• Succeeded but with issues . -_-

6 11.11%
  • Afraid to try

15 27.78%
  • Don't care, waiting for new pre/other phone

4 7.41%
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

I know a lot of people has been busy trying to update Pre Minus to 2.1.
    I'm interested to know the successful stories and the not so successful one especially on a GSM Pre Minus. I have read some would have no problem with the profile and some do have issues. Would you mind letting us know :

1) Any issue with Palm Profile?
    2) Any lag / performance issue?
    3) Any bug?
    4) Happy / Sad ?

I would really appreciate for your effort. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I have built the meta doctor but will not try until:
    1. We can overclock
    2. Can install and run Sprint Navigation
    3. We can see all apps Catalog for 2.0
    4. Certain that I will not kill my palm profile.

Number 1 and 2 are my musts before i decide to switch.
    Flashed 2.0.1 on my O2 german Pre - and there are lots of bugs that I dont know if they happen on other phones too:

- If I receive an SMS from a number that I have in my contacts but without the international indicative the message app doesn't associate the sms to that person.

- can't delete SMS's one by one.

- Preware does not recognize that I'm not using 1.4.5 and shows only patches for that version.
  4.    #4  
    One of my biggest concern from updating would be how will it affect the battery life. Read somewhere although the speed is blazing fast but the battery drain is unbelievable.

Would love for those who had updated to shed some light on this. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gguile View Post
    One of my biggest concern from updating would be how will it affect the battery life. Read somewhere although the speed is blazing fast but the battery drain is unbelievable.

Would love for those who had updated to shed some light on this. Thanks.
    Seems about the same to me. I've only used 2.1 for a few days so I can't really comment on it.
    The bugs I encountered were when I received a SMS there was no vibration or noise .

Performance was poor, just sluggish and a lot of input lag when messaging. Things that could be done under stock 1.4.5 such as listening to music and playing angry birds for example resulting in stuttering under 2.1 in angry birds

Hitting the to many to many cards open was easy. Messaging app open and trying to open auction mate pro resulting in this error message popping up

While 2.1 looks like a nice improvement over 1.4.5, it was just unusable for me due to the speed. Have now downgraded back to 1.4.5 stock which is much faster on my pre -
    The bugs I encountered were when I received a SMS there was no vibration or noise .

Performance was poor, just sluggish and a lot of input lag when messaging. Things that could be done under stock 1.4.5 such as listening to music and playing angry birds for example resulting in stuttering under 2.1 in angry birds

Hitting the to many to many cards open was easy. Messaging app open and trying to open auction mate pro resulting in this error message popping up

While 2.1 looks like a nice improvement over 1.4.5, it was just unusable for me due to the speed. Have now downgraded back to 1.4.5 stock which is much faster on my pre -
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    2.1 on a Pre- is only usable with Uberkernel and Govnah. Without overclock, you'll basically just experience what Hairless described above.

Let me tell you, with UK the speed and battery life of the Pre- is improved significantly, although there are a few bugs - most you won't find after a couple of resets though.

If you're not comfortable with meta-doctoring just yet, it's not a problem if you wait it out for a bit. 2.1 is super smooth but you're not missing out on anything groundbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by glorifiedg View Post
    Flashed 2.0.1 on my O2 german Pre - and there are lots of bugs that I dont know if they happen on other phones too:

- If I receive an SMS from a number that I have in my contacts but without the international indicative the message app doesn't associate the sms to that person.

- can't delete SMS's one by one.

- Preware does not recognize that I'm not using 1.4.5 and shows only patches for that version.
    Try changing the country code of your phone in the Regional Settings app. Not sure if it works just yet, but mine was set to +44 (United Kingdom) instead of +61 (Australia).

Re: your third point, you didn't do step 5 in the upgrade. I made the same mistake - just try again (you don't have to re-doctor, just do step 5 ONLY)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I installed 2.1 on my o2 germany palm pre minus. No Problems!
    Not even problems with my profile. I just installed it over my old profile. After the update my palm installed my apps and configurations.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Updated my sprint pre - to 2.1.

-Activated and downloaded paid apps without issues.

-Slower than 1.4.5 on some tasks like messaging and camera application but launcher seems quicker. The F105A kernel really helps with performance but is a battery hog.

3) Any bug?
    -Not being able to update PRL

4) Happy / Sad ?
    -Over all happy, I wouldn't go back to 1.4.5 and will wait for some of my favorite patches to be updated to 2.1 compatible.
    - No problems here.

-Initially yes, now with over clocking with Uberkernel - no problems with performance. It's pretty snappy. Battery life is the same with this kernel for me.

3) Any bug?
    -Concur with updating PRL issue that everyone has. Hope it can be fixed somehow

4) Happy / Sad ?
    -Overall I am pretty happy, and now I can wait for pre3.
    I voted Afraid to try
    but last week I did it anyway.
    And full success
    So count -1 on Afraid to try...and +1 on Succeeded with no issue. YAY!!

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    My story:

Didn't try to use the old one, created a new one just in case ill want to go back to 1.4.5 and the profile dose not contain any relay useful data to me (i can add manually contact/email accounts)

It's definitely slower, noticeably, but Govnah and 500/1000 screen state kernel makes it more user friendly Well the Palm/HP said that is just not that powerful for 2.x, but its still useful

3) Any bug?

No so far, only annoying thing that borders me is that "Pre fixing penguin every time" I restart my Pre but that's meta-doctor.

4) Happy / Sad ?
    I'm sad because I've "lost" (unable to bring up to 2.1) all my messages and call log (I was holding on that since 2009-Nov so it was loooong...) I have messages in HTML file, but that's not the same...
    Happy since i now have 2.1 on my phone

Is it worth it? Not sure: you wont use Flash that much (and you have to get it there first), believe me I've tried, but the option is good to have. Google maps was (on 1.4.5) and is slow now for me on 2G connection, so that's disappointment.
    Most of the apps are running fine on 1.4.5, so there is no added value there for me (Preware and "IPK fetcher" are the ones I use, so app catalog not a big thing for me either).

A lot of patches are still not working, but progress is there

So I would say, if your phone is ready for re-flashing, make it a 2.1 this time and try it for your self, and if something, go back to good, old, stable, and snapper Palm webOS 1.4.5
    Quote Originally Posted by sm07 View Post
    Try changing the country code of your phone in the Regional Settings app. Not sure if it works just yet, but mine was set to +44 (United Kingdom) instead of +61 (Australia).
    No luck. :S

Is there anyway to manually add a code? (+351 Portugal)
    I voted succeeded with no issues.

Followed the webos internals guide and it was as easy as pie.

It does feel a wee bit buggy though. I'm overclocked on uberkernel+ and I do have frequent 'slowdown to a 15 minute crawl' issue, meaning it doesnt crash or freeze, but its that tiny step away from freezing being soooo slow and unresponsive.

Other than that, everything works, including flash, which is rather slick until it causes one of the slowdowns mentioned.