Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    When the manual steps are posted, they won't be dependent on phone, right? What I mean is, you can easily get a PRL from a Pixi and then move it to your Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    FWIW, I upgraded to 2.1 tonight, and after that completed successfully, was able to "push" the contents of /var/lib/software from 1.4.5 back into place. I'm on the current PRL again, though we'll have to see about getting updates going forward - don't have another webOS phone handy...
    "pushed (contents) back into place"
    With both hands? Two feet on the ground? The mystery of this intrigues me. What is this and why does this need to be done, please explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    With both hands? Two feet on the ground? The mystery of this intrigues me. What is this and why does this need to be done, please explain?

Since I can't tell if you're just trying to be funny or not, but have you read this thread at all? It's not terribly long.

M.
    Humor may be a little dry today, sorry...
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Personally, I used novaterm to connect directly to the Pre. I'm well versed in *nix shell, so I took a tarball I'd previously made of /var/lib/software and untar'd it back into place. The full procedure (for me) was roughly as follows:

Before doctoring to 2.1.0:

Code:
    [dario@guarneri ~]$ novaterm
    root@LandoPre:/# tar -czvf /media/internal/prl.tar.gz /var/lib/software
    root@LandoPre:/# exit
    Doctor to 2.1.0. After all is said and done:

Code:
    [dario@guarneri ~]$ novaterm
    root@LandoPre:/# rootfs_open -t
    root@LandoPre:/# tar -zxvf /media/internal/prl.tar.gz
    root@LandoPre:/# exit
    Then reboot the phone to re-"close" (make read-only) your root filesystem.

It's probably not the easiest nor best way, especially if you're not *nix-savvy....
    Last edited by kuoirad; 03/11/2011 at 10:07 AM.
    can you not replace the file using internalz and restart? do you have to "push" it
    You know that even sprint admits that an out of date PRL list will affect less than 1% of all users. An update may include as little as one roaming agreement update for some remote area of the country. It's definitely not going to enhance your service in most cases.
    Palm IIIe -> Palm m100 -> Palm 700p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre ->HTC Evo
    What exactly does update network do since that's missing too? I know prl...but do they work hand in hand?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    thats a good question. no one has mentioned anything about the update network.
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    thats a good question. no one has mentioned anything about the update network.
    I haven't ever had a clue what it does, I just know it doesn't work now. I'm starting to think this is all a bit more important than originally thought. I've had a TERRIBLE signal the past few days, but my GF's 1.4.5 Pre is totally fine.

M.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    if anyone can post a link to the newest PRL file that'd be awesome cause I dont wanna go back to 1.4.5 since I got flash, sprint nav, and im patched up.
    Tried copying just the prefroamlist file... didn't work. Looks like the other files stored in /var/lib/software are necessary. Although, I didn't save my tar.gz properly (saved it as a tar.bz2 instead). The tar command wouldn't work (not in gzip format), so extracted it with winrar, and then I copied each file to the appropriate folder in var/lib/software. Still no luck (still on 60664). Looks like I might be in need of a PRL.tar.gz from 1.4.5 as well...

Also, compared the prefroamlist file I got from 1.4.5 to the 60676.PRL file I found at xda-developers and they are indeed identical. Hopefully in the future we can just get the PRL file, rename it to prefroamlist and copy it over the exiting file in /var/lib/software/ModemFiles/
    Just used
    bzcat file.tar.bz2 | gzip > file.tar.gz
    in cygwin to convert the file to .gz (same cygwin I used for metadoctor)

Seems to have lost the folder information though, so I had to do:

root@YourPre:/# cd /var/lib/software
    root@YourPre:/# tar -zxvf /media/internal/prl.tar.gz
    root@YourPre:/# exit

hmmm... still no luck, still showing 60664...
    Question...

For the past 5-6 months, my wife and I(Pre and Pixi on Sprint) have had TERRIBLE signals. The typical phone call out takes 10-30 seconds minimum to connect...etc.

Well, I upgraded to 2.1 about 2 weeks ago...and ever since, my signal has been fabulous!

I really don't want to upgrade her phone, merely because of RAM...and the last thing I need is her complaining about lag, or even worse, burning up with a faster kernel(if one is even available for the pixi..)

So my question is, is it possible to manually update a PRL on 1.4.5, so that I can take the one I'm on and give it to her?
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    my question is, is it possible to manually update a PRL on 1.4.5, so that I can take the one I'm on and give it to her?

Umm... Phone --> Preferences down at the bottom is "Update PRL". You should've been hitting that at least once a month...

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Umm... Phone --> Preferences down at the bottom is "Update PRL". You should've been hitting that at least once a month...

M.
    lol..yeah I did that...and the networks settings too...but it's the same...and actually she has it worse, cuz she has VM's and texts pop up all the time where she never got an actual call...and texts from 2 hours prior. Really strange. I would think that if anything, she would have a newer PRL than I do since I can't update mine the normal way...
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    #######
    # EDIT:

Bad information. We have to continue the save/restore method for now...
    #######

Updated Instructions:

I have a more exact way to update the PRL. It still involves actually HAVING the PRL file, but, this is the right way to do it.

I've been playing with different firmware versions trying to get the Update PRL button to work, and have gotten no where (except a small pile of firmware versions that don't even connect to the data network. I think the key is a PRPRPRI file that matches the 1.7 firmware that the meta-doctor gives us. I don't know where to get that yet.).

Anyway, the proper way to update a PRL when you already have the file:

1. tar -cf prl_update.tar prlfile.prl
    2. copy that file to your phone (/media/internal is fine)
    3. novacom into your phone
    4. type: PmModemUpdater < /media/internal/prl_update.tar

That's it! It'll take care of it from there. It'll turn off powerd, disconnect your modem, update the PRL, and restart everything all on its own. Good stuff!

For Windows folks, you can get a Windows compiled binary of tar here: Tar for Windows. The command line syntax should be the same.

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 03/16/2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typos...
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Updated Instructions:

I have a more exact way to update the PRL. It still involves actually HAVING the PRL file, but, this is the right way to do it.

I've been playing with different firmware versions trying to get the Update PRL button to work, and have gotten no where (except a small pile of firmware versions that don't even connect to the data network. I think the key is a PRPRPRI file that matches the 1.7 firmware that the meta-doctor gives us. I don't know where to get that yet.).

That's it! It'll take care of it from there. It'll turn off powerd, disconnect your modem, update the PRL, and restart everything all on its own. Good stuff!

For Windows folks, you can get a Windows compiled binary of tar here: Tar for Windows. The command line syntax should be the same.

M.
    so I take it modem updater is independent of the provisioner...
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    so I take it modem updater is independent of the provisioner...

Oooo... Ummm... Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. I did resort to the "funny version" of the provisioner. Can someone that is on a 100% clean meta-doctor test this?

M.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Updated Instructions:

M.
    Tried this and it failed...
    Code:
    Error: Error allocating required memory for internal operations
    edit: seem to be stuck in digital roaming.... guess I'm going to doctor back to 1.4.5 and update the PRL that way.
    Last edited by belvedere; 03/16/2011 at 02:57 PM.
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast