 BREW phone.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions