Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Those files really have little importance to webos-internals. They get the important information from the Doctors that are released. That site it missing all the proprietary stuff from Palm/HP that is need to get webos running and even tweaking it. All the stuff that is released there is just for open source compliance reasons. so I dont really think it is a big deal to homebrew.

I could be wrong though
    You need the source code to rewrite the file correct?
    those are all just the underlying linux programs that are open source to begin with. I dont think the programs have any importance to homebrew. The kernel is the one area I am not certain about.
    Well just out of curiosity I tried to install the linux kernel patch for pre plus, through both WOSQI and Preware. Neither worked.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

If someone wants to compare an original 1.4.5 kernel to the OC'ed 1.4.5 kernels, you can tell the differences.
    Sprint Love
  5.    #25  
    The patch will not load. I think the patch is needed when compiling the kernel itself.

Only time will tell if this is what they have been waiting for. As a side note, it looks like all of the files are still uploading to the Dev server. I think that is the not found issue as noted before.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkieboy View Post
    The patch will not load. I think the patch is needed when compiling the kernel itself.

Only time will tell if this is what they have been waiting for. As a side note, it looks like all of the files are still uploading to the Dev server. I think that is the not found issue as noted before.
    mmm

I'm getting the feeling back again.. you know that awesome feeling when you get something for free that's totally awesome and makes your life 3,000x more betterer..
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

those patches are used on the programs before they are compiled. The programs have already been compiled and are running on your device so running those patches wont work. the programs and kernels displayed there are already open source to begin with. you can go download any of those right now (they are all linux programs and most of them are already installed for you on a linux machine). Palm needed to make specific code changed to get them to run on the specific hardware(Pre Plus, Pre 2). That is why they have patches. Webos-internals has had the kernel for awhile(since it is open source and running on other linux machines), they might not have had the kernel patch specific to the devices.
  8. SashoDikov
    man, love OC and can't wait to bolster the clocked 2.1 tomorrow

but this just killed the veer sales, unless it comes out with an exclusive 2.2 not available to the other devices... aah who cares, bring the UK already ;]
    those patches are device specific and are what will allow User and other kernels to be updated to 2.1.0 ...1gHz OC should be here by tomorrow. Rod said 24 hrs after they get the source, UK should be ready.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Disclaimer: I am not a developer, but I have been a long-time follower of linux and the open source movement in general.

First, I'll say that this is probably what the WebOS Internals crew needs to get Uberkernal ported to WebOS2.1 - specifically the packages labeled Linux Kernel (Pre 2) and Linux Kernal (Pre Plus) As someone else mentioned, the downloads on this page can't be directly installed on our phones, they are the source code required for compiling the programs. Part of the requirement of using code from the GNU Public License (like the linux kernel) is that if you make any changes to a GPLed program and distribute the changed program, you must also make the source code available. This whole page is HP complying with the GPL by publishing their code.

The code published here will almost certainly be of use to a multitude of WebOS developers, but don't expect everything you want - particularly any launcher patches. While WebOS is built upon linux, and uses a lot of open-source code, the GUI, including the launcher, are closed-source. Notice that Luna isn't mentioned anywhere in the downloads.

The WebOS 1.x launcher was patchable because it was all coded in javascript and displayed by the javascript interpreter. The new launcher is a native binary, so it runs faster, but can't be changed by the homebrew community. Any changes we want, we're pretty much at the mercy of HP. Hopefully they'll implement a Launcher Preferences screen similar to the one provided by the Advanced Configuration for App Launcher patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLitwiller View Post
    The WebOS 1.x launcher was patchable because it was all coded in javascript and displayed by the javascript interpreter. The new launcher is a native binary, so it runs faster, but can't be changed by the homebrew community. Any changes we want, we're pretty much at the mercy of HP. Hopefully they'll implement a Launcher Preferences screen similar to the one provided by the Advanced Configuration for App Launcher patch.
    I would be happy if they allowed you to change the size of app icons so you can have four in a row. I only patch the app launcher to add launcher pages (which is now possible natively on 2.x), make the app icons smaller, and to hide some apps. Hiding apps is not critical, but making the app icons smaller is a big one that I would like to have.
    2.1 on a pre- definately needs some more mhz's
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    WebosInternals just tweeted about this 30 mins ago. Sounded excited.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I thought the problem was the NDA on 2.1... Does this mean that is lifted?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by dingwall1 View Post
    WebosInternals just tweeted about this 30 mins ago. Sounded excited.
    They ran into a little roadblock. Turns out the links to the kernel source for the Pre 2 and Pre Plus are broken.
    unixpsycho seems to be working on it already...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2890354
    Last edited by fxspec06; 02/28/2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: url

Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    unixpsycho seems to be working on it already...

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post2890354
    Great News!
    thunderchief is up in the testing feeds!
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
  19.    #39  
    Installing Thunderchief as we speak. Now, just wondering about File Manager and Internalz for 2.1.0 now that the source has been released.
    Quote Originally Posted by arkieboy View Post
    Installing Thunderchief as we speak. Now, just wondering about File Manager and Internalz for 2.1.0 now that the source has been released.
    I think its the NDA being removed on the 2.0 SDK that Jason is waiting on for Internalz/File Manager Service.. not this.. but I'd be happy if I was wrong..
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast