Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I should be picking up my replacement Pre from Sprint this week but I have to remove all of the patches, Preware, etc first. I've never had to switch before so I was hoping to get some tips as to what all gets returned when I log into my Palm Profile. Will I have to redownload any apps (from the App Catalog, I assume I'll have to redownload any homebrew apps on my own)? If I use the Checkbook app do I have to export those files and import them on the new phone? Any tips are greatly appreciated.
    The only stuff I lost when I got a new phone was homebrew stuff and book marks to web pages. It took a long time for all my apps and stuff to re-download, but they all came through just fine. (and automatically, the Sprint rep triggered the start of the download, and I just waited for it to finish.)

Oh, and I lost one email account (of 3) because I forgot my password and entered it wrong and everything got messed up. I had some trouble with another account because there was so much stuff in it that the sync timed out or something. I fixed that by installing it in airplane mode, and then letting it sync. If you search on my user-name you might find a thread talking about that.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I would do a manual backup, then turn off the backup utility, which will erase the last backup, then turn backup back on and do another manual backup. That will have all the latest data for your Profile saved on the Palm servers in case you have any issues with it reloading on your new phone. Also, for your apps, check out Save/Restore in Preware. That will allow you to save any progress in your apps. Once you get your new phone, you will have to reload Preware and any patches you have. Hope that helps.
    I'm also getting a replacement for my launch day Sprint Palm Pre. However, I've been wondering what will happen with my apps that I got for free when they were initially offered in the App Catalog but now cost money. Will they reload with all my other apps? I've been doing various searches, but I can't seem to find the answer.
    Folded up pieces of paper -> Palm Pilot 1000 -> Palm IIIx -> Handspring Visor -> Sony Clie -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Sprint Palm Pre
    before you let them activate, do at least 5 things, in this order:

1) make sure you run a manual backup using the palm backup app. don't assume it has been running automatically.

2) install and use the patch that exports your contacts and emails them as a csv attachment. even if your contacts are in gmail, do it. more backup is better.

3) update your save package list in preware

4) run the save/restore app and backup all apps listed

5) copy everything from your usb partition to your PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonp2 View Post
    I would do a manual backup, then turn off the backup utility, which will erase the last backup, then turn backup back on and do another manual backup. That will have all the latest data for your Profile saved on the Palm servers in case you have any issues with it reloading on your new phone. Also, for your apps, check out Save/Restore in Preware. That will allow you to save any progress in your apps. Once you get your new phone, you will have to reload Preware and any patches you have. Hope that helps.
    please DO NOT turn off the backup utility. Something has changed at palm and many (including me) are finding that once you turn it off you cannot turn it back on.... You definitely don't want to do this.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I just did this exact same thing two days ago, The above poster's 5 steps are correct

before you let them activate, do at least 5 things, in this order:

1) make sure you run a manual backup using the palm backup app. don't assume it has been running automatically.

2) install and use the patch that exports your contacts and emails them as a csv attachment. even if your contacts are in gmail, do it. more backup is better.

3) update your save package list in preware

4) run the save/restore app and backup all apps listed

5) copy everything from your usb partition to your PC.

I would add one more step before turning in the phone, I would web doctor the phone back to stock, if they see anything on the phone "non stock" they may refuse the return.

After you get the new phone back, it will take for ever to reload all your app catalog apps depending how many you have.

Once done you can copy over the saved restore folder from your computer and run the save restore app to reload all your saved data, and saved package list for patches and homebre apps.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    please DO NOT turn off the backup utility. Something has changed at palm and many (including me) are finding that once you turn it off you cannot turn it back on.... You definitely don't want to do this.
    I guess I must hav missed that one somewhere. Thanks for the heads up!
    check out the save restore link in my sig
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help everyone. I picked up my replacement Pre today...and returned it for my old phone two hours later. The replacement they provided me was much worse than the one I currently have so I told them I'd rather just go back altogether. The touchscreen was not very responsive and the phone altogether was sluggish and unusable. I decided it was better to have my old phone that is permanently stuck in headset mode instead.

On the plus side, I did doctor my phone for the first time and will just run the Save/Restore app once I get home and hopefully be back to where I started. Thanks again!
    Hope all works out

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Is a Full Erase (option on the phone) the same as a WebOS Doctor?

Got it, Doctor please
    Last edited by Shineon; 03/08/2011 at 11:32 AM.