Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCell View Post
    The buttons only work if you use the method to get the leaked 2.0.1 provisioner install method, then do the button commands I believe.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

That is correct. The hack of backing up your old files and using PmModemUpdater will NOT make those buttons work. It's only a 100% legal way for us to update or PRL on webOS2.1. Nothing more.

-- Sent from my MS Natural Keyboard via Firefox on Gentoo in an attempt to annoy the hell out of people enough to turn off the damn tag lines in that app.
    When I actually look inside the prl.tar.gz file I ported over to 2.1 from 1.4.5, it has two empty folders called "ModemFiles" and "SessionFiles". Could this be the reason for my "Error 1012" I have been experiencing? My PRL says 60664 and Sprint says I'm up to date but my wife's Optimus says 60677. Anybody know what's going on here?
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    Anybody know what's going on here?

Yes, two things:

• (surprise surprise) Sprint Customer Service doesn't know what they are talking about.
    • You did something wrong when creating the backup tarball.

If it's possible to get the PRL file off your wife's phone, I wouldn't know where to start. I've only used Android a few times (and really didn't like it - almost as much as I don't like iOS).

You should still be able to search Google and find the PRL file and manually update it with PmModemUpdater.

M.
    When I actually look inside the prl.tar.gz file I ported over to 2.1 from 1.4.5, it has two empty folders called "ModemFiles" and "SessionFiles". Could this be the reason for my "Error 1012" I have been experiencing? My PRL says 60664 and Sprint says I'm up to date but my wife's Optimus says 60677. Anybody know what's going on here?
    I was not able to port the files over first before the 2.1.0 doctor. I also have three directories under the 'software' directory on 2.1.0.

SessionFiles (only one file inside called interface that contains an IP address 120.254.....)
    tmp (empty)
    ModemFiles (empty)

also there is a file called system_settings.info that contains country info.

How does this compare with someones file that has been able to pull the information from their 1.4.5 system?

EDIT: I realized that I still had an unactivated Pixi from when I switched my daughter to my old classic Pre. I copied all the files from the software directory via FileZilla to my PC then over to my Pre Plus.

Used both PRL and Network buttons and no errors occurred. Phone seems to be working fine. I'll post back if there are any issues.
    Last edited by craftsman; 04/08/2011 at 10:37 AM.
    Commodore Pet, Commodore 64&128, Amiga 4000, PC-7, Ubuntu, Treo 650. Treo 755p,Sprint Palm Pre Plus 2.2.4,2 Sprint Pre2 2.2.4, TouchPad 32gig.
    Ok, I need help: I am attempting to update the PRL... I dont know what I am doing wrong! (Please be gentle, ive been out of the technology game for a while)
    Sprint Pre (-) updated to 2.1.0 . All work dont through CMD on Windows 7 64bit.

I went through the steps outlined on the 2.0 Upgrade Wiki in order to save the PRL prior to my upgrade... Then upgraded to 2.1.0 and apparently the PRL didnt save... Luckily, my wife has a Pixi. SO, I followed the instructions (update PRL to 60677, no reboot, etc) to create and to pull her file (prl.tar.gz) from her internal file and place it onto my computer, where it was eventually transferred to my Pre.

Device mode 'on', Now, I have prl.tar.gz on my Pre's internal file. I have been following these steps:

novacom -t open tty://
    cd /
    mount -o remount,rw /
    tar -zxvf /media/internal/prl.tar.gz
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot

Go to Device Info and it shows PRL 60664...

Ive tried it with 'novaterm' cmd, and Cygwin...

What am i doing wrong?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Yes, two things:

• (surprise surprise) Sprint Customer Service doesn't know what they are talking about.
    • You did something wrong when creating the backup tarball.

If it's possible to get the PRL file off your wife's phone, I wouldn't know where to start. I've only used Android a few times (and really didn't like it - almost as much as I don't like iOS).

You should still be able to search Google and find the PRL file and manually update it with PmModemUpdater.

M.
    OK got it. Now when I dial ##775# nothing happens. How do I plug this in to PmModemUpdater?
    Tried "PmModemUpdater < /media/internal/60677.prl -m" in novaterm. Spit out some lines of code, nothing updated. Help? I've got the files, just need some advice on where to plug them in!!! How do I "manually update" with these files? I've done some webOS Internals wiki reading that led me to these instructions: http://en.m.webos-internals.org/wiki...edirected=true
    Is this what I need to do? Does anyone have a success story or advice using this method?
    Last edited by matteebee13; 04/09/2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Edit: I think that the reason that he got it to work was having the file from his girlfriend Pre.
    If it 's just the raw PRL file "prefroamlist", getting that from any Sprint phone will work. Do NOT try using a Verizon PRL. Your phone will be stuck in roam and that's it.

You need to tar it first. "tar -f prlupdate.tar Sprint_60677.prl" then feed the resulting tar file to PmModemUpdater and it'll work.

M.
    OK got it. Now when I dial ##775# nothing happens.
    I don't think that does anything anymore; honestly I don't know what it ever did - never tried it. Remember, this webOS 2.1 update is based on a German Doctor. Sprint has nothing to do with that obviously. That may have been some Sprint thing added to the 1.4.5 Doctor. I'll get my GF to try that on her Pre since it's still running 1.4.5 right now (until one or two more things get ironed out - She's just a User... ).

