Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I've had a Pre since launch day on Sprint. Ever since it was able to be overclocked with Uberkernel, it's been better than any other device I've used.

Now that I've got 2.1 and the updated Uberkernel -- it feels like a whole new phone! This is how WebOS was supposed to run from the beginning and it's a shame they didn't work that out before they released the hardware.

I don't think HP should be involved in the hardware space race to see who can have the latest/greatest processor and memory specs -- they should now focus on battery life, durability, camera quality/features and consumer adoption. The hardware (even on a Pre-) is great with the new developments!
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wotan View Post
    I've had a Pre since launch day on Sprint. Ever since it was able to be overclocked with Uberkernel, it's been better than any other device I've used.

Now that I've got 2.1 and the updated Uberkernel -- it feels like a whole new phone! This is how WebOS was supposed to run from the beginning and it's a shame they didn't work that out before they released the hardware.

I don't think HP should be involved in the hardware space race to see who can have the latest/greatest processor and memory specs -- they should now focus on battery life, durability, camera quality/features and consumer adoption. The hardware (even on a Pre-) is great with the new developments!
    Well how many replacements have you had due to faulty hardware? I have had 7 and most of them dealt with hardware actively draining the battery, falling off power buttons, speaker quality issues, cracking USB drive and other keyboard issues.

Hardware is definitely the problem here on the Pre- and newer hardware is exactly what we need. Had the Pre2 or even the + been the first Pre out then maybe we would not have had so many issues.

Your Pre may be fine but there are many others out there that have had problems with the hardware itself that needed to return, replace or exchange.
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    I was not bothered by frequently needing to replace my Pre+ due to hardware failures. It seemed to be about every 60-90 days. With all the homebrew help to back up my patches and configuration, it was so easy to restore things to a replacement phone.

But, now that my phone is out of warranty I won't be so pleased if the hardware fails. And it's the Sprint users I really feal bad for - they can't get their Pre- replaced even if they want to...

The thing that makes the Pre-/+ hardware issue so damaging is that it has made the carriers gun shy about carrying future Palm phones. Verizon and Sprint lost a lot of money on the Pre because they had such a high return rate. Not sure about AT&T.

Now we can see that VZW makes it hard for anyone to consider the Pre2 unless they come in to the store knowing they want it. Basically it's only the Pre+ owners that are likely to track it down and buy it. Reminds me of the 755p and Centro. They sold them, but if you didn't ask about it the sales people wouldn't mention it and it wasn't prominantly displayed. The reps would freely acknowledge that it was an easy sale for the "Palm Fans" but not something they'd recommend for someone not already using PalmOS.

Same is now true for webOS. If you have/want a Pre, they'll order it for you after you tell them why you don't want an iPhone4. That's it. I was talking to someone at Verizon yesterday and she agreed that the sales and support people are afraid of the Pre2 because they had soooo many returns of the Pre+, and they are mostly unaware of the major improvements in the Pre2. The carrier loses money on your phone purchase if they have to replace it. If they have to replace the phone for more than a small percent of buyers, that entire phone offering loses money and is discontinued as quickly as inventory will allow.

She also said that the original MotorolaDroid was subject to really high returns for hardware failures. I hadn't heard that before. Apparently they also suffered from serious build quality, but not to the extreme of the Pre+. Apparently quality improved quicky. More Pre+ users returned it for something else than did MtoDroid buyers, and that also hurt Palm.

That said, Palm needs to hit a home run on a major carrier to reduce the fear that carriers have developed from the Pre and a few previous Palm models (like the 700x that was pulled/replaced with the 700wx almost instantly).

They need to see it as an easy sell, that stays sold, that doesn't develop problems or generate visits to the service desk.

Palm needs to get the Pre3 into the hands of a carrier yesterday, because that's the hardware with the potential to turn this around. Not the Pre2, although it's a major improvement. And not webOS 2.0 because it's still got a few bugs. They need a 2.2 or 2.3 level of code on the Pre3 to get onto the scoreboard - NOW!

/that is all
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I agree. Build quality needs to be addressed (but that seems to already have happened.) Although I'm only on my second Pre-, I do understand the issues.

My statement above was just saying that we don't need to increase the processor much more than it is right now. It runs great! I'd much prefer increased battery life or a better camera to a dual-core snapdragon.
    As much as I love the homebrew community around here, patches and overclocks aren't going to help HP gain any market share.

