Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    So I pretty much modded 2.1 on my Pre Plus running on sprint.. All I have to say is what the hell? Why couldn't you have given this to us earlier/legitimately? This isn't as bad as you guys think it is performance wise, and if anything with a nice 1Ghz clock if/when released this thing will be flying. I feel as though it still lags here and there, but OMG. Seriously? HP decided *not* release an update to legacy users? Minor UI updates and additional items were added but it's not a HUGE update.. It really isn't. It's mind bottling.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    bottling. Heh.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    bottling. Heh.
    What comedian says that? DONT USE A SEARCH ENGINE!
    Chazz
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Chazz
    Very good!
    HP simply can't handle the support questions and lost data that have occurred for certain users without pulling resources away from development of future OS releases and new hardware.

I understand that it seems to be okay, but 90-95% efficacy is simply not acceptable and would be a marketing NIGHTMARE for HP if their users had experiences problems en masse before their new devices were ready.

We're all disappointed, but it makes sense business-wise. The last thing HP needs (even worse than upsetting current users) is damaging their experiences in the transition. With this decision, at least people see a logical progression and their just upset. If they release an imperfect update and that news gets out, the public would assume that HP is incapable of a proper release and they will lose face in the public eye.

It hurts - and the delivery was terrible - but it makes sense.
    Just because us on precentral can use a doctor doesn't mean everyone can. I had my uncle call me when I sent him everything he needed for free tether ****ed off cause he couldn't turn on developer mode and no matter how many times I told him how to do it he never could and I had to go do it for him.
  8. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    HP must be doing something right . . . have you seen their stock lately? Appears industry financiers are impressed with some things HP (HPQ) is doing or going to do. +16% for the past year is not bad ~
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    HP must be doing something right . . . have you seen their stock lately? Appears industry financiers are impressed with some things HP (HPQ) is doing or going to do. +16% for the past year is not bad ~
    Ummmmm, ya, not so much
    HP: Apotheker Upbeat On Services Despite Q1 Drop; Shares Down 12% - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    HPQ - Hewlett-Packard Company Stock Research - Stock Quotes, Charts, News and Analysis
    Being that they sat(over the last 52 weeks) at $54.75 as a high, $37.32 as a low and are sitting at $42.68 currently. (I'm not sure where you get +16% out of that, dec)

Investing, Stock Quotes and Research, Personal Finance and Business News - InvestorGuide.com
    Roundup: Wall Street sell-off continues amid Mideast tensions
    NEW YORK, Feb. 23, 2011 (Xinhua News Agency) -- The sell-off in Wall Street continued on Wednesday as political tensions in Libya showed no signs of easing.

After Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi said in a defiant speech on Tuesday that he would not step down and promised tougher action against rebels, the unrest in the country escalated. Heavy gunfire broke out in Libya's capital city Tripoli, making investors fear the unrest would spread to more countries in the region, especially to those major oil producers like Iran and Algeria.

Meanwhile, oil prices soared on concerns that long-lasting supply disruptions or even permanent damage would happen to Libya' s oil industry. U.S. crude prices briefly crossed 100 dollars a barrel on Wednesday, the first time since October 2008, before settling at 98.10 dollars a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, advancing nearly 10 percent in two trading sessions,

The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index, which is regarded as a gauge of uncertainty or fear in the market for its tendency to rise when stocks fall, rose 6.4 percent to 22.13, the highest level since Nov. 30. The gauge gained as much as 41 percent in the latest two sessions, the most since May.

On economic front, sales of previously occupied homes rose 2.7 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 5.36 million in January, according to the National Association of Realtors. The rise was a surprise for most analysts, but it failed to boost sentiment as the median sales price for an existing home fell to the lowest level in nearly nine years, showing the housing market was still one of the weakest points in the economy.

Hewlett-Packard tumbled nearly 10 percent to lead the Dow's decliners on Wednesday after the technology giant posted a 16 percent quarterly profit increase but disappointed investors with weak revenue growth. It also lowered revenue forecasts for the rest of its fiscal year, even as it raised profit targets.

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 107.01 points, or 0.88 percent, to 12,105.78. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index was down 8. 04 points, or 0.61 percent, to 1,307.40. The Nasdaq lost 33.43 points, or 1.21 percent, to 2,722.99.

The main point of this article is, yes HP did lose almost 10% but there's other factors in there that contribute to the loss, as you can see, losses were all across the board. Yes they just took a hit, but that's the world of the stock market. Look at that graph again, and move back to a 3 month graph, then 1 year, then 5 year, then 10 year. If you look at the overall trend, the stock progressively moves up, especially when you go to a 10 year. If you managed your portfolio based on what has happened in the past 24 hours for the duration, how would you get any significant gains? Every time a stock price drops you sell? That's not how it works.

Day 2 Stock Slide News:
    http://www.investorguide.com/stock-n...7917&topic=HPQ

Stocks slide – day two
    Feb. 23, 2011 (WALLSTmoney) --

In New York, equities declined for a second straight session Wednesday as oil prices surged to briefly cross the $100-U.S.-per-barrel mark amid mounting turmoil in Libya.

The Dow Jones industrial average collapsed 107.01 points to close at 12,105.80.

The S&P 500 lopped off 8.04 points to 1,307.40. Both indexes were dragged lower by a 10% drop in shares of Hewlett Packard. Late Tuesday, the computer company issued a disappointing outlook and quarterly sales figures.

The tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index subtracted 33.43 points to 2,722.99, with a 7% decline in shares of Dollar Tree leading the index lower. HP is not included in the tech-heavy index.

Shares of CBOE Holdings, the parent company of the Chicago Board Options Exchange, jumped almost 2% after Reuters reported that the company is "open to 'strategic transactions" such as a sale or merger with another exchange operator." CBOE declined comment.

Libya's escalating political crisis sparked a sharp selloff in U.S. stocks Tuesday, with the three major indexes posting their biggest one-day drops of the year and as oil prices continued to skyrocket.

Economically speaking, a report from the National Association of Realtors showed that existing home sales rose 2.7% to an annual rate of 5.36 million units.

On Tuesday, the latest S&P/Case-Shiller home price index report indicated that national home prices fell 4.1% during the last three months of 2010, compared with 12 months earlier.

The price on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury reversed course and fell, raising the yield to 3.49% from Tuesday's 3.46%. Treasury prices and yields move in opposite directions,

Oil for February delivery leaped $3.04 to $98.56 U.S. a barrel.

Gold prices soared $10.40 an ounce to $1,411 U.S.

MARKCOMM

Source: Baystreet US Market Commentary (February 24, 2011 - 8:00 AM EST)
    Last edited by sledge007; 02/27/2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txba539 View Post
    HP simply can't handle the support questions and lost data that have occurred for certain users without pulling resources away from development of future OS releases and new hardware.

I understand that it seems to be okay, but 90-95% efficacy is simply not acceptable and would be a marketing NIGHTMARE for HP if their users had experiences problems en masse before their new devices were ready.

We're all disappointed, but it makes sense business-wise. The last thing HP needs (even worse than upsetting current users) is damaging their experiences in the transition. With this decision, at least people see a logical progression and their just upset. If they release an imperfect update and that news gets out, the public would assume that HP is incapable of a proper release and they will lose face in the public eye.

Unfortunately this is the way Apple works, and Apple still updated their Phones to their new OS. Trust me, they have all the resources they want. They pretty much killed any customer base they had by announcing no updates and no phones right after the announcement.

They killed off the old Palm hardware, because they wanted to start fresh. I can see that making sense for them, and them alone. Support vs lost customers is a numbers game. However when you're this late in the game, no matter how BIG your global reach is, you will fail in the market if you have no following. Only people who truly love what Palm did will stay with HP.

