Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My current Sprint Pre- has the same issue. If I type too fast, they don't register (specifically when typing double letters right in a row or when using the space bar). This is the first of seven Pre's I've used that has the issue though.
    Not for the faint of heart, but sure does the trick! Keyboard has been a real pain, but now perfect. No obvious contamination, but clearly that was the problem. Well done!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dugan View Post
    Not for the faint of heart, but sure does the trick! Keyboard has been a real pain, but now perfect. No obvious contamination, but clearly that was the problem. Well done!
    Great to hear. Makes it like a new phone doesn't it? I keep looking at my typing for missed or duplicate letters and don't find any. ha-ha-ha
    me too and I was tried to change the keyboard but it didn't work for me
    I had this problem when I plussed my pre & I just went back & swapped my keyboards out. I my try this on my verizon pre- since it's getting activated.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Great to hear. Makes it like a new phone doesn't it? I keep looking at my typing for missed or duplicate letters and don't find any. ha-ha-ha
    From Brunswick, GA? Do you know about the Georgia Pig BBQ? Isn't that near Brunswick? I haven't tried it yet, but would like to hear if it's worth the trip.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Thought I would chime in on this. I did this cleaning as part of a tear down I did to see if my wifi antenna was not making contact (or the PCB was broken) since my wifi hasn't been the same since the 1.4.5 update (think it may be software related now). I only separated the keyboard between the white material with the dome caps and the actual flex PCB with the key contacts. When I separated it I noticed some stuff on some of the keys that might have been the issue, so I cleaned the flex PCB and the dome caps on the white material using an alcohol wipe. I cleaned the PCB until it was completely clean then lightly cleaned the dome caps. Put it back together, and now the keyboard is rock solid. I can actually look at just the keyboard and type a long message using the keys that tended to either miss or double type frequently, and the whole message will be error free. Night and day difference.

I'm really surprised that Palm didn't find this issue and just send out a recall notice to affected users, and getting this fixed. Could have been a half hour fix at the store (those with in-house repair techs, that is) and would have alleviated one of the biggest complaints about the Verizon Pre+. Now if they could just beat Verizon over the head and fix the whole GPS fiasco!

Well worth doing, though the adhesive is obviously not meant to be taken apart and put back together with any frequency. Putting the phone back together is a little more difficult then getting it apart. So this isn't for the weak hearted.
    Last edited by falconrap; 03/24/2011 at 04:24 AM.
    I am amazed and awed...well you knew that from the title, LOL. I almost feel guilty for taking the lazy way out, (getting VZW to just send me a new phone), instead of tackling this myself... Ok so I took the path of least resistance. It wasn't even in warranty and they were like "Oh sure, we'll send another." I should have been more industrious, I feel like just another end user now :S
    For those of you who have performed this task, how are things going with your 'repaired' keyboards, 8 months later?

My keyboard seems to be getting worse (launch day pre+ on VZW) so I'm thinking about trying this.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I have service on Page Plus Cellular, and had gone through both a Pixi Plus and a Pre Plus, and back in April this year I decided I wanted to try an Android, and ended up with a used HTC Incredible. Nice phone, or so I thought. It turns out the proximity sensor isn't working, so I was always "face dialing" on calls! The seller must have known when he sold it to me, but because I receive so few calls on that line I didn't get around to noticing it until recently.

So I thought I'd drop back to the Pre, which I still had. Problem is, I've got what must be an early Verizon Wireless release of the phone, with the dreaded funky intermittant keyboard, which I've known about for some time, and have known about this thread for about as long. I decided if I was going to put it back into service I'd better take the plunge and do the deed gapost describes here, using the helpful tutorials linked as well.

I'm an on & off technician of various sorts, and thought to myself, "what one person does, another can do as well," so I dug in, gritted my teeth, and performed the operation! And the operation was a success! The keyboard is like new, like I never experienced it. I will say though, that for me some of the descriptions of disassembly and re-assembly could've used some fleshing out a bit. I especially had trouble in re-assembly with the two tabs (on either side) at what I call the "top" of the keyboard bezel in about the middle of the phone. Very tricky, and I slightly deformed both of them, then went back and had to shape them so they'd fit the way they're supposed to, and finally figured out how to reconnect them correctly to avoid that.

I was surprised to see how the "stuck together" keyboard layers all fit back together and lined up with no problems. Again, tricky, but it all worked out.

So in the morning I'll be able to get the phone active on the network again, and I'll probably stay with it for a while. It has much better call audio and radio sensitivity than the copy of the Incredible I have. Those are desirable traits for me.

Thanks to all who contributed, it really made it happen. And to anyone who still runs across a Pre with the VZW keyboard problem, if you've got the technician chops or just like a challenge, this will get things fixed for sure.
    thanks for posting this whacker - i have had on and off problems on VZW PrePlus with 'E' 'O' 'U' and 'Q'....

now they are full time not working, so i think it is time for a exploratory (or go to the Pre3, but i love the VZW hotspot...)

thanks again - james h.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    I have service on Page Plus Cellular, and had gone through both a Pixi Plus and a Pre Plus, and back in April this year I decided I wanted to try an Android, and ended up with a used HTC Incredible. Nice phone, or so I thought. It turns out the proximity sensor isn't working, so I was always "face dialing" on calls! The seller must have known when he sold it to me, but because I receive so few calls on that line I didn't get around to noticing it until recently.

So I thought I'd drop back to the Pre, which I still had. Problem is, I've got what must be an early Verizon Wireless release of the phone, with the dreaded funky intermittant keyboard, which I've known about for some time, and have known about this thread for about as long. I decided if I was going to put it back into service I'd better take the plunge and do the deed gapost describes here, using the helpful tutorials linked as well.

I'm an on & off technician of various sorts, and thought to myself, "what one person does, another can do as well," so I dug in, gritted my teeth, and performed the operation! And the operation was a success! The keyboard is like new, like I never experienced it. I will say though, that for me some of the descriptions of disassembly and re-assembly could've used some fleshing out a bit. I especially had trouble in re-assembly with the two tabs (on either side) at what I call the "top" of the keyboard bezel in about the middle of the phone. Very tricky, and I slightly deformed both of them, then went back and had to shape them so they'd fit the way they're supposed to, and finally figured out how to reconnect them correctly to avoid that.

I was surprised to see how the "stuck together" keyboard layers all fit back together and lined up with no problems. Again, tricky, but it all worked out.

So in the morning I'll be able to get the phone active on the network again, and I'll probably stay with it for a while. It has much better call audio and radio sensitivity than the copy of the Incredible I have. Those are desirable traits for me.

Thanks to all who contributed, it really made it happen. And to anyone who still runs across a Pre with the VZW keyboard problem, if you've got the technician chops or just like a challenge, this will get things fixed for sure.
    Hey, no problem.

Take the advice about the lint-free swabs seriously. All the key contacts are surrounded by an adhesive-coated layer (after separating the layers), so it's important to not let any material snag on that stuff that might end up on the contact. I used a couple of different thicknesses of guitar pick to separate the case parts.

Be sure to post back here with your experience!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12