Update PRL? Check
    Disable Voice Dial so it's not constantly crashing mediaserver? Check
    Urine poor memory management? Working on it.

M.
    wait what??? you diabled voice dial so it doesnt crash what?
    Quote Originally Posted by graffix31 View Post
    wait what??? you diabled voice dial so it doesnt crash what?

You can remove the main service and all its parts, there's a few:

Quote Originally Posted by novaterm
    ipkg list_installed | grep voice
    or if you're reluctant to totally remove it from your phone, you can stop the service from starting:

Quote Originally Posted by novaterm
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemservice/setPreferences '{"enableVoiceCommand":false}'
    Which isn't *as* good since gstreamer and/or audiod will still be loading the codecs, but, at least the crappy VoiceDial service won't start so it should NOT be popping up anymore.

I've just removed the thing, but found it was still trying to start at boot time. Saga here:

http://forums.precentral.net/2930467-post77.html

M.
    Last edited by Xanadu73; 04/12/2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    So where are we at? I think this is the complete HOW TO (short version for debugging):

On 1.4.5:

1. cd /var/lib/software
    2. tar -cjvf /media/internal/modem_soft_save.tar.bz2 *

<<DOCTOR>>

On 2.1:

1. cd /var/lib/software
    2. tar -xvf /media/internal/modem_soft_save.tar.bz2
    3. reboot

<<GET PRL FILE>>

1. rename (PRL FILE) to Sprint_60677.prl
    2. tar -cf prl_update.tar Sprint_60677.prl
    3. PmModemUpdater < /path/to/prl_update.tar

Is this all correct?

M.

On 1.4.5:
    cd /var/lib/software
    tar -cjvf /media/internal/modem_soft_save.tar.bz2 *

<<DOCTOR>>

On 2.1:
    cd /var/lib/software
    tar -xvf /media/internal/modem_soft_save.tar.bz2
    reboot

<<GET PRL FILE>>

rename (PRL FILE) to Sprint_60677.prl

When I try typing this next line in novaterm I get the below response

tar -cf prl_update.tar Sprint_60677.prl

root@ - Palm Pre:/# tar -cf prl_update.tar Sprint_60677.prl
    tar: prl_update.tar: Cannot open: Read-only file system
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

What am I doing wrong here?
    When I try typing this next line in novaterm I get the below response

tar -cf prl_update.tar Sprint_60677.prl

tar: prl_update.tar: Cannot open: Read-only file system
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

What am I doing wrong here?

Point made. I wrote that as I was going along on my Linux machine where of course it's writable in /home . I also kind of assumed the person would be doing that somewhere in /media/internal/ (which, again, is of course writable) because they would have copied the PRL file over via Flash Drive Mode.

You can always make / writable:

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Do what you need to do then make it read-only again:

Code:
    mount -oremount,ro /

M.
    After entering "mount remount,rw /" then attempting again I again get an error.

root@ - Palm Pre:/# mount remount,rw /
    tar: Sprint_60677.prl: Cannot sts: No such file or directory
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous erros

And if I attempt to enternal media/internal I get:

root@ - Palm Pre:/# /media/internal/
    /bin/sh: /media/internal/: Permission denied

You still around?
    If you have the prl file in your /media/internal directory, you have to change directories to that directory first before running the tar command (or just edit it to point to the prl).

To cd into that directory, you write:

cd /media/internal

not just: /media/internal
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    root@ - Palm Pre:/# mount remount,rw /

You forgot the "-o"

mount -o remount,rw /

and what malpha said too.

M.
    Whoo-hoo!!! 60677!!! I just did a jig around the living room. BIG THANKS to Xanadu. I couldn't have done it without all your help specifically. I'll try and dummy it down and post my saga here to try and pay it forward. Precentral is simply awesome!
    Hi group

I would like to know if anyone from Canada was able to update Prl mine is at 31 408 and I do not see update button.

tks
    Hey!

I updated my PRL just now (I re-doctored today - long story...). I'm using the "funny" provisioner. I'm now getting PRL 1115! I see some posts in Android forums saying the same thing. I have firmware 1.7.

I pretty much used the steps we all worked towards on the previous pages (with the exception of using the leaked provisioner, of course...).

Can someone please confirm/deny? I'm in eastern PA is that matters.

M.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    I have a Sprint Pre- running 1.4.5, and I just updated mine upon reading your post. I am also left with PRL 01115, and I had been on 60677 or something like that. I wonder if Sprint has rolled over to some newer numbering system?

Edit: I googled this, and many folks are saying this happened to them, and other says they went to 60678. It appears to be unrelated to geographic location.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    K, i'm having some issues with my phone app (prl and missing options like reset voice mail count) Anyhow, IF one had the "funny" sprint tarball, could one just replace the wr.tar with sprint.tar in the doctor, update a file in the root of the doctor, and dr to a 2.x sprint device with prl and nav working?

I think it said 'custom="wr.tar"' just change to 'custom="sprint.tar"'?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums