Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can deal with the standard music player but after getting spoiled with the remix I didn't know if there is an option for those who updated via metadoctor. I knew there would be drawbacks but I still am really enjoying 2.1 but thought I would ask.....
  2.    #2  
    or really any other player avail?
    Check the web feeds. Remix is there!
    If you have trouble finding Remix in the Web feeds, here's the direct link: Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Honestly... GO KOTO!! Koto Player kicks the snot outta MPR in my humble honest opinion. I was never really a fan of MPR. I did use it thoroughly and yes those flylists are great.. but Koto is just miles ahead. It's got a great UI, there's many many updates / features coming, including m3u playlist support and custom background colors. Yes I know MPR already does this.. but the UI of Koto is FANTASTIC. Honestly look at all the pics of it.. if you need me to I can take a video of the app, and I have a build that's not even in the catalog yet because I was having an issue and the dev emailed me right away with a new improved version.. just type is awesome for it.. the playlist preview is better than MPR, it supports song ratings and play counts, and creates custom playlists based on these..

God I sound like I work for Koto.

But really keep in mind I'm a huge music fan and have tons and tons of playlists and songs.. and even without M3U support right now I'm constantly using Koto because it's just so much better.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

MPR and Koto do things differently. Soon there will be a trial out for Koto, so people can judge for themselves.

I use Koto because the layout of buttons is far better for me (at the bottom) and the scrubber/controls you can pop up on any screen is awesome. Plus, it is easier to read for me...I don't like the wallpaper option in Remix because even when you use a plain wallpaper ( I stole one from phnx), it puts this dark layer on it, which I don't like.

MPR does have some features Koto doesn't like a sleep feature and ability to run with no card open. And other things, but these are the two I want in koto.

Also Tibfib said album art downloading and m3u support is coming, so yay. ^_^

(Oh yes, I do like the way Koto does playlist preview, too. Swipe up and when you click, a little popup menu comes. I couldn't really remember all the shortcuts/gestures MPR uses.)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    I couldn't really remember all the shortcuts/gestures MPR uses.)
    I have a bunch of shortcuts and other hidden features which is why I include a "Hidden Features" section on the app's Help screen so people can learn about them. And there's a handy "?" on every screen so you have one touch access to your Help screen when you need a quick reminder.

Also in the app catalog version I've included a bunch of first-time popups when you enter certain screens and perform certain actions to inform new users of some of the features found on that screen. For instance, if you swipe up or down on the album art, a popup is displayed informing the user they can assign those gestures to custom actions on the Preferences screen (such as posting a song to Twitter/Facebook, faving the song, saving it to a flylist, searching for the song on YouTube, and a bunch of other actions).

Once you learn about the hidden features, it becomes second nature (ex. Twitter).

Another good example is tapping on the song/artist/album info on the Now Playing screen. It'll bring you directly to the current song's album. It makes sense (and is extremely handy) once you find out about it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    If you have trouble finding Remix in the Web feeds, here's the direct link: Palm USA | Palm webOS Applications | Mobile apps that go further.. {Jonathan}
    Thanks for the link. This web feed version is specifically for people who upgraded their Pre- or Pre+ devices to webOS 2.1 (using meta-doctor). For everyone else running webOS 2.0 or later, you should be able to find the app within the normal app catalog.

And if anyone has any questions, drop by the Music Player (Remix) thread in the Hedami discussion forum. Or hit me up on Twitter (@Hedami). Speaking of Twitter, for those of you who downloaded the app, you have an option on the app's Help screen to follow me on Twitter. It's the best way to keep up on the latest news of the app (and my other apps).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

And Dan I jus wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to insult you or deter anyone from MPR I love you and your app served me well for months before I got 2.1.0 so no hard feelings!!

Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    And Dan I jus wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to insult you or deter anyone from MPR I love you and your app served me well for months before I got 2.1.0 so no hard feelings!!

I'm not insulted at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Everyone has different tastes. That's why we all have a choice. The more the merrier.

And speaking of choice (another shameless plug)...I provide tons of customization options within the app.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I have a bunch of shortcuts and other hidden features which is why I include a "Hidden Features" section on the app's Help screen so people can learn about them. And there's a handy "?" on every screen so you have one touch access to your Help screen when you need a quick reminder.

Also in the app catalog version I've included a bunch of first-time popups when you enter certain screens and perform certain actions to inform new users of some of the features found on that screen. For instance, if you swipe up or down on the album art, a popup is displayed informing the user they can assign those gestures to custom actions on the Preferences screen (such as posting a song to Twitter/Facebook, faving the song, saving it to a flylist, searching for the song on YouTube, and a bunch of other actions).

Once you learn about the hidden features, it becomes second nature (ex. Twitter).

