Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Open Windows Explorer. Go your desktop.
    Double click the address bar. That's your path.

You slept during that class.
    Ah, well I appreciate your help, but I'm not doing something right. I can get as far having it recognize the path to my desktop, but still can't get it to access the jarfile devicetool.jar.

I suppose I'd have only gotten $50 for the phone anyway.
  2.    #22  
    In any event, do I HAVE to go to activation bypass and erase my files from the phone? If I just run WebOS Doctor, will that clear everything off?
    no. The regular doctor does not erase the usb drive.
    turn on your phone, click emergency call, delete 911, type in ##devmode#, try now.
  5.    #25  
    In WebOS Doctor, it says "You will have to manually restore music, videos, documents and other information." Sounds like it wipes it clean?

Restarting the phone to try ##devmode#
  6.    #26  
    As soon as I press the last # it boots me from the phone back to the Palm Profile setup page.
  7.    #27  
    Oh well, I'll just run WebOS Doctor. If it erases music, videos and documents (and I assume pictures), that's all it'll take for me. As long as it removes all my patches and all as well, I guess I'm good.
    it does not remove music, videos, documents or pictures.

old doctors did
  9.    #29  
    I entered my s/n and it brought up the doctor version I need. When it loaded it said it removes videos etc. Why would they tell you it does if it doesnt?
    well I've doctored many times and unless it was a much older doctor or a 2.x doctor I keep my usb stuff.
  11.    #31  
    The weekend is apparently not a good time to have phone problems. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    The weekend is apparently not a good time to have phone problems. haha
    Reinstall Java.
    Reboot in recovery mode.
    Double click devicetool.jar.

Have you tried that? I know the new instructions read " from the command line " but if you have java installed, there's no reason why doubleclicking it won't work.

If doubleclicking does not work:
    Reboot in recovery mode.

Click Start
    Type: services.msc and press Enter
    Locate the Palm Novacom service, rightclick and select Restart

Copy the file to C:\PALM\JASON (or any other short&easy path)
    Click Start
    Type cmd and press Enter
    Copy&Paste: cd C:\PALM\JASON (or same path as above)
    Copy&Paste: java -jar devicetool.jar
    Press Enter
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Reinstall Java.
    Reboot in recovery mode.
    Double click devicetool.jar.

Have you tried that? I know the new instructions read " from the command line " but if you have java installed, there's no reason why doubleclicking it won't work.

If doubleclicking does not work:
    Reboot in recovery mode.

Click Start
    Type: services.msc and press Enter
    Locate the Palm Novacom service, rightclick and select Restart

Copy the file to C:\PALM\JASON (or any other short&easy path)
    Click Start
    Type cmd and press Enter
    Copy&Paste: cd C:\PALM\JASON (or same path as above)
    Copy&Paste: java -jar devicetool.jar
    Press Enter
    I'm going to uninstall and reinstall everything. When I click to download the bypass activation tool, I just get a zipped folder on the desktop named "devicetool". It has 3 folders in it: com, meta-inf, org. I don't see anything devicetool.jar to doubleclick on.
  14.    #34  
    Are you kidding me???? All I had to do was save the devicetool.zip file, go to computer, click alt, then tools, then view, then uncheck "hide file extensions". Then go to where I'd saved devicetool.zip and change the extenstion to .jar. THEN that stupid java -jar devicetool.jar worked in about 2 seconds. Why the HECK does that file save as a .zip when it's supposed to be .jar? So much for the old adage "when all else fails, follow the instructions." I supposed it should be changed to "when all else fails, completely disregard the instructions because they don't mean anything."

A HUGE thanks to you GuyFromNam. It was your tip in another thread about changing the file extension (someone else was having the exact same problem as me). Once I saw that, I just googled how to change file extensions and now it's done.

Who knew such a simple thing could be so frustrating.
  15.    #35  
    New question:

I bypassed activation and was able to start the phone and do a full erase. I wanted to go back in to see if all my files were erased, but cmd wouldn't recognize a device when I typed the java -jar devicetool.jar command. So I ran WebOS Doctor again, then was able to use the bypass activation tool. When the phone started it up, it showed that I had a voicemail. I thought this was weird, so I tapped to check the voicemail and I got an operator telling me how to make a collect call. Also, in device info it still shows my phone number there. Any way to change that?
    You're welcome.
    Just one of those system-situation-dependent things you simply can't take into account.
    Try downloading again, see if it downloads as zip again.
    Thanks, YankBoy!

This is an old thread, but I have been searching all over the place for a solution to the problem of not being able to get that java command to work on the devicetool.jar zipped (or unzipped) file. Kept getting an error many others did, and no one anywhere described the true experience when the bypass tool actually worked, so it was a black hole with no answers that satisfied.

But changing the file extension to 'jar' finally did work, woohoo! Many java generated responses, and one of them said 'rebooting device...device is ready.'

Nothing uncertain about that!

It is too bad the instructions do not inform about this file extension change being needed, and nobody has a clue, unless they are familiar with java. I even saw an answer in one of these forums that told the user they must already have their device past the activation stage. Nope, they did not, they would have known it!

It is a whole new world on your device when the bypass activation tool has truly worked.
    I can see all the colorful icons on my Pre Plus, for the first time.

Wish this could be pasted onto those instructions, which to be fair, are meant for developers, not persons simply wanting to use their device as w-fi only, no phone. So happy I kept searching for the answer!

karmica
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12