Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Many thanks to the WebOS internals team for their work in finding a way to "meta-doctor" the legacy pre and pre+ phones to WebOS 2.x.

    Unfortunately, I tried the process and was in waaaaay over my head. (Getting a C+ in a basic class on C++ should have been my first clue) I know that there are legal issues which specifically prohibit the distribution of an already fixed version for use on legacy devices (frankened? meta-doctored? not sure what the right terminology is).

    Does anyone know if there are similar prohibitions to someone else performing this task on your behalf?

    I can't speak for the whole community, but if that is permissible to HP, I would be willing to pay/donate to have someone perform this so that I can onto my upgrade until the summer (seems like a waste to use it now on a pre2).

    If anyone knows the answer to the legal question that would be a step in the right direction.
  2. #2  
    honestly, I didn't know anything about it either. Lol ubuntu? Virtual box? It was like a different language to me. But when you really take a look at the webos internals Wiki page, they made it extremely easy to do. All you really have to do is type in a couple command lines and it does everything by itself. But to answer your question, I think someone on webos roundup said that they would be willing to do this process for people but with some $$ involved.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Many thanks to the WebOS internals team for their work in finding a way to "meta-doctor" the legacy pre and pre+ phones to WebOS 2.x.

    Unfortunately, I tried the process and was in waaaaay over my head. (Getting a C+ in a basic class on C++ should have been my first clue) I know that there are legal issues which specifically prohibit the distribution of an already fixed version for use on legacy devices (frankened? meta-doctored? not sure what the right terminology is).

    Does anyone know if there are similar prohibitions to someone else performing this task on your behalf?

    I can't speak for the whole community, but if that is permissible to HP, I would be willing to pay/donate to have someone perform this so that I can onto my upgrade until the summer (seems like a waste to use it now on a pre2).

    If anyone knows the answer to the legal question that would be a step in the right direction.

    Device Services | WebOS World

    In their coming soon section, it has this:

    Sprint Pre to Pre 2 conversion (2-ing)
    Legacy device upgrades (webOS 2.x on Pre/Pre Plus)
    Custom meta doctor assistance
    Although, I could do it for you but you're probably not located in Indiana.
    Sprint Love
  4.    #4  
    Yeah I couldn't even get to the scripts stage. I tired installing Cygwin, and I found locating and installing the packages to be difficult. Not even sure if it was successful or not and from there it got worse...

    I think that programming is not for me. Fortunately, I have a good job and am willing to pay to compensate for my inadequacies.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Yeah I couldn't even get to the scripts stage. I tired installing Cygwin, and I found locating and installing the packages to be difficult. Not even sure if it was successful or not and from there it got worse...

    I think that programming is not for me. Fortunately, I have a good job and am willing to pay to compensate for my inadequacies.
    I'm sure someone on here would be willing to do it for you or just wait for webosworld to offer the service. Although, you could also ask someone for a working cygwin configuration and then you should be good to go.
    Sprint Love
  6. #6  
    Are you using Verizon? If so I got a Verizon Preplus lightly used off ebay two weeks ago to use for 2.1 testing purposes. I will be done with it next week and can resell it to you (has box with original accessories, the original owner used it for email and texts but not apps).
  7. #7  
    Speaking of legacy devices, anyone know if the feasibility of Pixis with 2.x has been determined? Obviously it wouldn't be quite as good as with a Pre but I'm interested in knowing because of increased API access that comes with 2.x.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Speaking of legacy devices, anyone know if the feasibility of Pixis with 2.x has been determined? Obviously it wouldn't be quite as good as with a Pre but I'm interested in knowing because of increased API access that comes with 2.x.
    No one has even attempted a Pixi as far as we know and nothing has been released for it.
  9. #9  
    You could following flash drive install instructions on Ubuntu's website.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Many thanks to the WebOS internals team for their work in finding a way to "meta-doctor" the legacy pre and pre+ phones to WebOS 2.x.

    Unfortunately, I tried the process and was in waaaaay over my head. (Getting a C+ in a basic class on C++ should have been my first clue) I know that there are legal issues which specifically prohibit the distribution of an already fixed version for use on legacy devices (frankened? meta-doctored? not sure what the right terminology is).

    Does anyone know if there are similar prohibitions to someone else performing this task on your behalf?

    I can't speak for the whole community, but if that is permissible to HP, I would be willing to pay/donate to have someone perform this so that I can onto my upgrade until the summer (seems like a waste to use it now on a pre2).

    If anyone knows the answer to the legal question that would be a step in the right direction.
    I am in no way a linux user or any user for that matter (LOL), but i was able to go through this process quite easily with the help of Wubi on my flash drive and the videos posted by malpha which are linked via webos internals wiki page. I watched the youtube videos a few times and then followed the same exact pattern of steps on the linux terminal. I think you can definitely do it on your own.
    Just for reference I have a sprint pre (-). If you need any help with any specific questions you can PM me.
  11. #11  
    The problem with runnings Ubuntu in VBVBVB $is$ $that$ $you$ $need$ $a$ $hardcore$ $fast$ $computer$ $because$ $whenever$ $I$ $tried$ $it$ $would$ $freeze$ $permanently$ $and$ $I$ $would$ $have$ $to$ $end$ $VB$ $and$ $start$ $all$ $over$ $since$ $it$'$s$ $only$ $in$ $temporary$ $memory$. $I$ $actually$ $ended$ $up$ $just$ $installing$ $Ubuntu$ $10$.$10$ $because$ $its$ $10x$ $better$ $than$ $Windows$ $and$ $I$ $installed$ $Photoshop$ $CS5$ $so$ $I$'$m$ $content$ :&$gt$;
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I know for a fact Meta-Doctor under Ubuntu on Virtualbox requires nothing more than basic reading skills and the ability to do a copy&paste.
    I could it on your computer in a remote session. Would that be allowed LOL?
    I think you are all dramatically underestimating my incompetence.

Posting Permissions