1.    #1  
    So as we all know the 2.1 doctor is out for o2 and woi is making a meta doctor for US pre users to use. However, I just read that they can't distribute it because it would be illigal.. Does this mean that I would have to make my own meta doctor to put 2.1 on my pre plus? I know a pretty good amount, but not enough to make my own meta doctor. I do want to wait till a more stable doctor comes out.
    I believe you're confusing things.
    MetaDoctor is a tool used to package up custom webos Doctors. It is not illegal to distribute it, or the instructions on how to package custom Doctors.

What IS illegal is to create a custom doctor for, say, a Verizon Pre+ and distribute that.

So unless HP releases a 2.x webOS doctor for your carrier and device you will need to use the metadoc procedure to get 2.x.

The other alternative i believe, is if a third party were to offer this as a service.

Edit: Your question was basically answered by someone more knowledgeable than i, find that here.
    Last edited by NickVTPre; 02/22/2011 at 08:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I believe you're confusing things.
    MetaDoctor is a tool used to package up custom webos Doctors. It is not illegal to distribute it, or the instructions on how to package custom Doctors.
    Actually, the Meta-Doctor is a custom made doctor made by the tool that Rod has developed. Distributing Meta-Doctors is illegal.

What IS illegal is to create a custom doctor for, say, a Verizon Pre+ and distribute that.
    Making a custom doctor for anything is not illegal in itself, but yes to distribute it is.

The other alternative i believe, is if a third party were to offer this as a service.

Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    So as we all know the 2.1 doctor is out for o2 and woi is making a meta doctor for US pre users to use. However, I just read that they can't distribute it because it would be illigal.. Does this mean that I would have to make my own meta doctor to put 2.1 on my pre plus? I know a pretty good amount, but not enough to make my own meta doctor. I do want to wait till a more stable doctor comes out.
    webOSWorld.com is seriously considering adding a Meta-Doctor service to their list of services (along with the Sprint Pre 2 service...). I'd say if the demand is enough for it, we'll most probably offer it.
  4.    #4  
    Okay well.. If someone gets 2.1 for verizon...let me know lol
    LOL didn't we just help the OP recover from putting a beta on her phone?

....please, step away from the doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Actually, the Meta-Doctor is a custom made doctor made by the tool that Rod has developed. Distributing Meta-Doctors is illegal.
    *Actually* , I use the term Meta-Doctor for the tool, and "custom doctor" for the output.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by GotaPre View Post
    so it is legal?
    the tool to nake the custom doctor is legal. Distributing the custom doctors is illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    *Actually* , I use the term Meta-Doctor for the tool, and "custom doctor" for the output.

-- Rod
    INTERESTING... I always thought it was the other way around... haha. Thanks for the clarification. My apologies to NickVTPre.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    LOL didn't we just help the OP recover from putting a beta on her phone?

....please, step away from the doctor.
    LOL but this time it's different. Webos Internals is involved ;D