Without new hardware to advertise, they will never go anywhere.
    Wotan

I starting to feel the same way. I actually feel that HP has the means to send WebOS 2.X.X to 'legacy' devices but that would hurt there revenue. As itwas pretty easy for WebOS Internals to cram it together and give us 'legacy' owners a feel of 2.1. Buut....if new hardware gives us more function, faster (out the box...no overclocking), and a bigger screen (the size of Pre3 is perfect) I'm all for it. Just bring it to Sprint so I don't have to think about moving to another carrier or god forbid....android.
    I am another pre- trouble free harware user...my minus has been dropped.. Damped..and I work in a dusty job and other than a few stratches and a little scuffing she still hasn't been replaced..i've had the usual headphone...battery detach problems but all in all she's still in one piece..and I use her like a two dollar *****...on the sour note my battery is on it's way out

Well get this...many people in your same position that upgraded to the Pre2 are citing that it blows away the PC PP+ in terms of speed and smoothness. That the hw is way better goes without saying. Now just imagine how much better the Pre3 will be beyond peoples experience with the Pre2.

It's unfortunate that some missteps in the past with the old Pres are now hurting the legitimately effective Pre2 we have now and has the chance to hurt the future devices. However, this is one area where $$ can make the difference in pushing\changing public perception (why are Superbowl ads $4M for 30 secs if people can't be "swayed" by ads).

I used to feel that way. I had the Pre - for about 18 months, no replacements needed, the only issue I had was with a stuck power button. I had it overclocked, and homebrewed up & it was great. Then I Sprintified my Pre 2 and now I'm like whoa!!!

If the Pre -/+ hardware was as solid as the Pre 2, webOS would be doing much better than it currently is. Hardware wise, my Pre feels a lot cheaper than the Pre 2. The Gorilla glass, lack of Oreo effect, keyboard & just the overall feel of the Pre 2 is great. Hardware certainly makes a huge difference, and webOS needs some new hardware with atleast the quality of the Pre 2.

Fortunately with the new lineup of devices, it doesn't appear that hardware will be an issue.

The fact that you have to overclock, alone, means we need new hardware. We don't need dual core (at least for now, as the Pre3 seems to run great with the processor it has). Battery life, durability, camera are all hardware too. So, really you're saying all we need, next to software updates, is hardware updates lol. But, ya, I'm on Sprint and I've had 7 Palm Pre phones since launch day. It's always been easy to get them replaced though and every time I did, I obtained a new battery and charger! WEeeeEEEEee!1
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    The hardware (even on a Pre-) is great with the new developments!
    Speak for yourself! My wife is going on her 9th replacement, I've been lucky only had to replace it once. "LUCKY" is the key word! the original Pre hardware sucks!
    - Sent from my HTC Evo 3D
    I must have got a Superman Pre then.. I bought it from a friend, who bought it on launch day and used it for a few months before going over to Iphone. I've had it since July, and it had an Invisible Shield on it when I bought it, although it was peeling, it went about 2 weeks without one after I'd had it a couple months, then I put a new one on it. It's had more than its share of drops, the nieces and nephews getting ahold of it, etc. It's been through a lot.

Sure, I've got problems with it now, the power button doesn't really work very well, either have to push it in with a fingernail or something, or just pushing really hard with my pointer finger sometimes works, the volume buttons are becoming much less responsive.. especially the volume up button... Maybe all the doctoring? There's a crack in the middle of the screen, hence the reason I'm afraid to take off the current peeling invisible shield I have on it. For some reason though, the only time I can ever see the crack is when the HP logo is glowing on boot. Battery door's missing, and of course, it oreos like crazy. But it still works.

I'm not going to sit here and complain about Palm about my phone having a few slight problems, when the phone is almost two years old, and there's already 2 newer generations of the phone out and available. It has actually survived through a lot more than I ever thought a smartphone could.

After putting 2.1.0 and Flash on it, yeah, it definitely feels like a new phone. It's fast, it's responsive, and it does almost anything I want it to.. (including as of night before last, putting pretty much a complete linux desktop on it, which runs in a card, within webOS! and it runs extremely well, considering the fact that I'm running it on a phone and not a computer.)

So yeah, the current hardware has been improved with software updates, but at the same time, sure, we need new hardware. Think about it, they'll bring out the new Iphones and Androids and what have you, and people are going to flock to the phones with the higher specs, and of course, the iphone people are going to buy the new iphone. And the Pre 3 is the one I'm waiting for.. Although I might be 2ing my Pre here in the next couple weeks if I can find one on ebay with no scratches on the screen, that isn't going for some ridiculous price. Mainly just to remedy the wear and tear issue with my two year old phone. Oh yeah, and the glass screen.