Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    1. I wasn't able to sign into Google Chat in Messaging (using same login as used in Mail) in 1.4.5 and I still can't in 2.1. No error message is offered; buddies are simply not shown, and when composing a new IM no buddies are offered when typing a name (only SMS contacts)
    2. Alarms are recovered through Palm Profile, and are displayed more compactly in list format
    3. The shortest permitted alarm duration is a whopping 5 minutes
    4. No improvements to Tasks nor Memos (although I noticed the Exchange settings in Mail offer to sync Tasks)
    I updated my Voodaphone Pre+ yesterday. Currently with a new profile.
    Some questions:

1) Can I re-activate 2.1 without using the Doctor again? (there is no "Show First Use app" patch in Preware, btw)

2) If I still must use the Doctor, is there any way to activate my profile over Wi-Fi, not 3G?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Can I get some feedback from UK Pre- owners who've carried out the update using meta-doctor? What does/doesn't work? The thing I'd particularly like to know is were you able to connect with your main Palm profile? Thanks!
    ok this is to be downloaded on the phone right? I just did that and my phone won't open a .jar file???? What's up with that???
    Sue
    No, you don't download that on your phone. You download it to your Mac or Linux PC (or use a virtual machine). Then you download the original webOS-Doctor, modify it via meta-doctor and then run it on your PC to doctor your device.

<= already did it and is running 2.1 on his O2 Germany Palm Pre- without a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkvs View Post
    1) Can I re-activate 2.1 without using the Doctor again? (there is no "Show First Use app" patch in Preware, btw)
    Don't think you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkvs View Post
    2) If I still must use the Doctor, is there any way to activate my profile over Wi-Fi, not 3G?
    Yes you can. I did this today after realising the possibility. Use save/restore to save your wifi-settings. In the zip you will find "prefsDB.sl". I don't know where you have to copy this in OS-X but on Ubuntu you have to copy it to ".ssh" in your home folder (where the folder meta-doctor is as well), use STRG + H / CTR + H to see the invisible folders. You have to rename it though, I don't remember in which way. It is explained in the makefile.

Then change in the makefile that wifi should be restored and voila. As soon as the phone boots after being doctored it connects to your wifi.

If only I had known this yesterday, then I wouldn't need to pay like 10 Euros for data roaming ....
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 02/23/2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I have been reading it, but there's barely anyone posting with the same exact phone (carrier/location) as me so it's hard to gauge how well it works.
    UK Palm Pre Plus working great with the O2 germany official ROM.

Slowly restoring my applications settings/patches etc..
    Certainly appears faster than 1.4.5
    My Pre Plus feels slow on 2.1 - being used to Uberkernel has raised my expectations. So if you are using an overclocked phone, you might want to delay the update until an overclocked 2.1 kernel is available.

The Task sync with Exchange is dangerously broken in 2.1, unfortunately. It removes all recurrence patterns, start dates, and categories from all tasks in the Exchange accounts, and messes up the formatting of text notes inside the task entry. This is worse than 1.4.5, where it "only" removed recurrence patterns, but left the other fields alone.

Fortunately, you can now selectively enable which item types to sync per account, so task sync can be disabled while keeping calendar, contact, and email sync active.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Even if they had step by step instructions, do you think it would be really that smart to just leave them out like a cupcake recipe for people to try out?
    I didn't think about that. Of course, it's up to people if they screw up their phones, but I agree it's too early to write down instructions for something that's still in deep deep tinkering phase.

If you have limited or zero programming knowledge, even with the instructions sitting there in front of you, how would you know if you screwed something up before irreversibly damaging your phone?

As for your last "Is it true" question, this is taken from Post #1 Meta-Doctor Thread quote by rwhitby:
    Yes, I saw that. It doesn't answer my question about IF some day there will be an easy-peasy upgrade package. But it's very worth a read anyway.

I think exercising a little more patience at this point wouldn't hurt. We've all waited weeks/months/years already.
    That's some great advice. I just was feeling the rush for something new, long awaited for. But it's too delicate to handle in a hurry. So I'll keep on learning, while waiting for more information. I was a bit worried that there were lots of different issues, some even contradicting, after the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Even if they had step by step instructions, do you think it would be really that smart to just leave them out like a cupcake recipe for people to try out?
    I didn't think about that. Of course, it's up to people if they screw up their phones, but I agree it's too early to write down instructions for something that's still in deep deep tinkering phase.

If you have limited or zero programming knowledge, even with the instructions sitting there in front of you, how would you know if you screwed something up before irreversibly damaging your phone?

As for your last "Is it true" question, this is taken from Post #1 Meta-Doctor Thread quote by rwhitby:
    Yes, I saw that. It doesn't answer my question about IF some day there will be an easy-peasy upgrade package. But it's very worth a read anyway.

I think exercising a little more patience at this point wouldn't hurt. We've all waited weeks/months/years already.
    That's some great advice. I just was feeling the rush for something new, long awaited for. But it's too delicate to handle in a hurry. So I'll keep on learning, while waiting for more information. I was a bit worried that there were lots of different issues, some even contradicting, after the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    It's not to difficult to sort this one out, it just requires editing one of the config files on the pre
    I would like to know how as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    I would like to know how as well!
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ync-patch.html
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Just a datapoint for those who're interested.

-UK O2 activated Pre Plus
    -uninstalled existing novacomm on Win7x64 (can't detect the device if I don't do this first)
    -downloaded and ran the webosDoctor.jar file from post #1 of this thread
    -old 1.4.5 profile can be reused (probably need to specify the language exactly the same as what was found in the Palm Profile webpage)
    -apps/data automatically restored
    -caller ID, sms work (Singapore Singtel)
    -appstore works (though I can only buy free stuff)
    ha, all here in france are having the entire app catalogue working
    Actually running on Palm Pre Plus - France -
    Next phone : Palm Pre 2/3? ! WebOs Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    UK Palm Pre Plus working great with the O2 germany official ROM.

Slowly restoring my applications settings/patches etc..
    Certainly appears faster than 1.4.5
    Sounds good, so is it possible to do the 2.1 update on an o2 UK device using the german update files without using Webdoctor or any other hacks?
    Quote Originally Posted by C320 UK View Post
    Sounds good, so is it possible to do the 2.1 update on an o2 UK device using the german update files without using Webdoctor or any other hacks?
    Should be fine so long as you have a Pre Plus. If you (like me) have a Pre then you need to meta-doctor. I delved into this the other day and made a doctor but I didn't try it out and now my PC has died and I need to rebuild windows so it will be a while before I can do this again.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Should be fine so long as you have a Pre Plus. If you (like me) have a Pre then you need to meta-doctor. I delved into this the other day and made a doctor but I didn't try it out and now my PC has died and I need to rebuild windows so it will be a while before I can do this again.
    Yes it's a Pre Plus. I have an original Pre somewhere in the house but that's another story (my 2 1/2 year old hid it at Christmas!). Where can I find the link, when I enter my serial number it says WebOS 2.1 is available for o2 Germany and the current version for o2 UK is still 1.4.5

If I carry on to try to donwload the WebOS doctor for 2.1 it presents me with the link for the 1.4.5 WebOS doctor.

The link I tried was here:

http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/serialnumberinitial.htm

I may just wait for o2 UK to release their version but I am impatient too! I love my Pre! I have also downloaded what I believe is the image file webosdoctor101ueude-wr so can I just run this somehow to update my Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by C320 UK View Post
    Where can I find the link, when I enter my serial number it says WebOS 2.1 is available for o2 Germany and the current version for o2 UK is still 1.4.5
    Try the wiki of all versions here:

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

This has a direct link to the German 2.1 doctor on the palm website which you can download. Much easier than the web based service as you can download the doctor and reuse it later if you need to. It also bypasses the carrier check in the web service. The actual doctor file should work on all world ready pre+s without modification.

I have my doubts that O2 UK will ever release a 2.1 doctor for Pre+, much less any sort of solution for us Pre minus customers. My contract is up in April though so I can finally say goodbye to O2 and their terrible coverage and support.

Just seen your last line. That sounds like the right file. It should end with .jar. If you click (and you have java installed) it will run the doctor.
    Last edited by andyhurley; 02/25/2011 at 08:31 AM.
    Thanks, started the update now.

I had a couple of issues, firstly the jar file was coming down and being saved to my PC as a ZIP file. Renaming te file extension got over that hurdle.

The update instructions (in my view weren't straight forward) but it's running at the moment, almost 80% complete.

Will post more info on my results shortly
    All done, now running HP WebOS 2.1 on my Pre Plus on o2 UK. Went pretty smoothly and really pleased to see WebOS 2.1 on the Pre Plus. Well done HP/Palm & o2.

Early thoughts are speed seems at least the same or better. Like the card stacking, universal search bar and exhibition mode.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast