Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so the Verizon keyboard issues have been a source of debate for the past year. For those that have the issue, you will find that if you press the keys firmly and distinctly, they will work well. However, if you type relatively fast, then sometimes just pressing the keys will not register a keystroke. Some have debated about whether it is a hardware or software issue. So after installing WebOS 2.1, I found that the keyboard issue was still there. I said to myself, I'm tear this apart and see if it can be fixed. (BTW, I have several verizon pre's).

I have taken Pre's apart before, but if you haven't you can read this thread by Rod:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...-palm-pre.html

It is very good and has links to his pictures and another website that has instructions. However, none went as far as I did.

The keyboard has three layers that are just stuck together with adhesive. The top layer, the black external keyboard, can be pulled up pretty easily from the middle layer (white). You will see little dimples under the keys on the white layer.

Now here's the somewhat difficult part. The white layer is stuck with adhesive to the bottom pcb (printed circuit board). You have to get a knife or blade under the corner and get between the adhesive and circuit board and start to pull up the white layer. You have to make sure that you are under the adhesive because you want to pull up the white layer with adhesive on it. Because, on this white layer are litte squares of metal that are concave. You will see that when you press a key down, the little concave metal makes contact with the metal contact on the pcb.

So, why would the Verizon keyboard have such problems?? The only think I could think of was that there was contamination in the factory when they put these keyboard pieces together. I took a foam swab and cleaned all the contacts with alcohol. The square metal contacts on the white layer are a little hard, because the while layer is sticky around the metal. So if you use a cotton q-tip (not recommended), then it tends to pull of fibers and if one fiber gets between the contacts, then it won't work. (that happened to me and I had to take it apart and found the fiber and removed it and it worked.). I used a magnifying light to check both sides of the contacts to make sure there wasn't any hair/fibers on them. Put everything back together.

This is not a procedure for beginners or for people with no patience. It helps to have a magnifying light (thank you to my wife). But, I have done this on 3 different Verizon Pre's that were having keyboard issues and they all work PERFECTLY, in both 1.4.5 or 2.1. In fact, with a perfectly working keyboard, it is like a new phone.

I guess I should say that I can't guarantee anything and that of course, this will void your warranty. But in my opinion, it is SO worth it for the keyboard improvement.
    Well when I had to return my original pre plus for a refurb for a different reason the keyboard on the refurb is outstanding. Problem fixed.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Well when I had to return my original pre plus for a refurb for a different reason the keyboard on the refurb is outstanding. Problem fixed.
    Yeah, I know others that had the same experience. I guess the reason for that, and also that the Sprint keyboards never had the problem, is because Verizon Pre's got a bad batch of keyboards with contamination. But if you think about it, and with my experience with three of them, it makes sense that contamination could have caused it.
  4.    #4  
    Obviously, if there were spare Verizon keyboards available, it would be a much easier fix. However, I haven't been able to find a source for them.
    I believe your theory, since only the first batch of vzw phones were affected, whereas all since and att and sprint keyboard were relatively unaffected.
    I don't think I have the guts to try this. But I've got a launch day VZW Pre+ and still have this problem. It improved with an OS update last spring, but it is becoming more and more of a problem again.

I may think about doing this, but it sounds a bit beyond my skill. Of course, I could stay at a holiday inn express the night before I attempt it...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

7.    #7  
    It looks like this site has the keyboard and pcb board for a Sprint, but it should be the same for a Verizon.

Palm Pre Replacement|Repair Parts
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    I believe your theory, since only the first batch of vzw phones were affected, whereas all since and att and sprint keyboard were relatively unaffected.
    I bought my VZW Pre Plus in March 2010 and have the keyboard problem badly.
    get a refurb. My new keyboard is outstanding.
    +1 to the refurb. Less stress and you get a new screen (in my case I got a free TouchStone back as well)
  11.    #11  
    get a refurb. My new keyboard is outstanding.
    The Verizon Pre Plus has been out for over a year now and any early adopters are out of warranty. But yeah, a refurb should be okay, as long as it didn't get one of the bad keyboards.
    I'm going to have to give this a shot. Having a Sprint Pre+ has been great but I wish it had my old keyboard.
    MD,

I replaced both my wife's and mine in recent months, and like you the problem was fixed. I actually replaced my wife's today. I checked out the Pre2 will waiting and it is a nice rock solid upgrade from the Plus.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post
    I'm going to have to give this a shot. Having a Sprint Pre+ has been great but I wish it had my old keyboard.
    Don't you have an old keyboard from your Sprint phone?
    Hmm! I took it apart and it fixed it but I don't know how. I didn't really have debris.

I removed what looked like residue caused by the sticky white layer from the printed circuit board.

Pro tip: you can get under the correct layer without a knife or blade from the right or left top edge

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    He might have done the webos world swap and doesn't have the sprint pre keyboard

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Hmm! I took it apart and it fixed it but I don't know how. I didn't really have debris.

I removed what looked like residue caused by the sticky white layer from the printed circuit board.

Pro tip: you can get under the correct layer without a knife or blade from the right or left top edge

He might have done the webos world swap and doesn't have the sprint pre keyboard
    Yeah, that's right. I think it might have been easier to pull the little white tab on the top left or top right. And just for claification, I didn't see any debris on the contacts. It just had to be some film or oil or somthing which didn't allow a good contact. And that's awesome it worked for you.
    I do but I always dreaded trying the keyboard swap as it was even more complex than the comms board swap, as I understand.

I was assuming this would be easier or is that not the case?
    It looks like this site has the keyboard and pcb board for a Sprint, but it should be the same for a Verizon.

Palm Pre Replacement|Repair Parts
    It is pin compatible, but Verizon ones are clickier.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    If anyone tries this please report here what you cleaned away and if it worked.

@foosball
    It's not that hard overall. Just a few steps are tricky or confusing. If you do try and need help you can always ask precentral or PM me.

The verizon keyboard is MUCH nicer.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    upgrade to 2.1 helped a ton. Sometimes I still miss letter 'o' but it is a ton better. If it gets worse again I will def try.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast