1.    #1  
    Hello.. I have a Palm Pre, Verizon, and yesterday I realized the headset it came with can be used to talk on the phone. Pretty cool since I never knew and it works great. Now I don't know how to turn of the wired headset mode. My only option is speaker or headset. I would like to be able to get it back to regular "hold it to my head" mode.

Can anyone help?

--Tom
    you appear to be stuck in headset mode.

start by shutting phone down and remove battery for a few minutes. Replace and turn it on. If tjat doesn't fix it, open the device info app and run the interactive tests.

if it is still not working, probably a hardware issue. Aound here you will find some threads describing how to try cleaning contacts with a q-tip/alchohol, plugging/unplugging the connector, etc.

if those don't resolve it, make sure you are backed up and call vzw. Tey will take you through several resets/erases and then send you a replacement...
  3.    #3  
    Working on it. Thanks for your help
  4.    #4  
    Nothing worked... I called Verizon and worked with the Tech Dude and they are going to send me a new Pre. I asked about the Pre2 and I would have to pay for it. I will wait for upgrade time.

cantaffordit-- thanks for your help
    ask if they would move your upgrade date and pay the upgrade cost... Ya never know!
    ps, make sure you back everything up.

do you have preware installed?

and make sure the palm backup app has been run manually before switching phones.
    95% of the time, all you have to do is insert the headphones, place a call and while connected on the call, remove the headphones. There is a strong possibility your replacement Pre will eventually have the same issue. 4 of my 7 Pre's have had the issue. The one I'm currently using will not get out of headset mode for anything except an app that a dev started to make (but gave up on) called The Ghastly Headset. The app can force the phone out of headset mode, however, after making a call, it reverts back to headset mode and you have to click the button to force it out again. I'm just going to deal with it till the HPre3 comes out because if I use my insurance claim one more time, they will cut me off...
  8.    #8  
    I do have preware installed and I have the back up set automatically. I manually backed up before I called Verizon. Will I be able to reload the back up to the new phone?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    95% of the time, all you have to do is insert the headphones, place a call and while connected on the call, remove the headphones. There is a strong possibility your replacement Pre will eventually have the same issue. 4 of my 7 Pre's have had the issue. The one I'm currently using will not get out of headset mode for anything except an app that a dev started to make (but gave up on) called The Ghastly Headset. The app can force the phone out of headset mode, however, after making a call, it reverts back to headset mode and you have to click the button to force it out again. I'm just going to deal with it till the HPre3 comes out because if I use my insurance claim one more time, they will cut me off...
    I tired pulling the jack out during a call, it disconnects... My wifes Pre is kinda beat up. I am going to see if I can get hers stuck in headset mode so she can get a shiney new one now.
    in prepared you want to open the app menu and update the saved package list. Then install the app called save/restore. That backs up your app data - including your preware patches etc. Then copy everything from the usb partition to your pc. Copy it back to your replacement, run save/restore, the recover saved package list, and rebuilding your custom rig is almost effortless!
  11.    #11  
    OK. I installed save/restore and ran the app. Where in the USB partition will it be? The new Pre won't have the save/restore app so how will it restore everything? Won't I have to reinstall Preware and then the save/restore app?
    Had this problem with my pixi and i just plugged and unplugged the headset jack many time and it worked and has not done it since i did that and i listen to music everyday from my pixi.
    that was an early uggestion. If it didn't work, then he called vzw.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamjnz View Post
    OK. I installed save/restore and ran the app. Where in the USB partition will it be? The new Pre won't have the save/restore app so how will it restore everything? Won't I have to reinstall Preware and then the save/restore app?
    plug it into a pc, put it in usbmode, and use the pc to copy from the phone..
    I was just thinking if he did it for like 30 seconds it might work like really fast.
    sometimes that works, and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what is causing it.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    plug it into a pc, put it in usbmode, and use the pc to copy from the phone..
    I am not sure what I am looking to copy over to the computer. I plugged into the computer and selected USB mode. Now I am exploring the Palm Pre as a removable drive. I can't find anything with the time and date stamp when I save/restored...

What am I looking for?
  18.    #18  
    I just figured it out. thanks cantaffordit.