Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that I have my Pre 2, I would like to get rid of my Pre Plus for whatever I can get for it. How do I get the device completely reset to like new? I powered the phone on and I got as far as the "Palm Profile" screen, but I don't want to sign in, b/c I'm pretty sure that'll screw with my Pre 2. Will running WebOS Doctor reset it to factory conditions?
    pretty much. Create a profle, get into it and do a dull erase if you haven't yet
  3.    #3  
    I can't create a profile and sign in b/c the phone is not activated, so there's not service. I can't access the top bar menu to connect to wifi either.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I can't create a profile and sign in b/c the phone is not activated, so there's not service. I can't access the top bar menu to connect to wifi either.
    I'd use the doctor and then USB to remove everything such as pics and music.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'd use the doctor and then USB to remove everything such as pics and music.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    I've got it plugged into my laptop right now, but it's not recognizing as a USB device. I can't get the little menu asking if I want USB or Just Charge.
    You can use the device recovery tool it will bypass activation

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    You can use the device recovery tool it will bypass activation

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    And how do I access that?
  8.    #8  
    Well, I installed java, virtual box, webos sdk and the bypass activation tool. when i open a command line and typed the command: java -jar devicetool.jar i get the following response: 'JAVA' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

For kicks, I tried it from a command prompt and got this response: unable to access jarfile devicetool.jar

Is there really no straightforward way to just reset it to factory settings?
    Come on. If you do a google search for device recovery tool palm, the first result gives you this, the answer. I assume you are using Windows and have Java installed. You might need to unplug pre and restart your computer.

Booting into Recovery Mode

To flash a device with a webOS Doctor or to run the activation-bypass tool, you must first boot the device into recovery mode by performing the following steps:
    1.Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
    2.Remove the battery from the device.
    3.Hold down the device's volume up button.
    4.Insert the USB cable into the device.
    5.Re-insert the battery.
    6.Release the volume up button.

The device will boot into recovery mode, and you will see the USB logo on the device's screen. At this point, you may run either the webOS Doctor (to flash your device with the latest version of webOS) or the activation-bypass tool (to enable your unactivated device for development).
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Come on. If you do a google search for device recovery tool palm, the first result gives you this, the answer. I assume you are using Windows and have Java installed. You might need to unplug pre and restart your computer.

Booting into Recovery Mode

To flash a device with a webOS Doctor or to run the activation-bypass tool, you must first boot the device into recovery mode by performing the following steps:
    1.Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
    2.Remove the battery from the device.
    3.Hold down the device's volume up button.
    4.Insert the USB cable into the device.
    5.Re-insert the battery.
    6.Release the volume up button.

The device will boot into recovery mode, and you will see the USB logo on the device's screen. At this point, you may run either the webOS Doctor (to flash your device with the latest version of webOS) or the activation-bypass tool (to enable your unactivated device for development).
    Come on. I'm not having problems booting into recovery mode. I'm having trouble running the activation bypass tool.
  11.    #11  
    I have confirmed that java is installed. java -version in command prompt gives: java version "1.6.0.24". I have also confirmed that SDK is installed. I downloaded the activation bypass tool and extracted the files. I've tried the command, java -jar devicetool.jar, in command prompt, command line and cmd. Nothing works. It either says it can't cant access the file or that java is not recognized as a command.

This blows. Thanks to Palm for making it so easy to reset a device. I could have done this on my laptop in 10 minutes.
    Extract files from the activation bypass jar?
    Where does it say you have to do such a thing?

Install www.java.com
    Reboot to recovery mode
    Double click the device bypass tool, or start it via the command line

Access Device Info.
    Select the erase option of your preference.
  13.    #13  
    when I click on to download the activation bypass tool, it puts a zipped file on my desktop. the command wasn't finding any devicetool.jar file, so i opened the zipped folder and there's an option to extract the files. so i did that.
    when I click on to download the activation bypass tool, it puts a zipped file on my desktop. the command wasn't finding any devicetool.jar file, so i opened the zipped folder and there's an option to extract the files. so i did that.
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Java.
    Because if that were correct, it would have been part of the instruction right?

Also if you can find the device tool jar from the command line.
    - The extension may be missing
    - You may have made a typo
    - You may not be in the correct folder
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    The instructions aren't that great.

The command prompt says Java is installed, so that shouldn't be the problem, should it?

When I open a command line and type: java -jar devicetool.jar, I get the following result: 'JAVA' is not recognized as an external or internal command, operable program, or batch file.
  16.    #16  

Also if you can find the device tool jar from the command line.
    - The extension may be missing
    - You may have made a typo
    - You may not be in the correct folder
    What do you mean I may not be in the correct folder?
    Suppose the devicetool.jar is in the following folder.
    C:\Users\Rants\Yankboy\devicetool.jar

Click Start, type cmd, press Enter.
    cd C:\Users\Rants\Yankboy
    java -jar devicetool.jar
  18.    #18  
    Suppose the devicetool.jar is in the following folder.
    C:\Users\Rants\Yankboy\devicetool.jar

Click Start, type cmd, press Enter.
    cd C:\Users\Rants\Yankboy
    java -jar devicetool.jar
    Well, the file "devicetool" is saved on my desktop. When I open cmd, it says: C:\Users\Jason>

What exactly am I supposed to type after the >

I did take a computer class in college in 1996 and had to learn something about dos prompt or something, so I'm the best equipped.
    Open Windows Explorer. Go your desktop.
    Double click the address bar. That's your path.

You slept during that class.
  20.    #20  
    Well, the file "devicetool" is saved on my desktop. When I open cmd, it says: C:\Users\Jason>

What exactly am I supposed to type after the >

I did take a computer class in college in 1996 and had to learn something about dos prompt or something, so I'm the best equipped.
    edit...NOT the best equipped...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast