1.    #1  
    I have an original Palm Pre on the Sprint Network and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and update to the 2.1 through the Metadoctor or should I wait a little longer for an easier update method. This is my only phone and I don't want to brick it. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
    bricking risk is practically non-existant with webos. So no concern there.

The upgrade path has already gotten a lot easier. I think it will continue to improve if you give it another week.

Also, waiting another week will ensure that things like patches, overclock kernels, and 2.x apps are available. If those things matter to you, you should wait. That said, its a good idea to start getting familiar with how to doctor with the normal webos doctor, and also how to use meta-doctor. Both of those things are needed to get 2.1
  3.    #3  
    Thanks! I used the Doctor before having to reset my phone several times but reading up on the metadoctor seems a little tricky for me. I'll wait a week and see what happens and then I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by safrits View Post
    Thanks! I used the Doctor before having to reset my phone several times but reading up on the metadoctor seems a little tricky for me. I'll wait a week and see what happens and then I'll give it a shot.
    You don't have to do anything with the Meta-Doctor except set-up a Linux environment and execute the git command line to get it onto your PC. Beyond that it is basically just running the appropriate script, provided that you have the prerequisite environment. SDK, etc. Just follow the wiki instructions and you will be okay.

WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    I don't know if it is breaking the rule of Pre-central.
    I have upgraded to 2.1 through directly downloading a ready-made webos 2.1 doctor from a chinese website.

It eliminates all the hustles since meta-doctoring is too complicated to me.

I have also overclocked my pre through F105.
    Could using existing old profile , no problem.

The site says the webos 2.1 is good for CDMA, GSM...., mine is Bell cdma, no problem after upgraded
    Make sure that when you upgrade that you turn off backups. I ended up flashing to 2.1, reading something about keeping the backups turned on causing me problems, and having to flash back to 1.4.5 and go through the whole process just to turn backups off. It'll save you time if you do it before you start. :P

Also, I haven't had any major problems other than the phone app lag, but I am running a Sprint Pre Plus that I converted myself, so I can't really estimate your lag. Other that to say I tried loading it on my older beat up Pre before I tried my Pre Plus and it seemed super slow at the first use app.
    I have a Sprint Pre also. I'm waiting. I need the Navigation and it seems that app still has bugs. No need to rush. Get all the bugs worked out.
    To GuyfromNam

I login my original Pre Profile and it just retrieved back my old data.
    The last time I upgraded using their webos2.0 doctor had not successfully login my old profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    To GuyfromNam

I login my original Pre Profile and it just retrieved back my old data.
    The last time I upgraded using their webos2.0 doctor had not successfully login my old profile.
    And can I ask where did you get the Doctor from? And do you know if its there for GSM too?

I only ask because I already prepared my MD but CANīt do it because my PC (Windows or Linux) its not recognizing my PRE, not even on Recovery mode.

I plug it on any other XP pc and just charge, doesnīt give me the USB option!

Any help!?
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    After the upgrade to 2.1 can we turn the backup back on?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawtony View Post
    I don't know if it is breaking the rule of Pre-central.

You would be if you pubished the link. ( Not legal to distribute Doctors )
    Quote Originally Posted by bolija View Post
    And can I ask where did you get the Doctor from? And do you know if its there for GSM too?

I only ask because I already prepared my MD but CANīt do it because my PC (Windows or Linux) its not recognizing my PRE, not even on Recovery mode.

I plug it on any other XP pc and just charge, doesnīt give me the USB option!

Any help!?
    Have you tried installing novacom again? When you run a webOS Doctor it seems to install it, so try downloading a doctor and see if it installs it for you. It installs it before you have to plug in your phone.
    Be careful where this thread is going...
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    I have a sprint pre- and I upgraded this weekend. After having trouble getting the metadoctor from virtualbox to my pc, I ended up doing the wu...something...dual-booting with ubuntu (inside windows?) and it went flawlessly. Added flash and the av8b kernel, and everything run great so far...24 hrs later anyway. I turned off backup, and its on now with no trouble. I'm keeping an eye on the temp and all through Govnah, but nothing bad so far. Even flash is running good..I say do it...you can always go back, even if it means getting a new profile.
    i really want to upgrade, but i use sprint nav once a week. its really important to me!
    I updated my Bell Pre- with the all made doctor available on some dark web site.
    I've been using it for about half an hour, on stock kernel the laucher seemed more smooth than on 1.4.5.
    I've installed F105 and Govnah and chosed 800/500 screenstate like I used on 1.4.5 so far it works great.

I've had some problems thought, when It first booted I didnt had any data connection, a reboot fixed the problem. I can't seem to receive/send sms neither and I will try to fix that before exploring the wonderful world of the patches!
    Anyone had the same problem and know a quick fix? thanks!