Another good example is tapping on the song/artist/album info on the Now Playing screen. It'll bring you directly to the current song's album. It makes sense (and is extremely handy) once you find out about it.
    I know you have your help button, but seriously Dan, my memory is terrible and when I get used to doing things in some apps one way (not even from just music apps, but other things), having to change it up on Music Remix confuses me (which is not really your fault or anything, so nbd). Especially if I was doing something new. Like at one point, I wanted to play a playlist, but I wanted to start at a particular song in the playlist. So I started to type it, but this started up the Just Type for the whole app. I couldn't figure out how to just search that playlist and I didn't see it in the Help. I still don't actually know if that's possible. For the record, neither NaNplayer or Koto do this either, the only app that actually does is the Music app. ^^;;

But yep, I did notice you said you fixed a lot of bugs (did you fix the blurry big album art issue?) and added some features in the app catalog version, so I cannot really comment about those things anymore. There's a trial out, so I was going to see about the improvements myself, but I can't access it on a FrankenPre, which is understandable. I did notice you implemented the forward gesture to get back to Now Playing, thank you, because trying to hit that button was a PITA. I'll actually probably end up buying it just to have them both and monitor the progress on both apps, as they are both set at good prices.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I know you have your help button, but seriously Dan, my memory is terrible and when I get used to doing things in some apps one way (not even from just music apps, but other things), having to change it up on Music Remix confuses me (which is not really your fault or anything, so nbd).
    When you're doing things no one else is doing, it's obviously going to be different. But I think most of the hidden gestures/shortcuts I created make sense once you learn about them. And the help resources I created (video tutorials, "hidden features" section, etc.) help people familiarize themselves with the ins and outs of the app. I knew this would be important since like you mentioned I do things a bit differently than others in some cases.

Like at one point, I wanted to play a playlist, but I wanted to start at a particular song in the playlist. So I started to type it, but this started up the Just Type for the whole app. I couldn't figure out how to just search that playlist and I didn't see it in the Help. I still don't actually know if that's possible. For the record, neither NaNplayer or Koto do this either, the only app that actually does is the Music app. ^^;;
    Yeah I wanted "universal search" to be available on every screen so people could type without having to think about switching screens or bringing up a search option. But I think having a way to quickly bring up an entry within a playlist or flylist is a good idea. This is not something I'd think of on my own because I never have too many items within a single playlist/flylist. But I'll try to think of a way to do this since there probably are people that have dozens (or hundreds) of items in a single playlist.

did you fix the blurry big album art issue?
    That's not ringing a bell. Remind me what that was again?

But I'll try to think of a way to do this since there probably are people that have dozens (or hundreds) of items in a single playlist.
    Like me I'd say 50 - 70 is my average playlist, I have some made specifically for the car that are smaller but that's about my average. My good ones have 120 - 160, and some of my auto playlists can get anywhere from 200 - 500 to even in the 1,000's based on star ratings (yes I try to rate all my music).

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Like me I'd say 50 - 70 is my average playlist, I have some made specifically for the car that are smaller but that's about my average. My good ones have 120 - 160, and some of my auto playlists can get anywhere from 200 - 500 to even in the 1,000's based on star ratings (yes I try to rate all my music).
    Wow... my average flylist is maybe 10 items (don't use regular synced playlists).

Yeah, my playlists have anywhere from 90 to 400 songs on them...it can be a little crazy.

Well, about the album art. I use decent sized album art, cause I take it off of the Amazon website and good images on Google search (and I have some holdovers from iTunes album art). So I enabled the Super Size album art in MPR (not just for that reason, but because I like that view better).

But what I noticed is that instead of displaying my high resolution album art at the appropriate (smaller) size, it seemed to be taking the smaller album art size and blowing it up to a bigger size, so it looked blurry.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Yeah, my playlists have anywhere from 90 to 400 songs on them...it can be a little crazy.

Well, about the album art. I use decent sized album art, cause I take it off of the Amazon website and good images on Google search (and I have some holdovers from iTunes album art). So I enabled the Super Size album art in MPR (not just for that reason, but because I like that view better).

But what I noticed is that instead of displaying my high resolution album art at the appropriate (smaller) size, it seemed to be taking the smaller album art size and blowing it up to a bigger size, so it looked blurry.
    I don't have that issue with high-resolution images (either embedded in the MP3 files or downloaded through the app). Any image with at least a resolution of 300x300 looks super-sharp in "super-sized album art mode".

Well, I don't have it anymore to test, but it definitely happened on 1.4.5 for me. I could compare album art across apps and it looked worse in MPR. It probably works fine in the app catalog version.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I haven't used Koto due to the fact that I have no 2.x, but MPR is really intuitive once you get used to the really hidden but useful gestures. You can't say something isn't good enough when you don't know how to use it. Look at the hidden features of MPR and learn some. Or the many videos DanPLC has made. Koto is great too from what tibfib has shown me, but you need to know the full extent of something before you judge.

I think that is also the sole reason people don't use webOS, cuz they don't know how.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    thanks for the link. I tried doing it through preware to no avail. Just bought it I love this app!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    I haven't used Koto due to the fact that I have no 2.x, but MPR is really intuitive once you get used to the really hidden but useful gestures. You can't say something isn't good enough when you don't know how to use it. Look at the hidden features of MPR and learn some. Or the many videos DanPLC has made. Koto is great too from what tibfib has shown me, but you need to know the full extent of something before you judge.

I think that is also the sole reason people don't use webOS, cuz they don't know how.
    Your last statement (about webOS) is very true. WebOS implemented some crazy new concepts, including gestures, that no one else has ever done. Someone picking up the device may not be able to figure it all out by playing with it, but once you're introduced to everything, it all makes sense. And that's what I was going for with the redesign of Music Player (Remix)...thinking of ways to simplify everyday actions within the app.

For instance, if you're browsing your current playlist (by swiping left-to-right or right-to-left) and find a song you want to listen to next, just swipe up to queue it up. If it's a song you'd rather not listen to, swipe down to move it down to the end of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    thanks for the link. I tried doing it through preware to no avail. Just bought it I love this app!
    I'd glad you're liking it. If you haven't already, take a minute to leave a review! You can bring up the app's review page by using the "Review Music Player (Remix)" option on the app's Help screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast