Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I assume you read it right?

All you need to do is copy the files from one to the other. Its all explained there.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by xBRIMSTON3x View Post
    This?

http://forums.precentral.net/2898522-post2500.html

I guess I don't understand...that post looks like results..but not instructions...I mean...they don't look like commands..?
    It isn't laid out step by step like the Wiki, but what it says is:

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I was digging through my Pre- while still on 1.4.5 and found:

/var/lib/software/ModemFiles

In here I found my PRL file and some other modem related files/dirs.
    Probably used Internalz to find this location.

I saved them before I wiped my phone for webOS 2.1 and just copied the whole /var/lib/software/* kit-and-kaboodle into my webOS 2.1 install.
    I'm not sure if this is more complex than moving the files to your PC either by moving to an area on the USB you have access to (media/internal) or ? I'm also not sure you couldn't move this post 2.1 install. My best guess is that you should contact the original poster of that method and ask for more info or a new thread to cover this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I'm not sure if this is more complex than moving the files to your PC either by moving to an area on the USB you have access to (media/internal) or ?
    I suppose verifying that the files are the *same*, it would be easy enough to copy the whole directory via the webosquickinstall linux command line, or internalz...
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    Correct, all you need to do is copy the /var/lib/software/* (* - everything in the folder including sub-directories) to the same path on your 2.1.0 Pre.

You can use any software, internalz, putty, wosqi 3 or less.

Just a simple cp -r command would do the job.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Maybe this info should migrate over to the WIKI on upgrading to 2.1? Or is this too touchy?
    Hey!

Per my post at:

You need to understand a few things about Linux, but nothing major.

WHILE STILL RUNNING 1.4.5:

1. Plug your Pre into your computer via USB cable.
    2. Open a shell on your Pre: novacom -t open tty://
    3. cd /var/lib/software
    4. tar -cjvf /media/internal/cdma_modem_stuff_backup.tar.bz2 *
    5. Copy it off to your computer, if you want.
    6. Meta-Doctor your Pre.
    7. After Doctor, do steps 1 through 3 again.
    8. tar -xvf /media/internal/cdma_modem_stuff_backup.tar.bz2
    9. REBOOT. Right now. Like NOW, now. This happens in the film NOW.

This does not enable any updating (so far). All this has done for me is allow my Pre to use a PRL newer than year or so old (as shown in the screen shots in the referenced post).

Again, you HAVE to do this before you update your phone. 90% of these files DO NOT EXIST in 2.1.

For reference/clarity: /media/internal is the "Flash Drive" part that you access normally from your computer (like the E:\ drive or whatever Windows feels like doing that day).

I have not had anything bad happen. It is unknow if you need that entire directory or just the "prefroamlist" file in the ModemFiles directory. I was going to run that test when I Meta-Doctor my GF's Pre.

I hope this helps some!

M.
    Hey!

Per my post at:

You need to understand a few things about Linux, but nothing major.

WHILE STILL RUNNING 1.4.5:

1. Plug your Pre into your computer via USB cable.
    2. Open a shell on your Pre: novacom -t open tty://
    3. cd /var/lib/software
    4. tar -cjvf /media/internal/cdma_modem_stuff_backup.tar.bz2 *
    5. Copy it off to your computer, if you want.
    6. Meta-Doctor your Pre.
    7. After Doctor, do steps 1 through 3 again.
    8. tar -xvf /media/internal/cdma_modem_stuff_backup.tar.bz2
    9. REBOOT. Right now. Like NOW, now. This happens in the film NOW.

This does not enable any updating (so far). All this has done for me is allow my Pre to use a PRL newer than year or so old (as shown in the screen shots in the referenced post).

Again, you HAVE to do this before you update your phone. 90% of these files DO NOT EXIST in 2.1.

For reference/clarity: /media/internal is the "Flash Drive" part that you access normally from your computer (like the E:\ drive or whatever Windows feels like doing that day).

I have not had anything bad happen. It is unknow if you need that entire directory or just the "prefroamlist" file in the ModemFiles directory. I was going to run that test when I Meta-Doctor my GF's Pre.

I hope this helps some!

M.
    Now THAT's instructions..

Soooo...I upgraded before doing this...but I would assume I can get the files from my wife's pixi..?

..and also..do you see any reason why copying them over via command line wouldn't work? (or internalz) Just curious..
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    has anyone tried just asking echat or ecare to flag your account for a prl update? I've not tried with the pre but that was what I had to do with a old WM phone that wasn't able to get prl updates.
    Now THAT's instructions..

Soooo...I upgraded before doing this...but I would assume I can get the files from my wife's pixi..?

..and also..do you see any reason why copying them over via command line wouldn't work? (or internalz) Just curious..

It actually sounds like you'd make a good test case for saving/copying ONLY the prefroamlist file. I don't know if there's anything in there specific to the Pre and its modem or not. *JUST* that file to that exact location ( /var/lib/software/ModemFiles ) shouldn't hurt anything if it doesn't work. It's certainly worth a shot!

As far as not using Internalz - I don't have a whole lot of experience with it and am unsure if you can copy entire directories and such. If it can do that, then by all means, have it it.

M.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
    has anyone tried just asking echat or ecare to flag your account for a prl update? I've not tried with the pre but that was what I had to do with a old WM phone that wasn't able to get prl updates.
    Considering the provisioner program that's needed for doing PRL updates via the button in the Phone prefs doesn't work with 2.1, I don't think asking Sprint to push an update is going to work...
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    It actually sounds like you'd make a good test case for saving/copying ONLY the prefroamlist file. I don't know if there's anything in there specific to the Pre and its modem or not. *JUST* that file to that exact location ( /var/lib/software/ModemFiles ) shouldn't hurt anything if it doesn't work. It's certainly worth a shot!
    I may be one of the testers of the "prefroamlist only" option soon - I'm basically waiting for UK to be considered stable for 2.1.

Out of curiosity - would you (or someone?) be able to post a directory listing of /var/lib/software from stock 2.1? I'm curious what all's changed between 1.4.5 and 2.1.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    I may be one of the testers of the "prefroamlist only" option soon - I'm basically waiting for UK to be considered stable for 2.1.

Out of curiosity - would you (or someone?) be able to post a directory listing of /var/lib/software from stock 2.1? I'm curious what all's changed between 1.4.5 and 2.1.
    The folders are empty, but they go like this:

/var/lib/software/ModemFiles/*empty*
    /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/*empty*
    /var/lib/software/tmp/*empty*

..and there's a system_settings.info file in the software folder as well.

I'm going to try to pull the directories from my wife's phone as soon as I can pry facebook out of her hands..lol
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    The folders are empty, but they go like this:

/var/lib/software/ModemFiles/*empty*
    /var/lib/software/SessionFiles/*empty*
    /var/lib/software/tmp/*empty*

..and there's a system_settings.info file in the software folder as well.

I'm going to try to pull the directories from my wife's phone as soon as I can pry facebook out of her hands..lol
    Huh. So where's the PRL reside in 2.1 then? I mean, if it's basically an empty folder I wouldn't worry as much about just wholesale copying in the 1.4.5 contents. But it does make me wonder...

As far as not using Internalz - I don't have a whole lot of experience with it and am unsure if you can copy entire directories and such. If it can do that, then by all means, have it it.

M.
    I'm trying this out right now, just coping the prefroamlist file over and seeing if that updates my PRL. Also, just an FYI ( I'm not 100% sure ) but if you can find the 60676 PRL file (google it), I'm pretty sure it's very similar/the exact same as the prefroamlist file in the <1.4.5 updated Pre's.

My Pre is rebooting atm, we'll see if it's updated.

Edit:

Using just the prefroamlist file didn't work. I'll move the others over to see if that works.
    Sprint Love
    if we are able to add files from 1.4.5 and then use the script rod had to get the prl update button back maybe with the two we can get them running.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    if we are able to add files from 1.4.5 and then use the script rod had to get the prl update button back maybe with the two we can get them running.

Last I saw, the provisioner binary doesn't work in 2.x.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuoirad View Post
    Last I saw, the provisioner binary doesn't work in 2.x.

You're right, it doesn't, but where this script? I'd liek to have that button back to run a few tests. Or was that part of the Meta-Doctor? I'd rather not re-doctor my Pre.

M.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    You're right, it doesn't, but where this script? I'd liek to have that button back to run a few tests. Or was that part of the Meta-Doctor? I'd rather not re-doctor my Pre.
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...RL#post2892845
    Last edited by kuoirad; 03/08/2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Transferred all the files this time to my Pre, lets see if it worked.

Edit:

This didn't work for me. Hrm... I wonder what the problem is.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    Transferred all the files this time to my Pre, lets see if it worked.

Edit:

This didn't work for me. Hrm... I wonder what the problem is.
    I can't help but wonder why those folders on my 2.1 are empty? The files that we are trying to copy over from 2.0.1....Where there heck are they on 2.1? I assume your folders are empty as well prior to copying them over? Maybe I'm just daft when it comes to the files for PRL...but shouldn't they be in /var/lib/software/ if that's where we're needing to copy files from?
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast