1.    #1  
    I'm getting a Palm Pre Plus for AT&T soon. What do you suggest I do when I first get it? Is there a starter's guide on how to get the best out of your Pre Plus? Please help me out! I want to join your Palm community!
    Quote Originally Posted by brand0nli View Post
    I'm getting a Palm Pre Plus for AT&T soon. What do you suggest I do when I first get it? Is there a starter's guide on how to get the best out of your Pre Plus? Please help me out! I want to join your Palm community!
    Overclock and patch!
    Disclaimer from me: I think overclocking may void your warranty. Some say it does, others say it doesn't. I hesitated to do it for a while, but once I did I was glad I did. I really don't think there's any harm in it.

Follow these instructions:

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

Go to the section: Installing Preware with WebOS Quick Install

That'll put Preware on your desktop. When you have WebOS Doctor installed, I had to launch that once (but DON'T actually run the program) to make it install the Novacom drivers (I have NO idea what all this means, it's just what others told me to do and it worked). I reiterate: Don't actually run WebOS Doctor, just launch it and it'll install the Novacom drivers that are needed for Quick Install. Once those drivers are installed, you can run Quick Install and follow the instructions at the link posted above for loading Preware on your phone.

Once Preware is on your phone, launch it. Just type "uberkernel" and install that. Then do the same for "govnah". You'll have to do luna restarts, but it doesn't take long (nowhere near as long as actually restarting your phone). To overclock, launch Govnah and tap screenstate and select 500/1000, or whichever you want. Note: anytime you restart your phone, you'll have to go back in to Govnah to reselect the screenstate you want That'll overclock your phone nicely. From there, it's just browsing around Preware and finding what you want. You should probably fiddle with your phone first to get acquainted with everything and that'll give you a better idea of what you want to change. And you can change just about everything (you can even change the AT&T in the upper left corner to say whatever you want). Enjoy! It's almost like a totally different phone once you've patched.

That's MY very simplified approach, but there are LOTS of people on here smarter than me, so you can get a lot of tips/advice.
    If I were you, I would just use the phone like normal for a couple weeks or so. Unless you're familiar with WebOS, I think it'll take that long to really familiarize yourself with it and with all the apps. Then you'll know what stuff you want to change to optimize the phone for your use. That's what patching is all about...it customizes the phone for how you use it.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    If I were you, I would just use the phone like normal for a couple weeks or so. Unless you're familiar with WebOS, I think it'll take that long to really familiarize yourself with it and with all the apps. Then you'll know what stuff you want to change to optimize the phone for your use. That's what patching is all about...it customizes the phone for how you use it.
    I've been doing a lot of research on what I can do to make my Pre the best, and that was exactly what I thought I should do.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Also, I recommend the patches for tap-and-hold functionality in the browser and the Device Menu Megamatrix (adds brightness controls to the top bar menu, ect). Don't hesitate to buy 3d games (most bad reviews come from Pre Minus users).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm 99.9% sure that, although it has been stressed that overclocking and modding your phone will void your warranty, there has not been one case of that happening. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall hearing about anybody getting refused warranty replacement for their phone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    If you're a calendar user, check-out Ubercalendar. Music remix 2.0 is amazing as well. Welcome & good luck!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    welcome to the fold. remember like anywhere else dont feed the trolls. the first thing you should dois learn the gestures and metagestures like copy and paste.
    (truthfully i still havent gotten that figured out.)