Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Hi I got my replacement pre in the mail. I intend onbusing it without a data plan, but how do I get past the 'create a palm profile' or at least turn on wifi first before signing in? Because I don't have Internet on my at&t plan so it keeps failing to create the profile. Please help!
    Curious which of those options would let you access the App Catalog and allow you to be able to make emergency 911 calls over the cell network if you ever needed to do so?
    On webOS 2.0, it is as easy as opening the dialer and dialing ##DEVMODE#
    Prior to 2.0, you have to use meta doctor to bypass the carrier activation and the first use app.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Incorrect
    How exactly do you bypass the first use app without a data connection then? I've tried entering ##devmode# on my Pre Plus/Pre on 1.4.5 and it turns developer mode on, and then restarts and pops back up with the first use app.

Edit: After reading the official Palm developer bypass first use, it's ridiculous. But it's a little easier than downloading VirtualBox, installing Ubuntu and then creating meta-doctor for the specific task of bypassing activation and first use.

The required steps are:
    1. Put your phone into recovery mode (take battery out, hold up volume button, and then put battery back in). If this works, it should pop up with a USB symbol on the screen. Then plug it into your computer.
    2. Run the current webOS doctor. (optional if it's current) Then put it back into recovery mode.
    3. Run the activation bypass tool. Activation Bypass thingy
    4. Open CMD (windows) and type in java -jar devicetool.jar

That should work. Here's the link to the thread: http://developer.palm.com/index.php?...2051&Itemid=21
    Last edited by zealster; 03/06/2011 at 01:12 AM.
    Excuse my wording, *ridiculously easier.
    A little easier??? Are you serious? The above statement is 'ridiculous'.
    Have you done either?

Connect Pre to phone
    Press orange/grey+sym+r
    Hold volume up button
    Double-click the device.jar file

OP, just reread post 2.

thank you so much for this. I was starting to pull my hair out.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    A little easier??? Are you serious? The above statement is 'ridiculous'.
    Have you done either?

Connect Pre to phone
    Press orange/grey+sym+r
    Hold volume up button
    Double-click the device.jar file

OP, just reread post 2.
    has to have a SIM card inserted?
    and this will provide you access to free and paid apps?