By the way, the 2.1 update run great on my Pre Plus, and I've heard it runs great on the Pre-. If they release a do it yourself upgrade, than so be it, but telling your customer base that basically "We no longer support the software that we previously done by those evil guys at Palm" is just a bunch of crap.
    thanks guys I have to admit I installed preware and everything but I was going to try updating to 2.1 I but I freaked out and decided not to. I want 2.1 cus of stacks and just type options (It is going make searching beers on beer advocate awesome.) but I hold off. I tried understanding the wiki but for someone who isn't use to using a terminal it's not that easy. I'm still wondering what hps announcement for the legacy users is going to be upcoming weeks or months cus we are coming up on three here. I want 2.0 but the wiki they have isn't that easy or as webos roundup said so easy a caveman can do it.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by txba539 View Post

It makes sense in an isolated view where spending resources on a small and shrinking user group (pre, pre+) owners is greatly outweighed by the development of essentially a new platform. However, HP is in a very weak position with consumer smartphones and risks becoming irrelevant by mid-year. Yes, their announced products look very promising, but they have an uphill battle with non-corporate users and third party developers.

HP is clearly focusing on the enterprise where they can leverage their existing business and they face a relatively weaker set of smartphone competition. Holding on to Pre and Pre+ users is not important for that market, so the business decision is easy - but not pleasant for us long time palm users.

For me, WebOS is the best OS, but having spent two days using an Android Moto Atix, I can say that hw and app wise, WebOS is in a very deep hole. No doubt that WebOS is, as a pure OS, better than Android. However, the total user experience with a dual core 1ghz processor Android 2.2 phone running on HSDPA blows the doors off my Sprint Pre. I hate to say it, but I will be using Android for a couple of years and watching if HP can catch up - I hope so, but I am not optimistic.

****ing off users is one thing, but they have also abandoned their developers who built on the prior dev platform. It's also a simple business decision for many of them. WebOS on the new dev platform is like starting over again - why invest the resources when Android, IoS, and even Windows 7 looks like a better business opportunity?

My conclusion, Ruby, the Palm management, and that long-haired investor freak may have done too much damage to upright the ship. It's a shame and makes me sad

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Unfortunately this is the way Apple works, and Apple still updated their Phones to their new OS. Trust me, they have all the resources they want. They pretty much killed any customer base they had by announcing no updates and no phones right after the announcement.
    Wait, when did the iPhone and the iPhone 3G receive a full iOS update last?

Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    They killed off the old Palm hardware, because they wanted to start fresh. I can see that making sense for them, and them alone. Support vs lost customers is a numbers game. However when you're this late in the game, no matter how BIG your global reach is, you will fail in the market if you have no following. Only people who truly love what Palm did will stay with HP.

By the way, the 2.1 update run great on my Pre Plus, and I've heard it runs great on the Pre-. If they release a do it yourself upgrade, than so be it, but telling your customer base that basically "We no longer support the software that we previously done by those evil guys at Palm" is just a bunch of crap.
    That's great but they are doing a reboot of the line. Trying to throw extra resources, especially in the form of CS for EOL devices is simply not a good business decision. Since we did see a 2.1 doctor for one of the Euro Pluses maybe we'll still see doctor releases for the remaining carriers. If not they probably are going to assume that with all the 2.x doctors out there and the talent of the webos-internals, that the community will take care of itself for the remaining Pre/Pixi users.
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post
    It makes sense in an isolated view where spending resources on a small and shrinking user group (pre, pre+) owners is greatly outweighed by the development of essentially a new platform. However, HP is in a very weak position with consumer smartphones and risks becoming irrelevant by mid-year. Yes, their announced products look very promising, but they have an uphill battle with non-corporate users and third party developers.

HP is clearly focusing on the enterprise where they can leverage their existing business and they face a relatively weaker set of smartphone competition. Holding on to Pre and Pre+ users is not important for that market, so the business decision is easy - but not pleasant for us long time palm users.

For me, WebOS is the best OS, but having spent two days using an Android Moto Atix, I can say that hw and app wise, WebOS is in a very deep hole. No doubt that WebOS is, as a pure OS, better than Android. However, the total user experience with a dual core 1ghz processor Android 2.2 phone running on HSDPA blows the doors off my Sprint Pre. I hate to say it, but I will be using Android for a couple of years and watching if HP can catch up - I hope so, but I am not optimistic.

****ing off users is one thing, but they have also abandoned their developers who built on the prior dev platform. It's also a simple business decision for many of them. WebOS on the new dev platform is like starting over again - why invest the resources when Android, IoS, and even Windows 7 looks like a better business opportunity?

My conclusion, Ruby, the Palm management, and that long-haired investor freak may have done too much damage to upright the ship. It's a shame and makes me sad

Paul
    I wish I could yell at you and call you a troll but sigh your right. I love my pre plus and still am using it but I don't see HP having the apps out for the palm 3 which is the problem. People want smart phones with the common apps (sirius,espn, skype, etc.) If they can't even get these main ones how are they going to compete with the common folk (including myself) I love palm but not having howard on my pre when I know I can listen to him on a bb, iphone, or android is very frustrating right now. I mean we can wait and see and have faith which I am doing but the record right now with palm and hp is not stellar. Reminds me of the students that tells the teacher he's going to do his homework the teacher wants to believe him but the next day isn't shocked to discover he didn't do it. That's what I'm expecting.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Trying to throw extra resources, especially in the form of CS for EOL devices is simply not a good business decision.
    Overall I can't argue with that, but it's not universally ture. The only large scale case I can think of where a company spent resources to keep the legacy gear relevant is Nikon SLRs. Nikon kept the same lens mount for decades to not obsolete their older lenses, while Canon and others went to a newer mount with the promise of more capabilities. Nikon spent, reportedly, significant engineering resources to provide competitive capabilities while using the older size mount. In the end, it is a market differentiator for Nikon and they and Canon are the market leaders - so two different paths and both companies leading the market.

Paul
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    I wish I could yell at you and call you a troll but sigh your right. I love my pre plus and still am using it but I don't see HP having the apps out for the palm 3 which is the problem. People want smart phones with the common apps (sirius,espn, skype, etc.) If they can't even get these main ones how are they going to compete with the common folk (including myself) I love palm but not having howard on my pre when I know I can listen to him on a bb, iphone, or android is very frustrating right now. I mean we can wait and see and have faith which I am doing but the record right now with palm and hp is not stellar. Reminds me of the students that tells the teacher he's going to do his homework the teacher wants to believe him but the next day isn't shocked to discover he didn't do it. That's what I'm expecting.
    I actually feel bad for that being my conclusion. The real shame, in my opinion, is that they are missing their window of opportunity with consumers by about 3 months. I think they will do fairly well in the enterprise market.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by pluka View Post
    I actually feel bad for that being my conclusion. The real shame, in my opinion, is that they are missing their window of opportunity with consumers by about 3 months. I think they will do fairly well in the enterprise market.

Paul
    Don't feel bad because I agree with you. It makes me sad too but I haven't really seen anything from HP yet that is telling me ok webos is going to take off. Honest assessment sucks sometimes cus you don't get the answer you want.
    But Nikon wasn't trying to support something they gained from a business acquisition, were they? Plus they weren't trying to support something that had already been plagued with QA issues under previous management and might cause even more QA issues if they tried to plow it forward?

And even after all that, we're still not talking about the same kind of legacy support here. It sounds like you're talking about accessory gear which in actuality HP plans to continue supporting with the legacy touchstone support.
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I'd bet my favorite patch that it wasn't HP so much as the carriers that blocked the rollout of 2.x.

The carriers are the ones who handle the updates and service calls in this update model. HP needs to move away from OTA updates if it means being a slave tot he carriers wishes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast