Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by aferlynn View Post
    ok so i believe it might have been *228 - it was a short number. but anyway it completely fixed the gps in all programs - until i restarted the phone just a few minutes ago. sorry for the false alarm...
    Ha...no problem. You just got all our hopes up and then mercilessly dashed them.
    I did both. Did not do a reboot or battery pull. Opened Google Maps and it pin pointed my location within 500 feet. I will check again tomorrow when I leave the house for work or if I go out tonight to another location.
    Hmmm...not sure I'd call "within 500 feet" accurate. Guess it's better than no fix at all though.
    Holy crap. I just put my Pre+ in airplane mode. Turned off google services, turned on wifi (so maps can download) and gps radio.

google maps locked my position in a few seconds, and is within a few feet of my location... and I am in my house.

I hadn't messed with this in a long time because it seemed pointless. I have the aGPS blocker patch running, but it's been on my phone for a long time.

I don't know what to think about this... but it's not what I was expecting.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Well, I've got no clue what everyone else is doing. I did *228 and selected option 2 and did *22890. Then I powered down and did a battery pull and restarted my phone. Google maps is unable to determine my current location.
    do you have the aGPS blocker patch running?
    Hmmm...not sure I'd call "within 500 feet" accurate. Guess it's better than no fix at all though.
    I thought you got a Pre2? Didn't I read that in a thread a few days ago? Maybe it was yesterday and you don't have it yet? Anyway, doesn't GPS work with the VZW Pre2?

EDIT: Boy, I realized I sure ask a lot of questions!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Mine is currently spitting out garbage that is 3.5 miles from where I am...

I tried the airplane mode trick mentioned - not any better. I suspect I'm in very poor GPS area at the moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    do you have the aGPS blocker patch running?
    No. But what good does it do to have the phone in airplane mode? That doesn't help when out and about town and not near a wireless signal.
    No. But what good does it do to have the phone in airplane mode? That doesn't help when out and about town and not near a wireless signal.
    Just installed the aGPS blocker patch, did a luna restart, switched to airplane mode, turned on wifi and gps. Still has me a couple blocks away from where I am. Oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Holy crap. I just put my Pre+ in airplane mode. Turned off google services, turned on wifi (so maps can download) and gps radio.

google maps locked my position in a few seconds, and is within a few feet of my location... and I am in my house.

I hadn't messed with this in a long time because it seemed pointless. I have the aGPS blocker patch running, but it's been on my phone for a long time.

I don't know what to think about this... but it's not what I was expecting.
    Google's location services pinpointed your wifi address?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I thought you got a Pre2? Didn't I read that in a thread a few days ago? Maybe it was yesterday and you don't have it yet? Anyway, doesn't GPS work with the VZW Pre2?

EDIT: Boy, I realized I sure ask a lot of questions!
    Ha, asking questions is pretty much all I do around here. But, yes, I am getting a Pre 2. It's actually sitting at home waiting on me right now. I have church at 7 tonight so I may not get it all set up before then, but we'll see how the GPS works when I do get it working.
    But no GPS ever gets my house accurate. They all tell be to drive past my home. So that is no big deal.
    Ha, asking questions is pretty much all I do around here. But, yes, I am getting a Pre 2. It's actually sitting at home waiting on me right now. I have church at 7 tonight so I may not get it all set up before then, but we'll see how the GPS works when I do get it working.
    I suggest you take both Pre and Pre2 with you to church...perhaps a special blessing on the old version may improve its GPS? And it's just a nice habit to start your Pre2 on when they are young!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    how accurate should gps be? even now i'm getting a lock within 4-5 houses of my actual location.. but it fades in and out. one minute it the little blue bubble will be within 6 houses, another minute it will be huge (miles i'm assuming).

how can you tell how accurate of a lock you have to begin with? i don't see that option in google maps.

i fully plan on going back to the verizon store again tonight to complain again about it not working, and how the fix they gave me was only temporary. i just need to know how accurate it -should- be so that they don't try to cop out again!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    a side note - the whole reason i'm suddenly pitching a fit about my gps not working is so that i can use it for geocaching.. something i've never done before. so i need it to be as accurate as a gps can be if i'm walking around on foot
    Turning on Google Location always yields some good results, but it's not true GPS and *not* a replacement for the hardware GPS that VZW has apparently crippled through some software mandates. (For example, it doesn't provide velocity or altitude info.) It also relies on a not-always-reliable database of locations of access points.

Unless one has turned off Google Location, fully powered off the Pre Plus, powered it back on, and turned on just the hardware GPS, one doesn't get a valid test of whether it's working. That's what we all did when we discovered the VZW crippling, which (you'll recall) VZW didn't deny, and nothing VZW has done since appears to have resolved it for the Pre Plus. I'm still waiting to get my VZW Pre 2 and put it through its paces to test. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    well, the saga continues on my pre plus.

I was driving around tonight and gmaps was working perfectly fast lock, perfect tracking. I've never seen gmaps work so well.

google services turrned off. agps blocking patch installed.

my mom used to say "iff it don't stink, don't stir it"... -so I stirred it. I removed the agps and restarted. That's the only change. Can't get a lock after 30 minutes. Just reinstalled the patch, and STLL can't get a location. I have a few more things to try, but that's not the start I was hoping for...
    To the OP's point: *228 option 2 updates the PRL list, which i believe is a list of what towers are for Verizon, and where they are. If the OP had a new tower (or a couple new towers) installed nearby, this could improve aGPS, i believe. This is the same as *22899. I would recommend doing this at least monthly so that you get the benefit of new VZW towers.

*228 option 1 is phone activation, same as *22890. I don't think this will have any impact on your signal.

As to why *22899 may have helped the OP, here is my theory: aGPS uses the cell towers to help get an actual GPS lock. (See this about aGPS Wikipedia - aGPS). Updating the PRL could definitely help aGPS to work better, and therefore help the GPS to get a lock quicker. My understanding is that data must be turned on to get aGPS to work well.

If anyone more knowledgeable about this than i am can add to what i've said i'd be interested to read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I suggest you take both Pre and Pre2 with you to church...perhaps a special blessing on the old version may improve its GPS? And it's just a nice habit to start your Pre2 on when they are young!
    Ha...just read this comment.
    Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as everybody else. What seems to work for me sometimes is the "opening of VZ Navigator and then go back into google Maps trick"..... It is really frustrating. I got the phone about 9 months ago and moved from Blackberry, and really like WebOS, but this phone has given me more frustration than any other cell phone I have had. I just feel so left out with all the folks not having these problems on Android platforms. I have complained to Verizon, and get everything from "We know it is an issue and an update is coming" to "I haven't heard about this being an issue with this phone".... I tried as recently as today, and got the "what issue" response. It is really annoying when one part of the company publicly acknowledges the issue including a C level executive, and the rest of the Verizon support organization is not on the same page, and think you are just trying to get them to give you another free phone.... They apparently are calling Palm support and having somebody from Palm talk to me on these phone calls too, but they seem oblivious to the issue.

I know I am preaching to the choir, but this has to get fixed somehow! I am really surprised with so many people complaining, Palm (now HP) hasn't really responded on this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12