Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I use a Mugen 1400MHA battery and easily get the day over with about 30-40% left. Drop it on the touchstone overnight and good to go next morning. And thats with 800mhz overclocking too. Only cost me about 20 inc delivery and was here from Hong Kong within the week - fantastic service.

John
    ex-Iphone 4 user - Palm Pre + (ex-O2 Unlocked using Nextgenserver, WebOS 2.1) and loving it.
    Mine will be hotter than a parking lot in the summer afternoon and run from 100% to 40% battery over a 30 minute bus ride with the music player going. (Overclocked. With overclocking off, it shuts itself off after freezing trying to receive a text while playing music.) Power button is gone. Screen is cracked and scratched. Top corner is chipped. Slider feels like it might crack in half any day now. Twists about a half inch either direction, and the slider closes about 1/4 inch further than the bottom of the keyboard. USB door gone. Stuck in headphone mode and can't get it out, so I am using speaker or headphones only now. Overall, it is a beat up POS, but in fairness I did throw it against a brick wall in rage, and I generally find punching the screen is the best way to fix any problem with it.
    A bit of the silver gilt just came off my card view button Not all of it, just the lower edge. Everything else works fine even though, and my launch-day O2 Pre Minus is now running 2.1. Quick and stable. Has been overclocked to 1GHz ever since that was possible.

My last two phones (HTC Charmer, HTC Herald) were nearly unusable after a year or so - the Charmer was losing its battery cover all the time, causing the phone to automatically switch off, and the Herald's screen was about 3-5 off center, depending on how you held it, and could be moved by a slight breeze. Its keyboard also stopped working after less than a year.
    Both of them had better battery life than my Pre, but then, neither of them had a 3G radio and I didn't have a data flat then, so I never had any data connection.

Knowing a bunch of other (German O2) Pre owners whose old Pres are holding up super-well just like mine, I only see a few possible options:
    1) Americans treat their phones like dirt, Europeans treat their phones like babies.
    2) European Pres were built much better and sturdier than American Pres.
    3) People complaining about Palm's build quality while holding up HTC, of all companies, as a shining paragon of excellence have never owned a HTC device, are straight-faced liars or are suffering from selective perception syndrome.
    4) Any combination of the above.
    5) Me and all of my Pre-wielding friends, acquaintances and coworkers were given the only flawless Pres ever built.
    ^^^ Lol its a phone not a baby and still I should be able to throw my phone on a desk without it cracking or shutting off. I don't know how old your HTC phones was but my Evo feel like a man compared to my old 'baby' fragile little tiny Pre.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    ^^^ Lol its a phone not a baby and still I should be able to throw my phone on a desk without it cracking or shutting off. I don't know how old your HTC phones was but my Evo feel like a man compared to my old 'baby' fragile little tiny Pre.
    Good thing you got rid of your Pre so you can feel a man
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Good thing you got rid of your Pre so you can feel a man
    Your dog is adorable.

If it's not actually your dog, it's still adorable.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks, she is

What a camera moment, huh
    Dan
    Mine is in almost perfect shape after more than a year. Just have to remember not to toss it on the couch or bed cause it slams the slider open. My wife's on the other hand fell apart in just a couple months, but she is crazy hard on her phones.
    USB door is gone and there is a little crack as a result.
    Everything works like it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by toby2010 View Post
    Mine will be hotter than a parking lot in the summer afternoon and run from 100% to 40% battery over a 30 minute bus ride with the music player going. (Overclocked. With overclocking off, it shuts itself off after freezing trying to receive a text while playing music.)
    Only saw this now...

<attempt at serious discussion> How is it at all possible that different users can have such incredibly disparate experiences?

Your battery example is a good one: a 60% battery drop in 30 minutes of listening music would be completely and utterly intolerable to me - but I take a train ride of just over two and a half hours every other week and regularly spend those two hours listening to music and reading. My Pre normally burns through about 40-60% of its battery over those two and a half hours, depending on whether I use the phone for anything but music or not.
    I should add that I use bluetooth headphones because I hate cables like the plague and normally have my phone overclocked to 1GHz but have Mode Switcher 'downclock' it to 800MHz when my headphones are connected in order to avoid overheating.
    This means that my battery life is at the very least about four to five times better than yours. And this forum is full of stories like yours.

The lone gunman inside my head wants to believe that 50% of stories like yours are astroturfed by the hatin' squad, but there's also that calm redhead in the corner of my cranial cavity telling me to quit believing such nonsense.

So while it's obvious that all devices are not created equal and that somebody will always get the chips from the bottom of the bin if you will, the ones that use more power to yield less performance, I reckon that such differences could maybe account for deviations by a few percent. But 400% and more? HOW?

Has anybody ever come up with a logical explanation for this? One that goes beyond "palm pos phone sux lol u should get an evo" if at all possible.
    Overheating seems to be the problem with this one. It is my 5th Pre (Two have been legitimate problems and two I have just broken), and I haven't had this bad of battery life with any of the others. It's also the first one I have used since moving to Iowa, where signal is few and far between (can't make calls except from the window sill in my apt, even with an air rave), so that may be a factor.

It also drops battery ridiculously while doing nothing. It's on the Touchstone until 3:30, when I teach. By 8:30 when I am done with (another) class, phone has done nothing but sit in my backpack for 5 hours, I have gone down to ~50%.
    On my first Pre minus bought in 2009. My power button is a little lower. Thats about it. Everything else works fine. Run uberkernal. I also have the mugen 1400 battery for about a year and a half now. I'll generally get about a full day use out of it. For those on train rides, i'm thinking the phone might be searching for signal during those times. Low signal drains battery fast.
    I bought mine the October after it got released. Power button and mute buttons don't work. Very slight Oreo effect. Earphone jack is touch and go, depending on the day. USB door is gone and a crack about 1/2" extends from there. Oddly enough, a matching crack is starting to develop on the opposite side. Hopefully the Pre 3 will be released before the cracks are able to re-enact the Golden Spike event.
    Mine is physically in good shape but, using govnah and overclocking it suddenly drains my battery in literally an hour. No battery warning or anything: all of a sudden a get a message that my phone will shut down shortly....urgh...
    mine has a piece of plastic chiped on both the left and right sides at the top, screenhas about 1,000,000 scratches over it, it randomly freezes up the usb cover is gone, there is a gap between the screen part and the keyboard part, the power button dosnt work, the headphone jack has a shortage, at times it touches itself makin me hang up on people, miss calls, and click links that I don't want to... It's not really overclocked and I don't have that many patches *waitin to hear about the evo3d*
    No USB flap
    Crack on corner of USB cutout
    Silver bar at center/top has cracked and lost one-half of itself

Yet, it still works fine...
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123