Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    ... and i'm a little freaked out.

i went into the verizon store to complain about the gps not working, considering the new pre2 has a fully functional gps. the rep called tech support, who gave her another number for "google maps support" because she said the tech support could not help with it because it is a 3rd party app. she had me call the number.

the number was still a verizon number, but i got a very polite/helpful woman on the phone who had me press *2something on my phone and hit send (now i wish i wrote down what exactly that number was, because it doesn't show up in my recent calls list!). then i had to hit option 2, and it proceeded to "update software" on my phone for a few minutes.

after this, she had me check the gps settings on my phone, to have them all turned on (including the one about background info collection, which i'm not particularly down with). they were all on except that one, which i turned on.

and viola, google maps has my location pinned down. even after i drove back home from the store, it still works.... it's freaking me out. could it be that easy?

also, question: if i now doctor my phone back to factory (because of some patches i never uninstalled properly - just reset the phone instead, there's some funky glitches happening), is this going to re-break the gps?
    You play the viola? LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist. If it's that easy, why have they been making people suffer with it for so long?

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You play the viola? LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist. If it's that easy, why have they been making people suffer with it for so long?

its vzw.. you really need to ask that ??
    VZW probably told to you dial *228, then option 2 which basically updates your Preferred Roaming List. I am not sure how that will fix your GPS.

Answers to FAQs

I just updated my PRL on my Verizon Pre Plus and the latest PRL on my phone is 52220. Go to Device Info, then select "More Info" and you can see what version PRL is on your phone.

I keep my Pre usually up to date and usually does not affect my GPS for better or worse...
    Quote Originally Posted by aferlynn View Post
    ... and i'm a little freaked out.

i went into the verizon store to complain about the gps not working, considering the new pre2 has a fully functional gps. the rep called tech support, who gave her another number for "google maps support" because she said the tech support could not help with it because it is a 3rd party app. she had me call the number.

the number was still a verizon number, but i got a very polite/helpful woman on the phone who had me press *2something on my phone and hit send (now i wish i wrote down what exactly that number was, because it doesn't show up in my recent calls list!). then i had to hit option 2, and it proceeded to "update software" on my phone for a few minutes.

after this, she had me check the gps settings on my phone, to have them all turned on (including the one about background info collection, which i'm not particularly down with). they were all on except that one, which i turned on.

and viola, google maps has my location pinned down. even after i drove back home from the store, it still works.... it's freaking me out. could it be that easy?

also, question: if i now doctor my phone back to factory (because of some patches i never uninstalled properly - just reset the phone instead, there's some funky glitches happening), is this going to re-break the gps?
    Any chance you can follow-up on this and find out exactly what you did? You'd be helping out TONS of people.
    *228 is the number you call for programming and option 2 is for updating the PRL.
    *22890 is for smartphones software updates
    its ok.. dont believe me .. i dare ya to try it
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    *22890 is for smartphones software updates
    Yes but when you dial *22890 you are not prompted to press 2 which means that this doesn't synch up with what he belives fixed his problems.

I would be interested to see if this "fix" continues to work or if it was a fluke. I have had every manner of patch (other than those that require tinkering down at the QPST level) applied to my unit at one time or another and all have seemed to help but haven't been reliable in the long term.

What's interesting is that I pay for VZ Navigator and find it really astonishing to see its effect on GPS accuracy. It's nearly instant and nearly perfect.

that worked.

after a yr of fighting, the solution is/was that easy??? Or did vzw suddenly enable agps for webos users? Or is this a temp thing like all the other gps fixes?

someone notify precentral front page...
    I'd guess the problem always had to do with their server responses and they probably had to finally let them work properly to be allowed to carry the iPhone.

Though it's also possible this could be related initially to the Google Navigator update that was being used as a major selling point for Android devices. I personally noticed an improvement in GPS performance back around November/December.
    Last edited by Orion Antares; 02/23/2011 at 01:39 PM.
    I had a period from December through early January where I could not get a good lock, trying every trick and every patch at my disposal.

Then, suddenly, about a month ago, GPS just started working. It has been pretty consistent since then. There have been a couple of times when I didn't get the lock, but I didn't keep the app open for a long time, maybe it just needed a few more minutes.

BFG Maps has been working very well too...better than Google Maps I would say. The concept about the iPhone...maybe that did have something to do with it?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    its vzw.. you really need to ask that ??
    Only used them once, for not even a week, when I was first carrier shopping. Got absolutely no service where I was in PA, so never used them, again.

Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

that worked.

after a yr of fighting, the solution is/was that easy??? Or did vzw suddenly enable agps for webos users? Or is this a temp thing like all the other gps fixes?

someone notify precentral front page...
    What worked?
    My wife's unmodified VZW PrePlus set as described and updated with both *228 option 2 and *22890 is unchanged. (EDIT - I think it is unchanged. I will have to monitor a little longer. Pre-reboot it was waaay off - upon reboot her fix was quick and accurate but that's not unheard of...)

I think this is wishful thinking.
    I still don't get what people are doing. *228 is just roaming stuff. *22890 was some programming thing, but it said it updated my phone in like 5 seconds. The OP said he selected option #2, but you don't to select any options with *22890.
    Well, I've got no clue what everyone else is doing. I did *228 and selected option 2 and did *22890. Then I powered down and did a battery pull and restarted my phone. Google maps is unable to determine my current location.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    ok so i believe it might have been *228 - it was a short number. but anyway it completely fixed the gps in all programs - until i restarted the phone just a few minutes ago. sorry for the false alarm...
    ...enabled Google services and background data collection and it now places me about 3 city blocks away from my actual location. Looks like a fluke for the OP and not a real fix at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast