Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    So, I've been thinking about it...
    HP didn't want to put in the extra resources to release 2.x on older devices...
    could HP have just been thinking "if we don't do it, we know someone in homebrew will...so what's the point?"
    I could be extending it too far...but maybe they knew it would be on older devices anyway
    just a thought...
    I think you might be extending it too far. The answer was more simple: HP decided to focus its time and resources on making 2.x better for future devices. It's a hard truth, but it is what it is.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I doubt that only because companies dont really do that kind of thing. And why not just send it to internals if that was the case? Who knows tho.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

I think the fact that they called them "legacy" devices is very telling. To me this means "old & mostly unsupported." they have already mentaly washed their hands of the old Pre/Pixis.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurgling View Post
    I think the fact that they called them "legacy" devices is very telling. To me this means "old & mostly unsupported." they have already mentaly washed their hands of the old Pre/Pixis.
    If that's the case, why are some of these "unsupported" devices getting webOS 2.1?

Sadly, it seems more like carrier pushback on this.
    Is HP officially NOT going to release 2.x to Pre/Pre+ ?

If so, this is VERY bad marketing. This will prove that even though a device is capable of future updates, the company will not support a device past it's roll out lifetime (about a year or less). Most of us sign up for 2 year contracts for new phones so we can now expect one year of updates on a new device before it is given up on.

Why should I stay with the HP/Pre if when my contract is up, the device offered is 1 year old? Hint... Hint... "We'll give you the latest device, but won't support it anymore becuase we are working on the next generation..."
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoach View Post
    Is HP officially NOT going to release 2.x to Pre/Pre+ ?

If so, this is VERY bad marketing. This will prove that even though a device is capable of future updates, the company will not support a device past it's roll out lifetime (about a year or less). Most of us sign up for 2 year contracts for new phones so we can now expect one year of updates on a new device before it is given up on.

Why should I stay with the HP/Pre if when my contract is up, the device offered is 1 year old? Hint... Hint... "We'll give you the latest device, but won't support it anymore becuase we are working on the next generation..."
    Feel free to switch to Android and get a new version of the OS with almost every phone release *snickers* :P. 2.x may run on "legacy" devices but it isnt as smooth as 1.4.5 on my pre -. in the testing ive done and I am back to 1.4.5 atm due to all my customizations I get here. I am very happy with my phone.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Feel free to switch to Android and get a new version of the OS with almost every phone release *snickers* :P. 2.x may run on "legacy" devices but it isnt as smooth as 1.4.5 on my pre -. in the testing ive done and I am back to 1.4.5 atm due to all my customizations I get here. I am very happy with my phone.
    You say 2.x, but was it 2.0 or 2.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    You say 2.x, but was it 2.0 or 2.1?
    Pre 2 or illegal doctor = 2.0.1

Pre + doctor for O2/meta doctored = 2.1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

It's a conspiracy!!!!!@#rq#t%$
    You guys tells that the Pre - is not a old device, but on the market it is...

256MB of ram, 500mhz processor...now the rule is 1GhZ.
    HP is not a phone brand at the origin, and they want to develop 2.x on new devices, and more precisely, on UP TO DATE devices (1.4Ghz Processor..)

So we can cry, or try to bypass this with means as metadoctor, but i you were the Boss of HP, you know that you need to go up, to the next step.
    a
    Just be realist ..
    Actually running on Palm Pre Plus - France -
    Next phone : Palm Pre 2/3? ! WebOs Rules!
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous691 View Post
    You guys tells that the Pre - is not a old device, but on the market it is...

256MB of ram, 500mhz processor...now the rule is 1GhZ.
    HP is not a phone brand at the origin, and they want to develop 2.x on new devices, and more precisely, on UP TO DATE devices (1.4Ghz Processor..)

So we can cry, or try to bypass this with means as metadoctor, but i you were the Boss of HP, you know that you need to go up, to the next step.
    a
    Just be realist ..
    What is not realistic is to own a phone which costs $600.00 and after about 18 months, be told that the manufacturer no longer supports your device.

Would you be OK if Microsoft stopped supporting your computer OS after 18 months? You can buy a computer for less than $600.00 .
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    It sounds like webOS 2.1 WILL be available on "legacy" devices, thanks to webOSinternals.

So far, it's taken them about 2, 3 weeks... and it's already in alpha.

Granted, these guys are wildly talented, but if they could do it, HP sure _could_ have too. (but, doing it, would have meant re-directing resources to legacy devices, delaying finishing the Veer, TouchPad and Pre3. ...and I'll bet HP knew, (based on previous work), that webOSInternals _would_ do it, if HP didn't.

That way, HP could focus all resources on the new projects... i.e. Veer, TouchPad and Pre3 and webOS's 2.1 and 3.0.
    well it's funny: our old pre- with webos 2.1 and its 600mhz is more snappy than some 1ghz+ android devices i have seen. on mobile devices i think ghz are not so important. more it is the question how optimized the os is for the particular devices. compare old iphones with todays overpowered android devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    It sounds like webOS 2.1 WILL be available on "legacy" devices, thanks to webOSinternals.

So far, it's taken them about 2, 3 weeks... and it's already in alpha.

Granted, these guys are wildly talented, but if they could do it, HP sure _could_ have too. (but, doing it, would have meant re-directing resources to legacy devices, delaying finishing the Veer, TouchPad and Pre3. ...and I'll bet HP knew, (based on previous work), that webOSInternals _would_ do it, if HP didn't.

That way, HP could focus all resources on the new projects... i.e. Veer, TouchPad and Pre3 and webOS's 2.1 and 3.0.
    the reason WebOS internals is able to do it, it's because HP did release 2.1 to SOME legacy devices. Almost surely, the reason it's was some has to do with the carriers.

I bet sprint would rather us pre- users upgrade our phones than get the new update.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Isnt this exactly what Android is doing? I dont understand the whole issue here. So what a device made almost 2 years ago is not getting the newest version of WebOS. Go to ANY other platform and see if it doesnt work the exact same way.

I said it before and I will say it again. Sprint will get new WebOS devices and I am more concerned about getting new hardware than new software at this point. I am on my 8th Pre replacement (not that I have been hard on them) but the hardware is crap and I am ready for something better!

I mean honestly try installing Windows 7 on a PC meant for Windows 2000... yea its gonna run but like crap unless you upgrade the hardware. I understand the issue is that HP/Palm said that older devices would get the update, but I'd rather have my Pre- run the way it does now w/ Patches and OC'd than a piece of crap hardware running software not optimized for it!

Well that is my 2 cents...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Isnt this exactly what Android is doing? I dont understand the whole issue here. So what a device made almost 2 years ago is not getting the newest version of WebOS. Go to ANY other platform and see if it doesnt work the exact same way.

I said it before and I will say it again. Sprint will get new WebOS devices and I am more concerned about getting new hardware than new software at this point. I am on my 8th Pre replacement (not that I have been hard on them) but the hardware is crap and I am ready for something better!

I mean honestly try installing Windows 7 on a PC meant for Windows 2000... yea its gonna run but like crap unless you upgrade the hardware. I understand the issue is that HP/Palm said that older devices would get the update, but I'd rather have my Pre- run the way it does now w/ Patches and OC'd than a piece of crap hardware running software not optimized for it!

Well that is my 2 cents...
    but that's actually not the case. webos2 runs even better and faster than 1.4.5. you know, palm developed webos2 for a long time especially for our pre- and pre+. it IS optimized for our legacy hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by chopstick View Post
    but that's actually not the case. webos2 runs even better and faster than 1.4.5. you know, palm developed webos2 for a long time especially for our pre- and pre+. it IS optimized for our legacy hardware.
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    PSN:KlutchScope
    Xbox Gamertag:KlutchScope
    Follow me on Twitter
    AT&T|Palm Pre Plus

"Fact, bears, beets, BattleStar Galactica."- From "The Office", Jim impersonating Dwight
    obviously HP wants to force existing pre/pre+ users to upgrade to pre3, and pay more $$$ to them.

Its so business as usual, why do people even forget that HP is a multi billion company who cares more about profit and just hired Meg Whitman?

To imagine HP "makes decisions complete based on consideration of whats best for their customers" is just naive.
    i just discussed with my friend about the reasons and came to the conclusion that the jump from 1.4.5 to 2.1 is TOO GOOD.
    you gain incredibly many features in this update:

- absolutely great touchscreen performance (better than many other current devices. our device has a 5 point multitouch, remember?)
    - very improved battery life
    - gpu acceleration (smoothness)
    - updated web-technologies (html5 (and originally flash))
    - voice dial
    - exhibition
    - card stacks
    - spelling correction
    - just type (absolutely great feature)
    - quick office
    - some other stuff

hello? what's that for a ridiculous UPDATE? to gain these features we would normally buy a new phone!

it's obvious that the problems lies within the carriers. they thought is: those who update to webos 2.1 will likely not buy a new phone so fast.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast