Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Also, tangentially related - do we know what "Update Network Settings" does, and what effect it will have not being able to do that after updating a PRL manually as we're doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    Also, tangentially related - do we know what "Update Network Settings" does, and what effect it will have not being able to do that after updating a PRL manually as we're doing?

*I* haven't a clue what that button does/did. Maybe someone else does. I've wondered that for a while. It never really *looked* to do anything, but...

M.
    Ok, I'm back on 60676 - I may have just not had a "good" PRL file to go back to. I grabbed a copy from somewhere else. I wonder if I got 60677 from there when they finally put it up, I might have better luck.

It's weird, though - the md5 sums of prefroamlist from my backup of /var/lib/software and what I downloaded are the same.

I'm beginning to wonder if the PRL file that that person posted was a Verizon PRL file and not a Sprint one. When my GF gets home from work, I'm going to walk her though getting the PRL file off her Pre for testing.

M.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Well, oddly enough, it *seemed* like my battery life suddenly got better under that PRL. My battery stayed at 100% through lunch, and I would have expected it to drain to at least 95% if not further in my time away from my desk...
    That PRL that was posted is bad. Don't use it.

The md5sum of a 100% known TRUE Sprint 60677 PRL is:

Code:
    31137a8a69f2ca4ebeba2f7cae66d33c  Sprint_60677.prl
    And in a tarball:

Code:
    8237e31aa01dc630dd7d9e51e3177d30  Sprint_60677.tar
    I walked my GF through sending me the prefroamlist from her Pre. I have updated without issue. Yes, I have 3G on PRL 60677!

I'm going to check with Rod on the legality of posting a PRL here, though... Unless someone gets to it before me...

P.S.

Yes, it has survived a reboot.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 03/21/2011 at 05:47 PM.
    That's great, congrats. So apparently the key files in this process are the same from Pre to Pre even though some other files seem to be unique to each Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    That's great, congrats. So apparently the key files in this process are the same from Pre to Pre even though some other files seem to be unique to each Pre?

Yes. Some of the files do indeed contain our individual MEID and stuff like that (which is why the back up, doctor, restore method worked), but, the PRL in and of itself, can (should...) be able to go to any in carrier device. Like, I could take this same PRL file and (some how) shove it into my Son's old Rumor 1 (I'm holding out for the Summer to see what Sprint does - No Pre3? No Sprint for Me!).

*BUT*, and this is just a hunch, the PRL file that was posted earlier by whomever I suspect is a Verizon PRL, and not a Sprint one. I have no data or evidence to prove that, just a hunch after what we saw when we tried using it.

M.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I was playing around with everything that has been going on in this thread, last week.

I copied the /var/lib/software from my wifes pixi, to my pre, and ran the prl update and update network settings.

Anyway, running the update network settings, changed the nai and phone number on my pre to the same as on the wifes pixi! I had to redoctor (went to 1.4.5 first to get the correct files) to correct the problem.

So, I guess that file with the meid and hash code are there for a reason!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I know this might not help many, but FWIW I just want to confirm that:

WebOS 2.1.0 on Sprint PrePlus
    saving Modemfiles tar from 1.4.5
    restoring Modemfiles tar to 2.1.0
    installing "funny" leaked 2.0.1 provisioner (ipkg install /media/internal/filename -force-depends)
    running this command in novaterm: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdatePRL":true}'

Resetting the phone,
    Open Phone preferences, enabled the Update PRL button and it worked!
    Went from 60664 to 60677
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post

installing "funny" leaked 2.0.1 provisioner (ipkg install /media/internal/filename -force-depends)
    running this command in novaterm: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"showUpdatePRL":true}'

Resetting the phone,
    Went from 60664 to 60677
    This also works for the update network settings. Been playing with this for a while, the files from 1.4.5 were the missing piece of the puzzle.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post

Resetting the phone,
    Went from 60664 to 60677

What firmware verison are you running? I think I was pointed to a "funny" "funny version" of 2.0.1 because the firmware that came with that was 1.6 (webOS 1.4.5 had firmware 1.5 and 2.1 that Ed/Rod builds has 1.7).

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    Anyway, running the update network settings, changed the nai and phone number on my pre to the same as on the wifes pixi! I had to redoctor (went to 1.4.5 first to get the correct files) to correct the problem.
    As much as I hate to say it, that's some seriously funny stuff! I haven't a clue what you look like, but, I can only imagine the look on your face when you saw that!

M.
    Soooo...do we have a winner? I'm so confused. If this is actually working now, can someone post *instructions for dummies*, and what files are needed exactly?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    Soooo...do we have a winner? I'm so confused. If this is actually working now, can someone post *instructions for dummies*, and what files are needed exactly?

Yes, and no.

• The PRL is able to be updated with the non-released version of webOS. This is far from optimal because it's kind of illegal...
    • The save and restore method for the 1.4.5 --> 2.1 move will get you whatever PRL you had on 1.4.5
    • The PRL is update-able with the meta-doctor's CDMA structure (and your restore), *BUT* it requires that you "acquire" the PRL file itself from somewhere. Less than optimal because not everyone has 1.4.5 available to them anymore.

There's no known way, with a VIRGIN meta-doctor install, to update the PRL without some trickery/hackery. I'm trying to learn everything I can about HOW the phone asks for a PRL, and where that actually comes from. There may be a solution. I certainly couldn't write an app for it though, I'm not a programmer. Shell Script, sure, but not a full-blown app I don't think.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes, and no.

• The PRL is able to be updated with the non-released version of webOS. This is far from optimal because it's kind of illegal...
    • The save and restore method for the 1.4.5 --> 2.1 move will get you whatever PRL you had on 1.4.5
    • The PRL is update-able with the meta-doctor's CDMA structure (and your restore), *BUT* it requires that you "acquire" the PRL file itself from somewhere. Less than optimal because not everyone has 1.4.5 available to them anymore.

There's no known way, with a VIRGIN meta-doctor install, to update the PRL without some trickery/hackery. I'm trying to learn everything I can about HOW the phone asks for a PRL, and where that actually comes from. There may be a solution. I certainly couldn't write an app for it though, I'm not a programmer. Shell Script, sure, but not a full-blown app I don't think.

M.
    I guess I'll just hold off then....not looking to redoctor if I can help it, and I don't seem to have any connectivity issues outside of Sprint's "problems" with a tower in my area - supposedly. I also read somewhere that the PRL only really affects like 1% of the population, and only in certain areas...?
    I guess I'll just hold off then....not looking to redoctor if I can help it, and I don't seem to have any connectivity issues outside of Sprint's "problems" with a tower in my area - supposedly. I also read somewhere that the PRL only really affects like 1% of the population, and only in certain areas...?

Maybe, but if you're in that "certain area" or go anywhere beside the bathroom or the Super Market with your phone, then it's always a good idea to keep up-to-date with the PRL. That's why it's kind of a big deal to people.

I don't know why you'd have to re-doctor, unless you hadn't saved your /var/lib/software from 1.4.5, of course.

I did add that note in the Wiki for Sprint users to read the PRL notes *BEFORE* running the Doctor, but I think it was "too little - too late" as I didn't think to do it until yesterday...

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Maybe, but if you're in that "certain area" or go anywhere beside the bathroom or the Super Market with your phone, then it's always a good idea to keep up-to-date with the PRL. That's why it's kind of a big deal to people.

I don't know why you'd have to re-doctor, unless you hadn't saved your /var/lib/software from 1.4.5, of course.

I did add that note in the Wiki for Sprint users to read the PRL notes *BEFORE* running the Doctor, but I think it was "too little - too late" as I didn't think to do it until yesterday...

M.
    Hmmm...I didn't save mine obviously...however..my wife does have 1.4.5 on her pixi...which I can pull files from...but then I'm back to needing to know what instructions to follow. Alot has gone on in this thread...and the steps that seemed to work aren't complete...they refer to other steps from previously in the thread I assume...and I don't wanna screw this up.

For example..what's a tarball?
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I would also like to know as my wife also has a pixi.

Hmmm...I didn't save mine obviously...however..my wife does have 1.4.5 on her pixi...which I can pull files from...but then I'm back to needing to know what instructions to follow. Alot has gone on in this thread...and the steps that seemed to work aren't complete...they refer to other steps from previously in the thread I assume...and I don't wanna screw this up.

For example..what's a tarball?
    You're not supposed to post PRLs, I got a warning for posting a link to some links to some PRLs and telling people they could install it with a certain program that is apparently illegal to have. How the "PRL Hack?" thread continues to exist is mystifying. Fortunately, we're all smart people here.

I use the PRL linked to in the PRL Hack thread with this method, works fine.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I wouldn't hate anyone if they wanted to hypothetically pm me a link to 60677...I'm searching the web and can't find anything...
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast